“I love this place. It has surprisingly good sushi and the Korean Ba bim bap is wonderful.”
Review of Ichiban

Reviewed February 28, 2008

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

• Korean first
slunch
“Go for the Korean dishes but not the sushi”
Reviewed August 30, 2007

We've driven past Ichiban for over 20 years on our way to Costco so our curiosity finally got the better of us. In mid-August 2007 we took our party of 4 adults and a toddler for dinner at Ichiban. We arrived around 5:30 to avoid the dinner rush. We were greeted warmly by the staff and seated promptly since the restuarant was fairly empty. We ordered several Korean dishes, udon noodle soup for my little boy, and a Chiarashi plate for me. I am a sushi fan so I know what good sushi is.

The atmosphere was nice but there wasn't anything that stood out. We were served several small side dishes (Korean appetizers) as we waited for our food to be cooked or served. The side dishes were ok. We liked some but not all. We liked the Korean main dishes alot. The kalbi and bulgogi were really good but the serving size looked small. We orded the seafood plate (serving for 2) that would be cooked on the flaming grill at our table along side the kalbi and bulgogi. I would not recommend the grilled seafood plate (serving for 2) since it was pricey and consisted mostly of squid, a few mussles, 2 clams and perhaps some shrimp. If you like tough squid then go for it.

I was extremely disappointed with the raw fish in my Chairashi dish. The fish didn't look fresh at all. Although they didn't quite tast fishy, there was a slight odor. A few of the raw pieces tasted like eating wet paper. It seemed like the fish was sitting in water for too long that it soaked up the water. Not good at all. The salmon and other pieces also didn't taste or smell like they were fresh. Each time I swallowed a peice of raw fish I kept hoping that I wouldn't get an upset stomach or some other ailment after dinner. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed with the sushi at all.

I have little to say about the seafood udon noodle. It was good but not great.

Our check came to $140 (including tax/tip) for 4 adults and 1 toddler. Our party left Ichiban stuffed but not fully satisfied. If you want sushi then I would recommend going elsewhere. Go there if you want Korean dishes like bulgogi or kalbi. Lastly, I didn't get sick from the sushi that evening.

2 Thank slunch
A TripAdvisor Member
“Authentic Korean food!”
Reviewed July 5, 2006

I have been to Ichiban for dinner while I stayed in the town for a business trip. They serve both Japanese and Korean, but I went for Korean as it's my favorite. I loved their food - very authentic Korean, I thought. I'm actually asian origin and have been in the U.S. for more than 10 years. I have tried a lot of Korean restaurants, but ended up with finding it so difficult to have good, not so much Americanized Korean dishes except in big cities. However, Ichiban was different. They also showed nice service and nice hospitality. I paid about $40 for 2 people without drinks. I know it is a bit expensive, but it's worth the price.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member