“Herpes, anyone?”

Growler's of Gaithersburg
Ranked #11 of 334 Restaurants in Gaithersburg
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: J.A. Belt building is considered the oldest commercial property in Gaithersburg. The building has recently undergone a complete historic restoration and is listed on the National Historic Registry. The marriage of the old and new in this historic building creates a unique environment well suited for the reproduction of our turn of the century tavern. Hand-crafted beers and an excellent American menu keeps them coming back!
Maryland
“Herpes, anyone?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2009

We have lived in the Gaithersburg area for years and have been to this restaurant several times. In the beginning their menu was uninteresting and limited, but a few years ago they totally revamped their menu. There were many more selections and smaller portions at reasonable prices and the food is good. My husband really likes their beer. However, the last time we were there a couple months ago I had been drinking lemonade out of my glass when I realized there was lipstick on it. I asked for, and received a new glass. This episode sickened me. Either they are not running their dishwasher at a high enough temperature or they are overloading their dishwasher racks. Either way, none of their dishes are likely getting clean, and you wouldn't know it unless you got a very visible sign - like lipstick on your glass. I will not go back to this restaurant because of this. Their chairs are also incredibly hard and uncomfortable. Makes for faster turnover, I should imagine.