“Nice little neighborhood restaurant”

Acajutla Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #190 of 346 Restaurants in Gaithersburg
Cuisines: Mexican, Salvadoran
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I usually get a fijita - always tasty, and a nice flan for dessert. Whatever we've gotten has always been good. They have both Mexican and Salvadorean appetizers. Excellent service. Haven't been there lately - cut back on eating out due to trying to lose weight. However, used to go there a lot and wouldn't mind going back. Small but cheerful place - makes a great change from home cooking.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

We've been here many times, always returning for the food, which has always been very good. Whether more traditional Mexican dishes (burrito, enchiladas, etc.) or more Salvadorian food -- the fish and shrimp dishes are especially good, Acajutla never disappoints food-wise.

This time however, service was spotty. At one point, I had to interrupt our server's txting to get her to bring the water we had requested. She also brought the wrong entree, and, as she did not check up on us, we had to send it back with another server. Our server then apologized and service was fine after that. A lot of tables were waiting that night, but the restaurant was not packed.

As this is the first time we've had poor service and the food is TERRIFIC, we'll still definitely go back, but hope that service is better next time.

Prices are also very reasonable.

Reviewed January 9, 2012

I love this place. besides the typical Mexican selections, they have the best meat and fish dishes of any Hispanic resturant I have visited. A great selection of tasty dishes. I have never been disapointed. All my friends love this place too!

Reviewed December 6, 2011

We first visited Acajutla more than 12 years ago as we lived in the neighborhood. It became one of our favorite restaurants in the Gaithersburg area. Our family, including children, have never been disappointed in any food or drink selection. We moved away 5 years ago, but still go there whenever we are in the area visiting our children. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone I knew. Great food and great value.

Reviewed March 3, 2011

This restaurant has excellent Mexican food. The menu offers a great range of selections. I particularly like this restaurant because it is local, and not a chain. This allows them to develop their own authentic flavors and to keep the prices reasonable. I am particularly fond of their Cheese Papusas. They do all the regular dishes, but really excell on some of the less standard items. The servings are huge and the service is cheerful.