“Good Comfort food”

Not Your Average Joe's
Reserve with OpenTable
Not Your Average Joe's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 346 Restaurants in Gaithersburg
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Service was excellent! Bartender assisted with pairing wines with entrées. Fresh, comforting and tasty!

Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Stumbled on this place and decided to give it a try. Restaurant side was very busy so we chose to sit at bar. The whole experience was pleasant. They had an excellent draft beer selection and the food was very good. We had the Caribbean chicken tenders and pulled pork pretzel bites. Definitely recommend NYAJ and will return.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

There were lots of thoughtful little touches, like attractive cloth napkins, and quality steak knives that actually cut. We were positively well impressed too by the many thoughtful choices on the menu. Joe's offers something for every taste. We had the schnitzel which was crisp and delicately pan fried, and the chicken Carbonnara with a "no garlic" cream sauce. No, it was not a classic Carbonnara, but still a true winner with many crunchy bacon bits and tiny veggies hidden in the sauce - first class touches. Gold medals for all the staff! Greeters by the door were expertly organized to seat customers according to their preferences inside or out, booth or table, and bright lights or soft romantic lights, wow! When our server, Silvia, couldn't answer a preparation question, a cook, Courtney came from the kitchen to explain the prep to us. Both the manager and the asst. mgr. came by to ask if everything was ok. At all levels the service was splendid. We observed the other wait staff, and they all seemed to be well trained and well organized to serve the customers quickly and efficiently. For the Gaithersburg and Germantown areas, a snappy, well trained wait staff is a miraculous event worthy of a first page news article. For drinks, there are sodas and flavored teas that are "bottomless" meaning no charge for unlimited refills. Try a glass of the raspberry ice tea, delicious. The atmosphere is clean, new, and bright, and not too noisy. Outside tables fill up magically as soon as the sun starts to fade. The outside terraces are quite nice for late drinks with plates of appetizers. Overall, our visit was a most pleasant dining experience. Go Joe!

Reviewed September 28, 2013

We have eaten here twice while visiting friends in the area. We have always had a great meal. Food is well prepared and menu is very varied. Love their bread and olive oil dipping sauce! Service is very good. They have outside seating on the patio, which is very nice. The only thing I had an issue with is they just installed outside over head heaters, we had to ask to have the one near our table turned off it was too hot.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Went to dinner the other night with my daughter. The waitress was nice and brought us the bread and dipping sauce which is delicious but the bread was cold. The first time we went when they first opened the bread was nice and hot and made it even more wonderful with the dipping sauce but the last time we went and this time the bread was cold. I asked the waitress if she could get us bread fresh from the oven and she said she would warm this up for us which she did as it was nice and crispy but it took a while as she may have forgotten about us. I think if the expectation that the bread is supposed to be at least warm then they shouldn't bring it to the table until it's warm and just tell the customer that they are waiting for it to get warm and they will bring it out as soon as it's ready so at least you know what's going on. Also I like it crispy but my daughter just likes it warm. I think they need to work on that. I got the Mona Lisa Chicken salad which is about the only thing I get and my daughter had the salmon dinner kids portion which is a nice size portion. My salad comes with grown up chicken tenders which I love because they are so crispy and a nice salad with strawberry's and little balls of mozzarella. It was very good and the salmon was also very good and came with mashed potatoes and asparagus and they were both good as well. The service was good, the waitress was pleasant but could have been a little more attentive. It wasn't very busy as it was a week night and I think it would have been nice to see the manager walk around to see if everyone was doing alright. They also did that when it first opened. Overall I like going their when I am in the mood for the Chicken Mona Lisa and the restaurant is also relaxing when it isn't too busy.