“Disgusting” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
Fairmont, West Virginia
“Disgusting”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

This was the worst motel I've ever stayed in, and a low price is no excuse for skimping on the very basics. The room was supposed to be non-smoking, but smelled awful, clearly having been smoked in. The tub had permanent black stains across the bottom. Housekeeping consisted of exchanging our 4 used towels for 2 clean ones - no evidence of having cleaned the bathroom or vacuumed, and they certainly didn't make the beds. The door lock didn't work very well, as we had slide the card multuple times to open it. The lock that only lets the door open a few inches was not secured to the wall very well, and likely would have given way had an intruder tried to force it. If I could have given this dump 0 stars I would.

Room Tip: Don't even bother with this dump.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Orlando
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I cannot express how horrible this Motel 6 is. My boyfriend and I would rather have slept in the car and bathed at the car wash. This was extremely overpriced for what it was. The bed felt like we were sleeping on the floor. I didn't want to touch anything. Some of the outlets did not work, and it stated on a sign outside "free wifi"...bull crap!!! I could not WAIT to get out of that place. It was the most disgusting place I've ever stayed...never again!!! Keep driving or sleep in your car. You wil be better off!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank D L
Rochester, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I stayed here for one night while traveling to Washington, DC with my husband. I should have known better considering how much cheaper it was than other hotels in the area - we paid $64.99 for the night. We requested a room (in advance) that was smoke free and pet free. Well it was a "non-smoking" room but the rooms on both sides were smoking. The man at check-in told us if this did not suffice we would not be penalized and we could stay somewhere else. However, there were no other hotels with availability in the area. The room smelled very strongly like stale smoke, and while we didn't see any pet fur, there was an ant in the bed as soon as we pulled back the sheets. I would highly recommend that they keep their smoking rooms and non-smoking rooms as separate as possible - not intermixed throughout the corridors.

The bathroom was gross - the tub had all sorts of residue on the floor that looked like vomit. There was hair on the shower curtain. We were afraid to walk around without shoes on which made it very difficult. The bath towels were EXTREMELY small and they didn't give you any shampoo - soap only.

Within 24 hours I had 5 bites on my back side. Not sure what they were from, but I could only assume this hotel. I've never had bites like these in a concentrated area.

It's sad that this is what you get for $65. That is only "cheap" by American standards.

I would never stay here again. It's worth paying a bit more to stay at a nicer chain. I can't believe Motel 6 would actually allow someplace like this!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms! I would recommend a 2nd or 3rd floor room so that there is a less chance of...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank goldengirl217
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

I have been to a lot of motel 6 in my life and this was the most downgraded one of all. The bed is caves in on one side, the bathroom is tiny and the tub looks filthy. I want to take a shower and there was a Roach climbing up the wall. I dang near pooped my pants. For $72 a night I would expect something a lot cleaner and at least an upgraded TV. Can you say old school.

• Stayed March 2012
Boston, Ma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

We stay at everything from 5 stars in U.S. and Europe to motels on road trips across the U.S. usually 40 stays a year. So our expectations are pretty well balanced. We use budget hotels like Comfort Inn or Econo lodge on road trips particularly when that is about all there is. This hotel is cheap at about 70 a night for a couple and we took it because they take pets and we had one along this time.

The motel needs work, while fairly clean everything is worn, even a few broken items and you don't even get shampoo. Towels the size of dish towels. I would expect somebody is going to renovate this place or else it just turned over and a family is trying to get on their feet running it. Nice enough staff but keep your expectations in check. Right near I-270

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor and the back of motel which is on a rail line
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank cjmarkie
Santa Fe, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

My husband and I chose this hotel because it was very close to his parents home where we had planned to attend a family birthday party. The hotel rate was cheap enough, but the property was filthy! Even though we had chosen a non-smoking room, the bedspreads had multiple holes from cigarette burns. When I went to use the shower, the surface of the bath tub was dirty with some kind of grey silt and hair. We chose to use the elevator to go to our room on the 3rd floor. There was food caked on the floor of the elevator, and food wrappers on the pathway to our room. We travel all over the world, and we have never encountered a more dirty environment in a hotel. My husband took pictures of our room and its surroundings and has sent them off to the corporate offices.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Penngal_11
La Plata, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2010

I use them about 4 to 5 times per year. I always have clean linens, and the room is clean. The staff is always friendly and accommodating to my needs. If you are looking for something fancy or room service, try one of the super expensive hotels in the area. But if you want a nice room to sleep in, and be close to area restaurants and local parks and clubs,and not pay outrageous prices? pick Motel 6 Gaithersburg.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gaithersburg
Holiday Inn Gaithersburg
TownePlace Suites Gaithersburg
TownePlace Suites Gaithersburg
#11 of 15 in Gaithersburg
3.5 of 5 stars 75 reviews

Been to Motel 6 Washington, DC - Gaithersburg? Share your experiences!