“Long time customer” 4 of 5 stars

washington grove, MD.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Long time customer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I read all the reviews to date. I have to say, being a long time (15 years or more) once or twice a week customer of Ricardo's, I have seen the ups and downs at Italian Pines. By far the best waiter/waitress there is Sonia. She has been there for more years than I care to remember. If Richardo could ever get the guys, Tito and Kevin to stop playing on their smart phones long enough to watch their customers, things would be much better. Italian Pines went through a move from a place where they made a name for themselves to their current location. It went well at first, but I truely think the male waiters lack of effort to keep the customers happy is the only downfall. I sit and watch them in action if you could call it that. Also, if Richardo would think about a junior's menu and a seniors menu where the seniors could actually afford to buy a great piece of Rock fish and enjoy it, I believe he would be top notch. Hey I love the food, everything I eat there is top notch. I have sent many of my friends there and they go every week too. A lot of my Town neighbors go there!! I love the salads, everything is fresh. The breads are made fresh daily, the pizza dough included. The fish are fresh, the toppings for the pizza are fresh not canned. You can tell Ricardo has gone the extra mile to make the food taste wonderful. Yes, once in a while they get busy, when they are ask for Sonia, she can handle the extra load and still smile and laugh. Once in a while they will get busy and do not have the bus boy which puts an extra load on the waiters/ waitress. Richardo needs to spend more time up front and seat the people to keep the flow going well, but I think the strain of trying to keep his wonderful restaurant afloat through this terrible time has been hard on him. If you want a good meal at a great price go check out Italian Pines. Go early, between 5 and 6:30 any day. Ask for Sonia ask her to close the curtains, turn down the lights, listen to some good Italian music, and enjoy your meal.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank gordy1955

Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Really good fish”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

This place has very good pasta and fish dishes that are very reasonably priced. We've been eating there for more than 10 years, before they moved to their current location. Friendly servers and fresh, well-prepared food. They never miss!

• Visited July 2013
Boston
“Great pizza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I can't speak to eating in at this restaurant, but we often get take-out pizza, and we like it a lot. The sauce is somewhat unusual, in a good way--seems fresher than most. The crust is good, too. We usually get salad to complete the meal, and it's unremarkable.

• Visited July 2013
Montgomery Village, Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The real (Italian) thing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I used to go to Pines of Rome in Bethesda, and was so disappointed that this wasn't closer to Gaithersburg. I was thrilled when this spin-off arrived here. The food is classic Northern Italian. You can expect fresh, homemade sauces. So, don't be surprised if the marinara is chunky, not the usual smooth canned variety. The veal dishes are "real" not the frequent frozen veal patty. I highly recommend the chicken or veal saltimbocca, which are layered with proscuito ham and melted mozzarella cheese in a special white wine sauce. Also, try their pizza which is made with Fontina cheese.

I'm amazed by some of the negative reviews about service, because in over 10 years going there I have always found the waiters very prompt and polite. The best thing about Italian Pines is the consistency--in over a decade, the quality and recipes have not changed.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank jaboud
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not Kid Friendly - Don't go the if they're busy”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Because our kids are younger 12, 8, and 4, we called on our way over to make sure the wait wasn't going to be too long. We were seated about 10 minutes after arriving-not too bad.
Unfortunately, getting seated was the highlight of the experience.
After tossing the menus on the table and wandering off, our server returned to take our drink orders. Water and the drinks were delivered about 5 minutes later and we ordered our meals. After taking our orders, we didn't see or hear from our server from 20 minutes when he brought out our salads. Bread followed about ten minutes later. The bread was a mini-loaf that looked promising, but was very disappoining. The end piece was toasty and crunchy, but the middle pieces were cold and limp, barely a step above Wonderbread. The salads (a caeser and a house with a vinigrette) were OK; fairly small even for appitizer salads and the dressings were non-descript.
After another 15 minutes,the fried calamari arrived. The calamari was slightly above room temperature, but the marinara was warm. The portion was small and almost looked like they'd split a full order in half because the portion was undersized for the plate.
After we'd been seated for more than 1.25 hours, our waiter hadn't asked us how we like the salad or apitizer and hadn't refreshed our water or asked if we wanted anything else to drink (my wife and my water and wine classes sat empty for atleast 30 minutes).
When I finally asked about our main courses (the 4 year-old was beginning to stir), I was told our pizza would be out in a few minutes and that the waiter would have to check on the rest (all very basic pasta dishes). I told the waiter that we needed to cut the evening short and to cancel our order. We'd now been there for 1.5+ hours. They brought the pizza out as I was paying the bill and I had them put the mediocre pie into a "to go" box. We ended up paying $60 for 2 glasses of table wine, 3 cans of Sprite, 2 small salads, a small order of fried squid and a small pizza. I don't think I've ever left a resturant this disatisfied.
Italian Pines is very close to our home and we have friends who go there a few times a year. When we told them of our experience, they said they weren't surprised and t noted that they NEVER go there when it's busy. They indicated that the food is decent normally, but the service is always underwhelming.
We haven't decided if we'll give them another shot. If it wasn't so close to our house, I'd say no way.

• Visited March 2013