“I stay here regularly- it's great!”

HYATT house Gaithersburg
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Pennington, New Jersey
“I stay here regularly- it's great!”
Reviewed April 13, 2009

This place is great-- the staff is excellent, the room is comfortable, the included breakfast gives plenty of choice, and the afternoon happy hour is wonderful. You could even eat dinner at the happy hour and it's free! The small kitchen is perfect for business travel. I stay here a few days a month. The location is extremely central--it's easy to get to all the tech companies in Gaithersburg, Bethesda, and DC. The exercise room is larger than most, with more machines. Excellent value for the area. Highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Upstate SC
Reviewed April 12, 2009

We ended up here after Expedia messed up our reservations at a hotel nearby, and I am so glad they did. The price the Hyatt Summerfield was higher than we would have paid, but the place was worth it.

The positives:
+ We wanted a suite; the kids had a room and we had a room.
+ The kitchen was the right size for the limited use we gave it.
+ Breakfast was really good...despite the crowd during Cherry Blossom Festival, the staff took care to keep things running well.
+ Staff was very friendly and helpful.

The negatives:
- A bit pricey.
- Their shuttle doesn't run after 8 p.m. so you can't rely on it if you need a ride back from the metro station at night. Not a big deal since you can park at the metro station for $4.75 for the day.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed January 24, 2009

It's the first time I stay at this property. I was expecting to be late so I called ahead to let the hotel know the night I was going to check in that I'd arrive early in the morning. The guy answering the phone sounded annoyed. Later, the same guy at the front desk was showing his contempt as if he had a personal grudge with me. Other front desk staff were a lot more accommodating. Just a bad apple, perhaps.
I got into my room and was impressed by its size and layout. It had separate spacious living room+kitchen and bedroom. There were windows at two walls of the living room, which made it feel like a corner room with nice windows. There was an additional window in the bedroom. The room was clean. The color coordination was calming. Though I hadn't used it, there's a liquid-crystal flat screen TV in the living room.
Then I tried to go on the internet and that's when I realize it got a potentially serious show-stopper for business travelers. The network was slow, very slow, not even DSL speed. Typed in any web address, clicked "enter", and it would hang there for at least 20-30 seconds (even at 1 am!). With true high-speed internet freely available in countlessly many hotels, I cannot understand why the company, "ibahn", would provide such subpar service. I gave up any hope to remote-desktop to my company's computer to do work remotely (I did that using the same computer at Heathrow airport terminal. That's 1/3 around the globe!). If it could not even load a web page in time, forget about anything else.
Another thing that said this hotel is not for business travelers is that the hotel charge 75 cents per local call, 10% on international calls, and - get this, 5 cents a minute if your 800 call lasted more than an hour. Granted we all get cell phones, it's still surprising that a hotel would behave this way.
Overall, this hotel had a lot of potential but it remains an unrealized potential. If not for those business-unfriendly practice, I would have given it an "above average" rating.

• Liked — Suite
  • Disliked — Internet access is out dated. Phone charges.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank babblefish
Atlanta
Reviewed January 11, 2009

Just returned from 3 night stay at the Hyatt Summerfield suites and were very pleased with our experience. We had a 2 bedroom suite which has 2 full bathrooms as well as the kitchen and living area. The bedding was very comfortable.Tons of room, very clean and well maintained. The free breakfast buffet included hot items ( scrambled eggs every day, french toast 2 of the 3 days and one meat daily ( sausage, bacon or hash), as well as the usual cold items ( cereal, breads, yogurt and fruit). Housekeeping was prompt each day.

• Stayed January 2009
Plantation, FL
Reviewed November 13, 2008

Stayed at this hotel with a roomie for a conference. The free social hour (M-Th) was decent and would be considered a full meal for most: salad, soup, beer/wine, appetizers (like BBQ chicken pizza), and cold cuts. Housekeeping was somehow lacking. When I got to my two bedroom room at 4:00, only one room was clean. After an hour, a housekeeper arrived. He only spoke Spanish, and it was difficult to explain to him that only one room and the kitchen needed cleaning. Found most utensils in my kitchen encrusted with food residue. Living area was missing a curtain panel. Not quite up to Hyatt standards.

• Liked — social hour, breakfast
  • Disliked — lack of housekeeping
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
san diego, ca
Reviewed October 15, 2008

If you have a family with more than 2 children, you know how hard it can be to find an affordable hotel. Look no further than Hyatt's Summerfield Suites. The suite we got for our family of 6 was perfect. My husband and I shared a "master" bedroom while 2 of my children slept on a pull out couch and my other 2 children slept in the other bedroom on another king. My husband and I were able to watch a football game in our room in the evening while my children watched a kids' movie in the living area. The rooms provide privacy and were beautiful. The kitchen was well equipped if you had a longer stay and needed to do some cooking. We had had a very bad experience at another hotel just prior to this so it was like a breath of fresh air.

• Liked — The privacy and spaciousness for families
  • Disliked — hauling my luggage up a long flight of stairs
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
Vestal, New York
Reviewed March 14, 2008

We needed a over night stop in the DC area. The Summerfield came up on the web with a high rating and it had a special rate for the weekend, so we booked it. We got off track and called the hotel for directions. The desk person figured out where we were and after several rights and lefts got us to the hotel.

Room was very good and breakfast was okay. I would probably use it if I was going to vacation in the DC area. The train was only a couple of miles from the hotel.

• Liked — Value
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple