“Convienent location nice rooms” 4 of 5 stars

HYATT house Gaithersburg
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Gaithersburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Olney, MD
“Convienent location nice rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

We stayed here twice for a quick getaway without the kids - May and July. It's only 15 minutes away from home - not an exotic location at all, (at the intersection of 355 and Shady Grove Rd) but with it is right next to the ramp to 370 which can get you to 270 and Rockville easily - DC as well I suppose. Washingtonian Center is just a couple minutes away (Target Kohls and tons of stores and trendy places which don't interest us - but there is a lovely lake and boardwalk there) We keep kosher so we could easily get to Rockville to buy dinner. The hotel was more like condos with separate outdoor entrances which was nice for privacy. Rooms are very nice - bedroom suite with living room full kitchen and bedroom. Shower had good water pressure. There is a DVD player - our 1st night there it didnt work - maintenance came right away to fix it. 2 tvs in the room. There are 3 floors - no elevator so if you need ground floor request it. Courtyard nice with fire pit tennis court pool etc. They have a decent fitness room - ellipticals treadmills 1 bike and free weights as well as earphones (yay! - I hate going to work out then realize I have to go back to the room for them) and water cooler. You cannot adjust the thermostat in the fitness room though - and last time I was there the AC was busted - I propped the door open but it was HOT. They have a bowl of apples to take in the lobby as well as free USA Today and Wall Street Journal - that was a nice touch - BUT NO COFFEE IN LOBBY. That was a minus for me. Also there is a Food Lion and 7-11 right near by - not the greatest locations - we wanted to buy little individual ice creams (like the 1 cup portions) and the Food Lion didn't even have any. I think they have a happy hour as well at the bar. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: I suppose if you can get a room that is not overlooking the courtyard during the summer when a lot o...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Stacey F, General Manager at HYATT house Gaithersburg, responded to this review, August 25, 2014
Greetings! Thank you for writing a thorough review of our hotel and its services. It not only helps other guests but as the General Manager, I take comments such as yours and utilize them to improve the hotel. Thank you for staying with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

I only stayed for one night, but next time I'm in the area I plan on staying here. Great room! Basically its a apartment, very clean. They do have a breakfast, I didn’t have the chance to check it out so I cant speak on it. There was wifi in the room. There was one small ordeal, tried to watch a dvd in the room but the cord was frayed behind the dvd player, called down to the front desk and there was nothing he could do..asked if we could get one out from another room, but he wouldn't let us do that. So that was the only thing that was not very accommodating. Maybe next time they would think about that upon me asking, that would have been the best customer service thing to do, instead of telling me, "no, guess you cant watch a dvd"...but other than that the stay was good. And next time bring your own dvd player if you want to watch movies, lol.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 stars
Hi, thank you for commenting on your stay at the Hyatt House Gaithersburg. Your comment prompted us to ensure we have enough DVD players. We now have twenty plus. I do apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for choosing us and look forward to seeing you soon!
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

We just got back from a weekend stay at hyatt house gaithersburg and almost had to look for another hotel when we arrived at midnight (after driving 7 hours) to attend a family reunion. We had reservations for 2 nights for a 2 bedroom suite on the second floor. Much to our surprise after checking in, we were told that the buildings had no elevators. My daughter was born with a disability and is wheelchair bound. They were fully booked and I was so upset that there was no mention anywhere on their website that they actually had no elevators. If I had known, I would have booked elsewhere. Even if one is not wheelchair bound, it would be quite a feat if you have several bags to drag up 3 floors. In the end, we were transferred to a smaller 1 bedroom suite on the first floor, after waiting for them to move another reservation up to a higher floor so we can be accomodated on the first floor. We had no choice but it just took me by surprise that there still are hotels here that are not 100% handicap accessible.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Thank you for the comment regarding the Hyatt House Gaithersburg not having elevators. I do apologize that you were not made aware. It is something that me and my team are working on. I am glad we were able to accommodate you with a first floor room. Thank you for choosing us!
Lynchburg, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

The hotel was nice and clean, but very humid because of the outdoor hallways. Breakfast was alright, but people acted as if the food would run out. The television channels were a bit confusing. The pool and sitting area with fire pit looked nice. Overall a good value for a hotel which was better than a Comfort Inn or Quality Inn. The extra room and full kitchen were great.

Room Tip: All of the rooms were spacious, but being downstairs we heard the family upstairs.
    • 4 of 5 stars
Stacey F, General Manager at HYATT house Gaithersburg, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Greetings! I will ensure your comments are shared with the team. Thank you for choosing us!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

The Hyatt House is several houses. Buildings A, B, C ,D- you get the idea. We stayed in Building D which is close to the tennis court and pool. Unfortunately we were only there for one night so we didn't get to try those out. The exterior of Building D is not awe inspiring as several spots have broken off sections of wood and it needs a paint job BUT our room looked great. It was comfortable, didn't have any weird smells etc. Everything inside our room was in tiptop shape, all the appliances worked, all the utensils that were supposed to be in the room actually were! My techie/nerdy side was very pleased with all of the outlets in the room and the wifi was strong and consistent. The saddest thing for me was the H-Bar was out of cupcakes when I really wanted a cupcake. Personally I feel like no good place should ever run out of cupcakes but that's just me :-D

**Warning- if you like the higher floor there are no elevators. I always choose the highest floor in a Hyatt House because the hotel tends to appeal to families which sometimes means little kids which equals stomping across my head if my room is beneath them. Granted the highest floor is the third floor but if you are staying a while or have heavy luggage I think you should at least be aware!

Room Tip: Remember, no elevators so if you have trouble with stairs or heavy luggage, ask for a first floor ro...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
Hi, I appreciate you taking the time to put your comments in writing. It will assist us as we analyze and prioritize ways to improve our hotel. Thank you for staying with us!
Leonardtown, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

My family were looking for a hotel to stay in the area. It was nice to be able to cook dinner in our room, have access to a pool, and sport court. The morning breakfast was an added plus to this stay. We would stay at this hotel again.

Rooms
    • 5 of 5 stars
Stacey F, General Manager at HYATT house Gaithersburg, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Hyatt House Gaithersburg. I am glad our hotel met your needs. I look forward to seeing you again and thank you for choosing us!
DeLand, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We had 2 couples, one of which had a small child, plus 1 other person. Stayed in the 2-bedroom suite, one couple in each bedroom and their small child, then the single person stayed on the pull-out couch. Splitting the cost, this is the best bargain going! Each bedroom had a king bed and a flat screen tv, and a really nice bathroom. Kitchen was fully equipped, and the living area had the big couch, a lounge chair, and an eating area. The only downside was that the person sleeping on the couch had to go through a bedroom to use the bathroom if getting up at night.

One problem with our room was that we had a hard time getting the temperature to stay constant. It seemed like the a/c would run for a while and get really cold, then the heat came on to warm it up again.

The rest of the place was great too. They have a nice outdoor area - a pool, firepit with lots of chairs around, and several tables and chairs with umbrellas, and even a pergola with a grille that you could use. Free hot breakfast every morning, with a cute girl cooking omelets to order if you want. Evenings (Mon-Thu) they had a complimentary hors d'oeuvres, but we were only there Friday thru Sunday. There's a laundry, an exercise room, a basketball court, and a business area too. From the looks and location of the place, my guess is that it's geared toward business travelers who are staying for the whole week. The grounds are very well-kept. The exteriors of the buildings could use some sprucing up - there was some wood rot going on, but not where it would bother anyone inside the rooms. Roof looks pretty new. If you're going to visit DC with another couple, this is the way to do it. There is a subway station just a mile or 2 away, and that'll take you right into DC.

Room Tip: If you can, get a layout of the place and you can see where the quietest rooms will be. I always tr...
1 Thank mikeinflorida1507
Stacey F, General Manager at HYATT house Gaithersburg, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on the Hyatt House Gaithersburg. Your comments are greatly appreciated. I am glad you enjoyed the atmosphere and amenties we have to offer. Thank you for choosing us.