“Decent Place to Stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Norfolk, Virginia
“Decent Place to Stay”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

The complex is nice and compact. The staff was very professional and was able to meet my needs. The breakfast was pretty good as well as the facilities provided. The shuttle option was very handy to have as well. For the value, it is a good option.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
mjl092354, General Manager at HYATT house Gaithersburg, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Thank you for your kind words about our hotel. We are delighted that you chose to stay with us. I will be sure to share your comments with our entire team. Whenever travel brings you back to the Gaithersburg area our team is at the ready to welcome you and take care of all your needs. I hope you visit soon!

Best Regards,

Michael J. Lavoie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I'm pretty sure this place was an apartment home complex at one point. It's a series of buildings, all with apartment units (i.e. doors open to the outside, no interior hallways), each 3 stories tall, with a center courtyard with an outdoor pool, squash/bball court, bbq shelter and fire pit. The reception area is the common room with a gym, breakfast bar, and laundry. So all in all, this place is the best for a longer term stay.

Each room, like I mentioned, is a full blown apartment. Separate living room, bedroom, full size kitchen, walk in closet. Personally, I love to stay in places like this. Much more comfortable than your run of the mill hotel room. I saw they will go shopping for food at a local grocery store if you set out a list of what you need. I've never seen that before which I thought was cool.

Room was totally clean, neat and well appointed. It was a cheap stay, about $120 per night during a weekday. A lot of construction people must stay here because there was a load of pickup trucks and muddy boots outside doors. Didn't matter much to me, it was quiet and comfortable.

Important note: Bathroom only had a shower, no tub. Unless you're traveling with small kids, no big deal. It was a nice shower though, nicely tiled, glass doors, etc.

The complimentary breakfast was probably one of the best I've had recently. They had your standard fare of eggs, bacon, breads, cold cereal, fruit, juices, oatmeal. You'll find that selection anywhere. The food was all good. The one thing that set it apart was a made to order omelet bar where you selected what you want and they make the omelet for you while you wait.

This will now be my go to place for staying in suburban DC.

Room Tip: All seem to be about the same. You may want to choose one that faces inwards towards the courtyard...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Dustin T
Thank you so much for your kind words about our hotel and our team here. I am so happy that your stay was so enjoyable. Our entire team is at the ready to welcome and serve you again when travel next brings you to the Gaithersburg, Maryland area. I truly hope we will see you again in the very near future!

Johnstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 20, 2014

A good clean room for a good price. You get a real kitchen with a full fridge and stove, a roomy living-room, and free parking. They provide a shuttle to the Shady Grove Metro which is about 30 - 45 min ride to Metro Center. There is a grocery store close by.
Now the not so good, the bedroom is rather cramped with a king size bed (which is very comfortable). You need to turn sideways to get in the bed on one of the sides. The bathroom is even smaller. The door barely clears the toilet and you need to stand in the walk in shower to shut the door if your in the bathroom. That's right only a walk in shower no tub. The towel were soft and large.
The breakfast is your basic eggs, and depending on the day pancake or french toast or biscuits and gravy. Juice and coffee, also eggs to order. All in all it was filling and good.
The front desk staff is friendly.
The maintenance staff was exceptional, we had a blizzard and they were there shoveling out our cars and refused a tip "its my job to take care of you" when was the last time you heard that!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind words about our hotel. We are delighted that you chose to stay with us when you travelled to the Gaithersburg area. Know that you are always welcome and our staff is always at the ready to serve you. I will share your comments with our entire team. I truly hope we can be of service to you again in the very near future.

French Lick, Indiana
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

We got a fantastic deal on Hotwire and stayed for 3 nights while visiting family. We were in a king suite with a pull out couch in the living room and a real kitchen (Full size refrigerator, full size stove, microwave, kitchen cabinets, garbage disposal, dishwasher, dishes, pots and pans). The room was pretty much a small apartment and had been recently remodeled. The bed was very comfortable and my kids said the pullout couch was as well. The outside of the hotel is under construction as they remodel it, but I didn't notice any noise at all during our stay. I will say the outside looks a little rough in places with all the remodeling going on (and worried me a little before we saw the room), but the room was great. The free breakfast buffet was outstanding and free wifi made my kids happy! Overall this was a great value. It is going to be a very nice hotel once the remodeling is done.

Stayed December 2013
Michael L, General Manager at HYATT house Gaithersburg, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Thank you so very much for your kind words about our hotel. I am pleased your stay was so pleasant for you and your children. The good news is that the exterior remodeling is almost done and soon we will be an even more beautiful hotel with outstanding service professionals in place to serve all of our guests. I truly hope we can be of service to you again in the very near future!

Olney, Maryland
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Stayed one night (Saturday) at the Hyatt house, and i was impressed with the concept and the decor. The rooms were better than most of the high priced hotels. Living area, kitchen and bedroom are standard, but didn't get to see what the suites were like all at a very moderate price. I will definitely be going back to this hotel. Did i mention there is a free breakfast buffet with eggs, bacon, sausage gravy, made to order omelettes, ect.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael L, General Manager at HYATT house Gaithersburg, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thank you for your kind words about our hotel, our team and your recent stay. We stand committed to delivering the best in customer service and product quality. Although I have only been here 1 month I am excited to be working here. I truly hope we can be of service to you again in the very near future.

Best Regards....

ithaca
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times and have seen it deteriorate.

The good: staff is very nice and helpful; rooms have been renovated.

The bad: prices have increased, as much as 30% and value has gone down for your staying experience; most rooms have "stink" bugs that you'll run into from time to time (they are flat critters that are harmless but disconcerting to see).

The ugly: hotel has long term patrons that work on the electrical power lines (you'll notice their large trucks) and most of them seem to smoke and are otherwise rowdy, so if you are unlucky to be next to a smoker it is horrible as the smoke filtering into your room will smell like dog feces. Hotel is supposed to be nonsmoking - that means no smoking anywhere on the premises, not only in the rooms.

Recommendation: go to the Hyatt Regency in Bethesda (11 miles away) - much nicer, closer to shopping and DC, and its only a little more.

Room Tip: if you see powerline trucks near your room, ask to stay at some other part of the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank cta2
Thank you for your recent comments about your stay at our hotel. On behalf of our entire team please accept my apology that your stay was so poor. Your comments are very valuable to us as we strive to be the best in customer service and product quality. Your comments will be reviewed by our entire team and I assure you we will set out a course for improvement. I have only been here 1 month as the new General Manager and customer service is my highest focus. I truly hope we can be of service to you again in the very near future.

Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 4, 2013

This was the first stay at this hotel as well as the first for a stay at Hyatt House since they rebranded from Hyatt Summerfield Suites. I was traveling with friends and we had a 2 bedroom suite. Check in was quick and easy, and the room was spacious, clean and updated - just what I expect from a Hyatt property. Shady Grove metro station is nearby as well. Overall a great experience!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind words about our hotel and our team. I am so happy you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Although I have only been here 1 month as General Manager I am excited to be working here at the Hyatt House in Gaithersburg. I truly hope we can be of service to you again in the very near future.