“Who spilled the salt shaker?” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #153 of 334 Restaurants in Gaithersburg
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“Who spilled the salt shaker?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

Why review a chain restaurant like Red Lobster, right? Everybody knows what they get there. Well I had not been in a Red Lobster for over 20 years, but after a shopping trip, my wife and I found ourselves at the local outlet.

The service was friendly and prompt - high marks there. The eating area was clean and neat. It was a Wednesday night so had no wait to get seated.

But the problem was the food. First of all, every single item on all our plates was so over-salted that it tasted like the chef must have been trying to get rid of a week's supply of Morton's. That included the cheese biscuits, which were so salty they could have been used to melt snow. Our vegetables, rice, and fish were similar.

The second problem was that every dish had the consistency of mashed potatoes. The broccoli was so overcooked that it would barely stay on the fork. Even the shrimp were mushy, as was my fish and lobster stuffing.

The final problem is that the prices are similar to gourmet seafood restaurants, which this chain is not. To pay $50 plus tip for two at a neighborhood chain restaurant is more than this meal is worth, and made me feel ripped off.

I know many Americans love mushy, salty food. If that's what you want, go here. Or if you just need a friendly face waiting on you, go here. If you want food that has the flavor from the food itself rather than the salt, isn't incredibly overcooked, and is priced according to what you are getting, pass up this Red Lobster.

• Visited April 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

• Hungarian first
Laytonsville, Maryland
“Got to love lobster”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014

I am a seafood snob; I want the freshest and the plainest fish/seafood available. Kudos to Red Lobster during this recent Lobstahfest. I dined at lunchtime on a Tuesday - so not crowded. Yes, lots of butter, baked cheesy biscuits and salad doused in too much dressing. But we are really here for the lobster. I ordered the rock lobster( it is just a big shrimp) and a Maine tail special; but asked for. two Maine tails instead - how nice, they gave me threeMain lobster tails with a minimal up charge. The lobster tails were succulent, well flavored and tender. The fresh vegetable medley was just that: fresh. Dine here before April 13 to take advantage of the specials…a point about the specials - great selections - the price - not so much. However, if you love lobster - it is 100% worth it. YUM

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Chevy Chase, Maryland
“They sea food differently”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

Just last week I was doing some Christmas shopping when my fuel pump failed. I found myslf in unfamiliar territory, surrounded by fast food and uninviting store front eateries, with a gnawing hunger. A walk of a few yards brought to view this Red Lobster. Say what you will about chain restaurants, but the fact is that they offer a degree of uniformity, and at least an effort to conform to their own standard.

In this case Kevin, behind the bar, was right there for me, pouring me a drink and taking my order for a dozen oysters on the half shell. The kitchen apparently felt, as did I, that that day's oysters were a little on the small side, so I received fourteen. The cocktail sauce was basically good, but the platter included a ramekin of horseradish and a little bottle of Tabasco sauce, so that I could make the modifications bringing it to a perfect fit for my own taste.

When I had finished, I asked whether I might take my shells home with me. Mrs Too and I often buy shucked oysters, but prefer to serve them on the half shell. The shells will survive five or six trips through the dishwasher but must eventually be discarded. In a flash, Kevin was back out with a styrofoam take-away box containing the shells. Bravo!

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Darnestown, Maryland
“red lobster”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

mu grandkids love to eat at this restaurant. their favorite is the scrimp and crab legs. I can't believe how large the legs are. my favorite is the platter with all the stuff on it.

Visited October 2013
ithaca
“Red Lobster Biscuits”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This was a typical Red Lobster experience. My boyfriend has never eaten at a Red Lobster so I decided we had to go - if only for the biscuits (which were delicious). I ordered the shrimp scampi and it was a little bland. He ordered snow crab and seemed to enjoy it. It was an overall positive experience and it was also packed when we left! Good thing we got there before the dinnertime rush.

Visited October 2013