“Very nice, interactive evening”

The Melting Pot - Gaithersburg
Reserve with OpenTable
The Melting Pot - Gaithersburg is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #45 of 346 Restaurants in Gaithersburg
Cuisines: Swiss
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Shady Grove Rd
Reviewed March 15, 2014

The Melting Pot is a great spot for a fun/interactive evening. You select your type of cheese for your appetizer, your salad ( not cooked, of course), each person selects their entree (steak, shrimp, chicken, sausage, lobster, etc), then you all choose a type of chocolate you want to have for dessert. You spend the evening cooking and talking together. Great fun!

Reviewed January 2, 2014

We made reservations and although we were a bit late, we were still escorted into our private booth in a dark setting fairly quickly. We did like the fact that upon calling to inform them that we were running late, they allowed us to keep our reservation. Our server was Victor A. He was fine, just not exceptional. Victor also disappeared for awhile here and there. In contrast, the server that handled the tables on both sides of us was more attentive, talkative, and offered more insightful guidance to his customers than what we got.

To drink I had a couple glasses of insanely overpriced J. Lohr Cabernet Sauvignon ($12.00). A bottle of this goes for $17.00 retail, but they charge $40.00 for it here. So, markup for sure. My wife isn't big on alcohol so she opted for the lemonade ($2.50 with free refills) which was pretty good, not too sweet but not too sour either.

We ordered a four course meal ($45.95 each) which started out with the Wisconsin Trio Cheese Fondue. It was fine, but not the best selection we've had here. A bit bitter indeed. The dippers were breads, broccoli, tomatoes, cauliflower, and green apples. Overlooked by many, you can also add Italian meats to your plate for an extra $2.95 per person. The second course featured two Melting Pot House Salads which can either be dressed with peppercorn ranch or a house dressing. For me, the salad was better than the cheese fondue as I finished it all.

For our third course individual entrees we each chose the Fondue Delight which consisted of filet mignon, lobster (my favorite), chicken, Pacific white shrimp, and mushroom sacchetti. We chose Coq Au Vin (extra $5.95) as our cooking style which is burgundy wine with some herbs, spices and mushrooms. We wouldn't recommend this cooking style for those who don't really want to taste too much of the alcohol in their food (especially seafood), my wife for one thought it was a bit too strong. We were also given 6 different types of entree sauces to dip our meats into after they were cooked. As an extra bonus we were also given some warm garlic and lemon butter to dip our lobster into. Vegetables such as mushrooms, broccoli, and potatoes were also served. These individual entrees were all delicious, but we only had 2-4 bites of each of them which had me wanting more.

We finished with the last course, the Chocolate Fondue. We chose Yin & Yang and were able to substitute the dark for milk chocolate instead. The fondue bowl wasn't situated correctly so the heat was escaping which led to the chocolate not heating up. It was rather cold so not as good as I would have liked until our waiter adjusted it. Also note that white chocolate is much thinner than the darker varieties so it will quickly be overtaken by the darker chocolate and it doesn't hold the Yin & Yang design for very long which was kind of a bummer. We were given strawberries, banana slices, cheesecake, Rice Krispies Treats, marshmallows (my favorite), red velvet cakes, and brownies as our dippers.

Yes, this is an experience that's quite likely to take about 3 hours if you go all in and a dinner for two before tip may run you somewhere in the neighborhood of $130.00. This can be quite a romantic experience for those that may wish to take their partner out for a special occasion or it can be a bit more relaxed for those who like to dine out in groups. You should judge for yourself and give it a try at least once in your life.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

This restaurant has a great menu and is an experience in itself! Every time I go, it's new and fun! It is pricey.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

The price is reasonable for the dessert (about $10 per person). The service is just ok. We waited more than 10 min. to get the dessert menu. According to the waiter, there are only few dessert menu in the restaurant and we have to wait for it. (ok~~~~ what can you say....)

The taste of the dessert pot is good and worth for $10 for sure. We ordered 'Flaming Turtle' and taste delicious. Good price to bring your kid or girlfriend for dessert. The smell of the restaurant is kind of 'funny' (I don't know if I use the correct word). I think because of the mix of chocolate/cheese pot.

Overall, if you never been there, try it. It worth to give a try. I might go back again to try their Cheese pot.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

My wife and I love fondue and go to the Melting Pot maybe once a year. This is the 1st visit we've paid to the Gaithersburg location and we left very disappointed. The 1st thing we noticed when we received our 1st course of cheese fondue was how small the portions have gotten. Cheese fondue is my favorite, and I usually worry that i will ruin myself for the rest of the meal by eating too much. You couldn't even dip a piece of bread completely into the cheese, it was too shallow. I ate all of the bread myself and my wife had all of the fruit and vegetables , there just wasn't very much. Not only was the portion small, but both the bread and cheese were really lacking in flavor. This was definitely the low point of the meal.
We next had sirloin, shrimp and lobster. Again, the portions were very small. I was most looking forward to the sirloin and there were only 4 pieces. My wife wanted the lobster and had all of it. She didn't think it was very good. We split the shrimp and it was fine.
We usually debate getting dessert because of how much we have already had to eat, but that was not a concern this time. We got the pure milk chocolate. This was the best part of the meal, but like the cheese, the portion was not very big. We were scraping the sides trying to get every last bit at the end.
The service was fine, nothing great. Same for the atmosphere. It was fairly dark, so if you have poor eyesight you might need some extra light.
We have no plans to return, though we might try the Arlington location at some point.