“Not nearly as good as I remember.”

The Melting Pot - Gaithersburg
Reserve with OpenTable
The Melting Pot - Gaithersburg is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #56 of 339 Restaurants in Gaithersburg
Cuisines: Swiss
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Shady Grove Rd
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not nearly as good as I remember.”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

My wife and I love fondue and go to the Melting Pot maybe once a year. This is the 1st visit we've paid to the Gaithersburg location and we left very disappointed. The 1st thing we noticed when we received our 1st course of cheese fondue was how small the portions have gotten. Cheese fondue is my favorite, and I usually worry that i will ruin myself for the rest of the meal by eating too much. You couldn't even dip a piece of bread completely into the cheese, it was too shallow. I ate all of the bread myself and my wife had all of the fruit and vegetables , there just wasn't very much. Not only was the portion small, but both the bread and cheese were really lacking in flavor. This was definitely the low point of the meal.
We next had sirloin, shrimp and lobster. Again, the portions were very small. I was most looking forward to the sirloin and there were only 4 pieces. My wife wanted the lobster and had all of it. She didn't think it was very good. We split the shrimp and it was fine.
We usually debate getting dessert because of how much we have already had to eat, but that was not a concern this time. We got the pure milk chocolate. This was the best part of the meal, but like the cheese, the portion was not very big. We were scraping the sides trying to get every last bit at the end.
The service was fine, nothing great. Same for the atmosphere. It was fairly dark, so if you have poor eyesight you might need some extra light.
We have no plans to return, though we might try the Arlington location at some point.

• Visited September 2013

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Forget DC, Head Out to MD”
Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

Glows: Staff was extremely helpful in helping us find the spot after several phone calls. We arrived shortly before 10pm and they still served us. Our salads were great and when I asked them to alter mine because it had bacon it was done immediately without complaint. My seafood trio was great! There enough pieces of shrimp, salmon, and mahi to keep me satisfied. The ying yang dessert was poppin! White and milk chocolate fondue went well with the brownies, rice crispies, and cheesecake.
Grows: To be honest, everything went perfectly. I just wished the power did not go out and mess up the machines. We had to pay in a funky way.

• Visited July 2013
silver spring, md
“An Unusual Dining Experience”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

This place serves fondue and nothing but fondue. Everthing is cooked at the table - most of it by the diners themselves. Therefore, it is an unusual dining experience and is kind of fun.

The ambiance is also unusual in that the booths have very high walls and thus you cannot see anyone else in the restaurant (unless they happen to walk by your table). For some this may be very romantic; for me it was too private - not at all like dining in a restaurant, seeing other people and the rest of the scene.

The food was good. We started with the traditional Swiss fondue (gruyère and emmenthaler Swiss cheeses melted in a white wine mixture). It was delicious. Next, we each had a salad; mine was a Caesar salad topped with pine nuts; it was good but not great (in fact, the pine nuts were very sweet and didn't really seem to go with the salad). My wife said that her California salad (mixed greens and tomatoes) was nothing special either. Next, we shared an assortment of entrees, including: duck breast, a lobster tail, and spinach/artichoke ravioli. We cooked them at our table in a Mojo broth (a Caribbean-seasoned bouillon) and they were served with an assortment of sauces. Finally, dessert was the best: pure chocolate (dark chocolate fondue into which we dipped bananas, strawberries, cheesecake, rice crispy treats, and marshmallows).

The service was friendly, but very slow.

The prices are on the high side.

• Visited July 2013
Rockville, Maryland
“The food is wonderful but very pricey.”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

i would visit here all the time if it was not so pricey. i was pleased from the time I ate my salad to the main course to the awesome dessert!!!!

Visited April 2013
Gaithersburg, Maryland
“First timers enjoy!”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I have been to The Melting Pot a couple times, but the first time experience is unforgettable just because they offer a quite unique service. It is great for romance night! they offer an exquisite menu pairing with wine. They prepare everything on your table, nothing is made in the kitchen. Everything is fresh! I recommend this place!

• Visited May 2013