“Almost a little too quiet”
Review of Savage River Lodge

Savage River Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Frostburg B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 1, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Lodge roughly a year ago. I have recently become a "trip adivisor junkie" and thought, why not, this may help someone out. My husband booked a two night stay at the lodge for a joint birthday gift for ourselves. It is a relaxing, quiet, romantic place to stay. Almost too quiet. We are in our mid twenties and I have to say it may not be the place for someone in that age group. The cabins are very cute and cozy. The fireplace added to the cabin feel. They have a small kitchen area which is basically a few cabinets and countertop no sink. We took some sodas and teas and snacks with us and they came in handy. There is NO TV or RADIO, we did take a radio with us and I'm glad we did. If you enjoy snuggling up and watching a movie you may want to consider taking a portable DVD player. We ate lunch and dinner at the restaurant which was very good. It is pricey but we knew that when we booked the place. We did not take our dog with us, but I would think those of you that are thinking about doing that think again. I didnt see any place to take them so they could run off a leash. If you have a well behaved dog that you can let off a leash then maybe you would be ok. Overall the logde is a nice place. If you like things to do and go see and a little more action then this may not be the place for you. If you are in the MD/VA area you may want to check out St Michaels . There are some very nice places to stay there, you are right by the water and you have the little town to walk through and shop, etc. Still a pricey place to stay but you have MANY more options. Hope this helps.

Stayed: February 2006
4  Thank babalu1

Reviewed November 24, 2006

I'm afraid I can't say enough good things about this place! I was shocked to read the review written by "babydollooo" because our experience was quite different and remarkably pleasant. We visited just a couple weekends ago for a romantic "get away from it all" retreat. This was just the place. It came recommended to us by my husband's coworker and we decided to splurge for some well-deserved R&R. It was worth every penny. We brought our dog, Radley, who enjoyed his stay, too! Each morning, a carefully assembled gift basket of homemade muffins and a doggie biscuit was hand-delivered to our cabin wrapped in fabric napkins and complete with a Mason jar of orange juice and a copy of the morning newspaper. Our cabin was appropriately decorated to reflect the natural surroundings and while it wasn't quite the Ritz-Carlton, it was nonetheless clean, spacious, comfortable, and very quiet. And the bed was the best I've slept in. We loved our dinner at the Lodge, too. Our food was served promptly and it was delicious. I'm a vegetarian, so I was very pleased to see such a great selection of vegetarian dishes on a menu. I chose the Greek Pasta, which I would recommend to both veggies and carnivores alike. My husband had the rockfish, which he also loved. Both the bartender and our server were very polite and attentive, though it was apparent that the Lodge employs the local Frostburg University students who aren't very knowledgeable about either fine food or beverage and are rather there as their part time "student" jobs. If you were a guest who didn't know what they wanted by way of wine pairing or any additional food/beverage recommendations, this would be a problem. However, everyone was terribly friendly and eager to please. We ordered our dessert to go which, like our breakfast baskets, was carefully packaged in a handled basket with two sets of silverware, dishes, and napkins for us to enjoy by the fireplace in our cabin later that evening. Yes, it was a rather expensive weekend, but for that close-to-nature experience with all the amenities of a fine hotel and restaurant, you can't beat the Savage River Lodge. And you don't have to leave the dog at home!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank TwoTerrys
Reviewed November 16, 2006

attempted to go to dinner there but we waited over an hour for dinner and became angry. we really waited 1 hour and 30 minutes, no food, saw the server one time and had to ask 2 other employees where is our dinner! the said, not sure, well look! WOW! needless to say we left. on our way out we saw and heard another couple complaining about their room and their meal. no heat and dog hair everywhere. the meal was uncooked! we did see some very freindly and helful hunters on our way off the mountain and they gave us hint on where to eat and where not. THERE WAS NOT! We then went on their advise and visited a place call THE HEN HOUSE. only about 5 miles away on old rt 40.simply wonderful, great tasting food with a more than freindly staff and all smiles! we loved it and on our way back to the lodge we saw our hunter freinds again. we stopped and thanked them for the advise. they said you cant go to bed without trying our deer jerky, so we did! we sat on the tailgate of their truck and had orange koolaid and home made deer jerky with these hunters! what a wonderful group of men. they were all locals and hunted that mountain for years. i will say they were really genuine. after we ate again with them we retreated to our hairy room, got up early and left. we ont go back there again but the hen house will be a regular stop.of course if we see those deer jerky hunters well stop and say hi! too bad the lodge cant have the standard of hospitality the locals do. or the great food! ill include a photo if i can get it to list

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
8  Thank babydollooo
Reviewed October 30, 2006

Very isolated, quiet and relaxing. The individual cabins do not have many frills but are nice. The hiking trails on the property are great -easily accesible and easy to follow. The main area for improvement is the restaurant- it was fine but a little expensive for the quality of food. However, the main lodge area is charmingly rustic- nice views, great fireplace in the center of the main room, plenty of seating areas to enjoy the view. We didn't get a chance to bring our dog, but we loved seeing the owners dogs in the main lodge area.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MMMDLaurelMD
Reviewed September 11, 2006

We found the Savage River Lodge on line as we were searching for dog friendly places. We have been to the lodge oh, about 4 times now and will be returning in a week or two for another relaxing stay.....relaxing is the word about this place. I always found the cabins very clean and never found any residue of pet hair.....there is no TV that is right and that is the kind of place I want....I go there to be out of touch with the world for a few days...the hiking is great, even our dog loves the fact she can be a hiker herself.

If you want a place you can take your dog, sit on the front porch and read a book, take a short hike, put your feet in the water...and enjoy a nice meal at the lodge, this is the place for you....We have always had a great experience at the Savage River Lodge......Molly loves it too!! ;-)

• Stayed: February 2005, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Pitchn23
Reviewed August 27, 2006

First of all I have to admit that the Savage River Lodge is not a place I would have booked on my own or booked uncoerced. We stayed here only because of a family situation that's irrelevant to this review.

I say this because I suppose many persons would love what the Savage River Lodge has to offer, but it's lost on me.

The cabins are indeed rustic and earthy and actually charming, but they lack air conditioning which matters in the summer, when I was there. Also, there is no TV, which some may think is good, but I prefer a choice to either watch TV or not watch TV. My two teenaged kids agreed with me on this.

The Lodge is not near a major thruway so this is not a place to stay on the way to going somewhere else. There was a lot of 35mph driving to get there.

Finally, there was no pool. The continental breaksfast was a bottle of OJ and 4 little muffins. None of these omissions was misrepresented in any way by the Lodge.

Here's the thing: The room cost us over $300 for the evening! They charged us $170 for the room and $60 per kid! I have no idea why they charged us for the kids - food was not included.

In addition, there is no place to go in the immediate vicinity (Frostburg). They even lock up the gate at night on the only road in and you need a key to get back in! That just about means you MUST dine in their restaurant. For my family of 4 that meant about $170 for one meal.

Yup, staying there from 6PM to 10AM the next morning set me back $470+ and we that does not include a decent breakfast.

The Lodge offers some hiking trails that are not as good as what you could find at any decent state park. Deer congregate near the dining area. The Lodge's old pet dog, Bhodi, is friendly. That's it folks.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
5  Thank GerryD
Reviewed March 19, 2006

Do you ever want to just disconnect yourself from the real world, and spend some time in a simpler life style? If so, the Savage River Lodge is the place for you.

The cabins were a little more rustic than what I was expecting, but they were perfect for their location. They had every luxury that we could have asked for, from the amazing down comforter to the refreshing cedar scented toiletries. We felt as though we had a cozy little home away from home.

The setting was breathtaking. I have been living in a metrolpolitan area for so long, I had forgotten what it was like to look up at the sky at night, and see a sky full of twinkling stars. The air was so clean, and everything was so QUIET. Some of my favorite times over the weekend were the walks from the cabin to the lodge and back again. We also hiked on Saturday, and the trails were very well marked and thoroughly enjoyable.

The restaurant ....... I am not even sure where to begin. We ate three meals at the restaurant, and every single one of them was phenomonal. The food was excellent, and the service was impeccable.

Every single staff member that we encountered over the course of the weekend was helpful and friendly. We always felt very welcome.

We enjoyed this place so much that we plan to make it an annual trip ..... our one weekend every year to get away from the real world, enjoy a simpler life, and reconnect with each other.

• Stayed: March 2006
4  Thank derijr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frostburg
5 mi away
#2 of 3 in Frostburg
Lake Pointe Inn
Lake Pointe Inn
#1 of 2 in McHenry

Been to Savage River Lodge? Share your experiences!