“Relaxing/ A little overpriced”
Review of Savage River Lodge

Savage River Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Frostburg B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Laurel MD
“Relaxing/ A little overpriced”
Reviewed October 30, 2006

Very isolated, quiet and relaxing. The individual cabins do not have many frills but are nice. The hiking trails on the property are great -easily accesible and easy to follow. The main area for improvement is the restaurant- it was fine but a little expensive for the quality of food. However, the main lodge area is charmingly rustic- nice views, great fireplace in the center of the main room, plenty of seating areas to enjoy the view. We didn't get a chance to bring our dog, but we loved seeing the owners dogs in the main lodge area.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MMMDLaurelMD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
New Jersey
Reviewed September 11, 2006

We found the Savage River Lodge on line as we were searching for dog friendly places. We have been to the lodge oh, about 4 times now and will be returning in a week or two for another relaxing stay.....relaxing is the word about this place. I always found the cabins very clean and never found any residue of pet hair.....there is no TV that is right and that is the kind of place I want....I go there to be out of touch with the world for a few days...the hiking is great, even our dog loves the fact she can be a hiker herself.

If you want a place you can take your dog, sit on the front porch and read a book, take a short hike, put your feet in the water...and enjoy a nice meal at the lodge, this is the place for you....We have always had a great experience at the Savage River Lodge......Molly loves it too!! ;-)

• Liked — dog friendly
  • Disliked — no tv
  • Stayed February 2005, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Pitchn23
Long Island, NY
Reviewed August 27, 2006

First of all I have to admit that the Savage River Lodge is not a place I would have booked on my own or booked uncoerced. We stayed here only because of a family situation that's irrelevant to this review.

I say this because I suppose many persons would love what the Savage River Lodge has to offer, but it's lost on me.

The cabins are indeed rustic and earthy and actually charming, but they lack air conditioning which matters in the summer, when I was there. Also, there is no TV, which some may think is good, but I prefer a choice to either watch TV or not watch TV. My two teenaged kids agreed with me on this.

The Lodge is not near a major thruway so this is not a place to stay on the way to going somewhere else. There was a lot of 35mph driving to get there.

Finally, there was no pool. The continental breaksfast was a bottle of OJ and 4 little muffins. None of these omissions was misrepresented in any way by the Lodge.

Here's the thing: The room cost us over $300 for the evening! They charged us $170 for the room and $60 per kid! I have no idea why they charged us for the kids - food was not included.

In addition, there is no place to go in the immediate vicinity (Frostburg). They even lock up the gate at night on the only road in and you need a key to get back in! That just about means you MUST dine in their restaurant. For my family of 4 that meant about $170 for one meal.

Yup, staying there from 6PM to 10AM the next morning set me back $470+ and we that does not include a decent breakfast.

The Lodge offers some hiking trails that are not as good as what you could find at any decent state park. Deer congregate near the dining area. The Lodge's old pet dog, Bhodi, is friendly. That's it folks.

• Disliked — The cost.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank GerryD
Olney, Maryland
Reviewed March 19, 2006

Do you ever want to just disconnect yourself from the real world, and spend some time in a simpler life style? If so, the Savage River Lodge is the place for you.

The cabins were a little more rustic than what I was expecting, but they were perfect for their location. They had every luxury that we could have asked for, from the amazing down comforter to the refreshing cedar scented toiletries. We felt as though we had a cozy little home away from home.

The setting was breathtaking. I have been living in a metrolpolitan area for so long, I had forgotten what it was like to look up at the sky at night, and see a sky full of twinkling stars. The air was so clean, and everything was so QUIET. Some of my favorite times over the weekend were the walks from the cabin to the lodge and back again. We also hiked on Saturday, and the trails were very well marked and thoroughly enjoyable.

The restaurant ....... I am not even sure where to begin. We ate three meals at the restaurant, and every single one of them was phenomonal. The food was excellent, and the service was impeccable.

Every single staff member that we encountered over the course of the weekend was helpful and friendly. We always felt very welcome.

We enjoyed this place so much that we plan to make it an annual trip ..... our one weekend every year to get away from the real world, enjoy a simpler life, and reconnect with each other.

• Stayed March 2006
4 Thank derijr
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 18, 2006

The Savage River Lodge, has to be my worst lodging experience in my life. Wow. I usually like out of the way woodsy, mountain retreats, as I am an avid skier in the Rockies, The Pacific Northwest, and New England. I traditionally love lodges, country inns, out of the way type places that are unique, independently ran, and operated. But what we encountered at The Savage River Lodge, was horrible.

For starters, during the reservation process, we inquired about pets. This place is so pet friendly, on and on and on. Now, my wife, is allergic to pet dander. It is not a severe allergy, she can be around dogs, not so much cats, but she can be around dogs, even pet them, or let them come in her lap, provided she washes her hands afterwards, she, is usually fine. Now, we told them this when making the reservation, they advised me they have a Lodge dog, and I assured them this would not be a problem, however, the room had to be one that had never had pets in it. We were told, the lodge had cabins that either have never had a dog in them, or get DEEP cleaned between visits. I said either would be fine. Wrong. 2 hours into our night, my wife was wheezing, sneezing, and coughing. We took the lint roller out of our atache case, and rolled it over the blankets, and carpet in our loft bedroom, and it took ALL FIFTY SHEETS of the lint roller to get the dog hair off the comforter, and carpet. Now, I was not being a neat freak, just trying to get the carpet around the bed, the sheets, and comforter, dog hair free. The sheets were fine. The carpet, took about 20 sheets, the comforter took all of the last 30. And they were all COVERED IN HAIR. Not one or two hairs a sheet, COVERED. Terrible. Strike one.

The next morning at breakfast, a Saturday, I had hoped to have some traditional country inn fare for breakfast, maybe some type of apple cinnamon oatmeal, or a waffle, or even some type of thick french toast. Nope. None of that. Only the traditional eggs, bacon, omelettes, stuff like that. We said we would try the quiche, and something simple, 2 eggs over easy. No. Not simple. The quiche, was still runny in the middle, and the over easy eggs, were brown, almost over hard, the potatoes, were saltier then the Pacific Ocean, and the bacon was so sweet, our server, Jenny, told us it was because they cure the bacon with maple syrup. This should be a neat treat, however, it tasted like it was cooked in pancake syrup. Yuk.

We decided to spend our afternoon resting off the Lisa from Green Acres style breakfast, only to find that if you want to go to the lodge library they say they have, you have to hunt it down. Upstairs, no problem, but why not tell someone where it is? Then, the gift shop, wow. The only thing they know how to do at this lodge is slap the face of their dog, and his name on stuff, and sell it as lodge merchandise. Plenty of other shirts and hats with the lodge logo, but the dog stuff got me. We decided to try a Bodhi paw, a rather primitive dessert, caramel, chocolate, cashews, it looked nice, but was as hard as cement. I swear, I thought I would lose a filling. But, I did not. I asked at the front desk could I have it removed from my bill. The person at the desk, Tina, said with laughter "well, normally everyone likes them", which, mind you, I kept it to myself at breakfast, I said, well, I did not, so, is a refund, of a few bucks, a problem? Evidently, it was, because she snickered again, talking to another employee all the while, before getting back to us. The answer was yes, I could be refunded on it.

I had then asked her could we see the dinner menu, since we were coming in for dinner. Now, this is where I was ready to boil. I had asked, over the phone, when we made our reservations, in June, what do you have for vegetarians. I was told, that the Savage River Lodge had a vegetarian menu that their chef had written, and had SEVERAL items for vegetarians on it nightly. But now, the menu only has ONE item for vegetarians, no soup choices, no appetizer choices, only one entree. I asked at the front desk about this, same person, Tina, told me that we no longer did that, "that chef was let go this past summer", and again, her trademark laugh. I asked does the new chef not cater to vegetarians? She instucted me to tell our server about our "dillema" as she put it, I thought that word was rude, but, at any rate, the chef might be able to help me, but it was the holiday season, so, perhaps not, it really depends on the business. So, I again said, that in June, when we called, we were told you had a vegetarian menu, with soups, appetizers, salads, entrees, the young lady on the phone who took our reservation, told us that it even had sushi. My wife was WAY dissapointed on this one.

When we did get in for dinner, it was 8. Right on time. Quaint little dining room too. When seated, we got our server from breakfast again. She is a real treat, the one good thing abou this place. We told her that one of us was vegetarians, and to talk to the chef about it, after she did, she said the chef is sorry, but all he can do is the item on the menu, but she said to tell me it was a holdover from the summer vegetarian menu, and was excellent. She was psuedo right, it was ok, nothing to get too excited over though. My duck breast was burnt, and overcooked, and the creme brulee for dessert, was terrible.

The muffins and juice on your doorstep are nice, I really did like that. The mud tracked all over our front porch, by whomever delivered them, was questionable.

We chose to go and eat in neighboring Frostburg for our Sunday evening dinner, if I can make a suggestion, make the drive. Only 15 minutes, however, the dinner we got, a French place in Frostburg, is amazing, and worth the money. In fact, cheaper then the lodge, and better quality.

We maintained not complaining about anything except the candy, until the Monday checkout. We were told by the front desk person, much nicer, Melissa, that if we wished to speak to the owners, they were in the back, and they would be willing to help. We then met a Jan, who, was as nice as, well, my mother always said, if you have nothing nice to say, do not say it. We told her about our issues with dinner, she said that she was sorry, however, we could no longer do the vegetarian menu, I had mentioned the phone call in June, she again told me that it was MY fault, we should have asked for a notation to be made. Umm, ok. We also spoke about the dog hair, and she said that again, this was OUR fault, because the lodge allows pets, so, we should have expected this.

If you go to Frostburg, there are bed and breakfasts, Quality Inn, Super 8, better food, and better service. Do not waste your time on this place.

• Stayed December 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 2, 2005

I took my husband and hound for a long weekend to Savage River Lodge and it is still relaxing just to think about it. From the main lodge, each private cabin is an easy walk through a fresh pine forest. The exposed wooden beams and simple furnishings make the cabin feel like a cozy nest in the woods. Cedar-scented soaps and lotions also bring the outdoors inside.

Each morning, a basket arrives on the cabin's porch. I don't know which was the best part: the daily paper, the muffins for a satisfying breakfast, or the home-baked dog biscuit.

Another review on this site made me wary of pet hair, so we brought a couple of sheets from home to put on the couch and easy chair. That way, we didn't worry if the dog jumped up for a quick snuggle (the cabins do have a policy against pets on the furniture). That said, I think this is great place for folks with dogs. Most of trails allow off-the-leash hiking for well-behaved dogs. Our hound thought this was a great treat.

We will defintitely return!

• Stayed September 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Pittsburgh PA
Reviewed June 28, 2005

We recently returned from a weekend at Savage River Lodge, our third visit. The cabins are great; we wouldn't change a thing about them. They have plenty of space yet are very cozy. The location is excellent. Although you are in the middle of the woods with miles of fine hiking trails, civilization is a relatively short drive away. And if you tire of the trails adjacent to the Lodge, there are many more not far from the property. The Lodge itself is nicely done and a pleasant place for a meal or to hang out.

The food gets mixed marks from us. The muffin, orange juice and Washington Post delivered to your cabin in the morning is a nice touch. Brunch has always been good, if a but pricey. We enjoyed dinner on our prior visits, but on this visit dinner didn't work out well. The menu choices did not appeal to us and items we ordered did not turn out well. Perhaps our palates are not educated enough to appreciate the sophisticated offerings.

The staff has always been pleasant and helpful on those rare occasions when we wanted thier attention

All in all, we find Savage River Lodge to be a very relaxing place to spend a long weekend and we will be back soon.

• Stayed June 2005
2 Thank MobilePan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frostburg
Gunter Hotel
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#2 of 2 in Grantsville
Best Western Braddock Inn

Been to Savage River Lodge? Share your experiences!