“The Perfect way to get away from it all!”
Review of Savage River Lodge

Savage River Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Frostburg B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 19, 2006

Do you ever want to just disconnect yourself from the real world, and spend some time in a simpler life style? If so, the Savage River Lodge is the place for you.

The cabins were a little more rustic than what I was expecting, but they were perfect for their location. They had every luxury that we could have asked for, from the amazing down comforter to the refreshing cedar scented toiletries. We felt as though we had a cozy little home away from home.

The setting was breathtaking. I have been living in a metrolpolitan area for so long, I had forgotten what it was like to look up at the sky at night, and see a sky full of twinkling stars. The air was so clean, and everything was so QUIET. Some of my favorite times over the weekend were the walks from the cabin to the lodge and back again. We also hiked on Saturday, and the trails were very well marked and thoroughly enjoyable.

The restaurant ....... I am not even sure where to begin. We ate three meals at the restaurant, and every single one of them was phenomonal. The food was excellent, and the service was impeccable.

Every single staff member that we encountered over the course of the weekend was helpful and friendly. We always felt very welcome.

We enjoyed this place so much that we plan to make it an annual trip ..... our one weekend every year to get away from the real world, enjoy a simpler life, and reconnect with each other.

• Stayed: March 2006
4  Thank derijr
There are newer reviews for Savage River Lodge

Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed February 18, 2006

The Savage River Lodge, has to be my worst lodging experience in my life. Wow. I usually like out of the way woodsy, mountain retreats, as I am an avid skier in the Rockies, The Pacific Northwest, and New England. I traditionally love lodges, country inns, out of the way type places that are unique, independently ran, and operated. But what we encountered at The Savage River Lodge, was horrible.

For starters, during the reservation process, we inquired about pets. This place is so pet friendly, on and on and on. Now, my wife, is allergic to pet dander. It is not a severe allergy, she can be around dogs, not so much cats, but she can be around dogs, even pet them, or let them come in her lap, provided she washes her hands afterwards, she, is usually fine. Now, we told them this when making the reservation, they advised me they have a Lodge dog, and I assured them this would not be a problem, however, the room had to be one that had never had pets in it. We were told, the lodge had cabins that either have never had a dog in them, or get DEEP cleaned between visits. I said either would be fine. Wrong. 2 hours into our night, my wife was wheezing, sneezing, and coughing. We took the lint roller out of our atache case, and rolled it over the blankets, and carpet in our loft bedroom, and it took ALL FIFTY SHEETS of the lint roller to get the dog hair off the comforter, and carpet. Now, I was not being a neat freak, just trying to get the carpet around the bed, the sheets, and comforter, dog hair free. The sheets were fine. The carpet, took about 20 sheets, the comforter took all of the last 30. And they were all COVERED IN HAIR. Not one or two hairs a sheet, COVERED. Terrible. Strike one.

The next morning at breakfast, a Saturday, I had hoped to have some traditional country inn fare for breakfast, maybe some type of apple cinnamon oatmeal, or a waffle, or even some type of thick french toast. Nope. None of that. Only the traditional eggs, bacon, omelettes, stuff like that. We said we would try the quiche, and something simple, 2 eggs over easy. No. Not simple. The quiche, was still runny in the middle, and the over easy eggs, were brown, almost over hard, the potatoes, were saltier then the Pacific Ocean, and the bacon was so sweet, our server, Jenny, told us it was because they cure the bacon with maple syrup. This should be a neat treat, however, it tasted like it was cooked in pancake syrup. Yuk.

We decided to spend our afternoon resting off the Lisa from Green Acres style breakfast, only to find that if you want to go to the lodge library they say they have, you have to hunt it down. Upstairs, no problem, but why not tell someone where it is? Then, the gift shop, wow. The only thing they know how to do at this lodge is slap the face of their dog, and his name on stuff, and sell it as lodge merchandise. Plenty of other shirts and hats with the lodge logo, but the dog stuff got me. We decided to try a Bodhi paw, a rather primitive dessert, caramel, chocolate, cashews, it looked nice, but was as hard as cement. I swear, I thought I would lose a filling. But, I did not. I asked at the front desk could I have it removed from my bill. The person at the desk, Tina, said with laughter "well, normally everyone likes them", which, mind you, I kept it to myself at breakfast, I said, well, I did not, so, is a refund, of a few bucks, a problem? Evidently, it was, because she snickered again, talking to another employee all the while, before getting back to us. The answer was yes, I could be refunded on it.

I had then asked her could we see the dinner menu, since we were coming in for dinner. Now, this is where I was ready to boil. I had asked, over the phone, when we made our reservations, in June, what do you have for vegetarians. I was told, that the Savage River Lodge had a vegetarian menu that their chef had written, and had SEVERAL items for vegetarians on it nightly. But now, the menu only has ONE item for vegetarians, no soup choices, no appetizer choices, only one entree. I asked at the front desk about this, same person, Tina, told me that we no longer did that, "that chef was let go this past summer", and again, her trademark laugh. I asked does the new chef not cater to vegetarians? She instucted me to tell our server about our "dillema" as she put it, I thought that word was rude, but, at any rate, the chef might be able to help me, but it was the holiday season, so, perhaps not, it really depends on the business. So, I again said, that in June, when we called, we were told you had a vegetarian menu, with soups, appetizers, salads, entrees, the young lady on the phone who took our reservation, told us that it even had sushi. My wife was WAY dissapointed on this one.

When we did get in for dinner, it was 8. Right on time. Quaint little dining room too. When seated, we got our server from breakfast again. She is a real treat, the one good thing abou this place. We told her that one of us was vegetarians, and to talk to the chef about it, after she did, she said the chef is sorry, but all he can do is the item on the menu, but she said to tell me it was a holdover from the summer vegetarian menu, and was excellent. She was psuedo right, it was ok, nothing to get too excited over though. My duck breast was burnt, and overcooked, and the creme brulee for dessert, was terrible.

The muffins and juice on your doorstep are nice, I really did like that. The mud tracked all over our front porch, by whomever delivered them, was questionable.

We chose to go and eat in neighboring Frostburg for our Sunday evening dinner, if I can make a suggestion, make the drive. Only 15 minutes, however, the dinner we got, a French place in Frostburg, is amazing, and worth the money. In fact, cheaper then the lodge, and better quality.

We maintained not complaining about anything except the candy, until the Monday checkout. We were told by the front desk person, much nicer, Melissa, that if we wished to speak to the owners, they were in the back, and they would be willing to help. We then met a Jan, who, was as nice as, well, my mother always said, if you have nothing nice to say, do not say it. We told her about our issues with dinner, she said that she was sorry, however, we could no longer do the vegetarian menu, I had mentioned the phone call in June, she again told me that it was MY fault, we should have asked for a notation to be made. Umm, ok. We also spoke about the dog hair, and she said that again, this was OUR fault, because the lodge allows pets, so, we should have expected this.

If you go to Frostburg, there are bed and breakfasts, Quality Inn, Super 8, better food, and better service. Do not waste your time on this place.

• Stayed: December 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Washington, DC
Reviewed October 2, 2005

I took my husband and hound for a long weekend to Savage River Lodge and it is still relaxing just to think about it. From the main lodge, each private cabin is an easy walk through a fresh pine forest. The exposed wooden beams and simple furnishings make the cabin feel like a cozy nest in the woods. Cedar-scented soaps and lotions also bring the outdoors inside.

Each morning, a basket arrives on the cabin's porch. I don't know which was the best part: the daily paper, the muffins for a satisfying breakfast, or the home-baked dog biscuit.

Another review on this site made me wary of pet hair, so we brought a couple of sheets from home to put on the couch and easy chair. That way, we didn't worry if the dog jumped up for a quick snuggle (the cabins do have a policy against pets on the furniture). That said, I think this is great place for folks with dogs. Most of trails allow off-the-leash hiking for well-behaved dogs. Our hound thought this was a great treat.

We will defintitely return!

• Stayed: September 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 28, 2005

We recently returned from a weekend at Savage River Lodge, our third visit. The cabins are great; we wouldn't change a thing about them. They have plenty of space yet are very cozy. The location is excellent. Although you are in the middle of the woods with miles of fine hiking trails, civilization is a relatively short drive away. And if you tire of the trails adjacent to the Lodge, there are many more not far from the property. The Lodge itself is nicely done and a pleasant place for a meal or to hang out.

The food gets mixed marks from us. The muffin, orange juice and Washington Post delivered to your cabin in the morning is a nice touch. Brunch has always been good, if a but pricey. We enjoyed dinner on our prior visits, but on this visit dinner didn't work out well. The menu choices did not appeal to us and items we ordered did not turn out well. Perhaps our palates are not educated enough to appreciate the sophisticated offerings.

The staff has always been pleasant and helpful on those rare occasions when we wanted thier attention

All in all, we find Savage River Lodge to be a very relaxing place to spend a long weekend and we will be back soon.

• Stayed: June 2005
2  Thank MobilePan
Maryland
Reviewed June 5, 2005

Overall, we enjoyed our stay but the Lodge does have some areas upon which it could improve.

Each cabin is stand-alone, thereby providing privacy, and has its own porch and two rocking chairs. The morning muffins, fresh squeezed juice and newspaper were wonderful. The cedar-scented toiletries were a nice touch, although conditioner and bubble bath would be appreciated. The cabin was very spacious and was nicely furnished. However, it needed a repainting (preferably in a color other than institutional beige) and much more light. The mattress was uncomfortable and needed to be replaced (a huge middle indentation caused it to feel like a hammock). At one point the cabin smelled really terrible - we were told that it was the damp air, and the front desk gave us Lysol which helped. The cabin was overall very peaceful.

The hiking trains were great although we kept seeing "Caution!" signs with no explanation of what we should be aware. More information about the difficulty of the hikes should be provided; the outer loop trail has some very difficult elevations. Hiking was really the highlight of our stay and the trails do offer a range of different environments, from forest floor to woodland glen.

The restaurant was fine - the food was well-prepared and delicious although a bit overly complicated. We were surprised by how "heavy" the menu was - lots of sauces, red meat, etc. and the dessert menu was almost exclusively chocolate... much more suited to winter/fall rather than spring/summer, in my opinion. That said, the coffee-rubbed sirloin is amazing and highly recommended. We found the service a bit amateurish one night and quite polished on the next.

All staff members were friendly and helpful; the lodge itself was very inviting with the crackling fire and the friendly (and quite plump) dog, Bodhi.

Overall, a relaxing place that just needs a bit of tweaking/polishing and a bit more attention to the cabins.

• Stayed: June 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Knoxville, TN
Reviewed May 10, 2005

In a word - awful. Stay at the Travelodge and be happier.

• Stayed: April 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 22, 2005

I do not recommend Savage River Lodge for anyone traveling with a pet and, frankly, I do not recommend Savage River Lodge or its restaurant at all. The Savage River Lodge bills itself as pet friendly. Simply, Savage River Lodge is not pet friendly, and it's over priced relative to what you get. My fiancée and I have traveled extensively to a number of pet friendly bed & breakfasts, inns, lodges, hotels, motels, and other establishments up and down the east coast so we have a very wide experience with a variety of pet friendly establishments, and we know what to expect. Having read about Savage River Lodge in a local magazine, we decided to try it out for the night of April 16th. I booked a room about 3 days in advance. I was told that the room was $210.00 per night plus a $25 dollar per night per pet fee, plus applicable taxes. For us, that amounted to $75 per night in pet fees since we have 3 dogs. We arrived at the Lodge at approximately 2:15 pm and were told, rudely, by the owner who was working the front desk to "give her about 15 minutes." We said we would be waiting in the main lodge and to let us know when she was ready. Out of deference to the Lodge's policies (dogs are not allowed in the main lodge), we kept our 3 dogs in the car. 15 minutes came and went and no one bothered to let us know our room was ready despite the fact they stared directly at us several times. Meanwhile, we were trying to keep our dogs calm and from getting over heated in the car while we waited. After about 30-40 minutes had passed, we finally went back to check and were told our room was ready. (I have no idea why no one bothered to come get us before that). We were shown to our room (a cabin) by a nice young lady. After spending about 10 minutes in the room, we set out for a long hike. We arrived back at the cabin at about 6:00 pm. We spent from about 6:00 pm to 7:00 relaxing on the porch outside the cabin (again with our three dogs also outside). We even wiped their paws prior to entering the cabin. We had an 8:00 pm dinner reservation at the lodge's restaurant. The food was ok, but took forever to arrive. Our server was quite nice and apologetic about the slow kitchen. The restaurant was moderately full, but not excessively so. After dinner we returned to our cabin and went to bed.

We checked out the next day by noon after having breakfast at the Savage River Lodge's restaurant. Breakfast was awful. It took over an hour and 15 minutes for us to receive our meals--a steak sandwich and two eggs. The appetizer (Appalachian pretzel) was inedible with at least two major preparation steps missing. Our waitress, a very nice woman, took that off of our tab and apologized indicating that the chef was getting married and that they had "two guys in the back cooking who didn't know what they were doing."

Imagine my surprise when a week after leaving the lodge I was sent a form letter notifying me that our pets left fur on the furniture and that the Lodge was assessing an additional $50.00 pet cleaning fee which they charged to my credit card. This after we had already paid 25 dollars per pet per night and the dogs had been in the cabin for approximately 15 hours from start to finish. Here's a reality check: Dogs have fur. Fur can get on the furniture even without the dogs being up on the furniture. If you allow dogs, expect fur. What exactly is the $25 dollars per pet per night for? Yes, we were warned that if extra cleaning was necessary a fee might be assessed but exactly how did the Lodge determine that extra cleaning was necessary? The dogs were only in the room for about 15 hours all told. In this case, I believe that they must charge this fee to everyone who arrives with a dog. Moreover, I just *loved* the fact that they pick and choose which portions of their pet policy they will enforce (i.e., we never once saw a lodge employee reprimand or even advise the family in the cabin directly next to us that their dog was supposed to be leashed while near the cabins and that they were supposed to clean up after their dog--neither of these rules were abided by that particular dog owner and the Lodge staff viewed repeated infractions of the policy on a number of occasions). Of course, this would not have resulted in a fee being assessed so why bother enforcing this particular policy. At $200 plus a night plus a very steep $25 dollars per pet per night fee ($75 per night for us), I expect much more than this place offers. All told, this place is over priced and while it attempts to bill itself as pet friendly, it's not. There are plenty of other truly pet friendly places to experience; we will not waste our time re-visiting Savage River Lodge.

• Stayed: April 2005
20  Thank Cbenson21210
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frostburg
Gunter Hotel
#1 of 2 in McHenry
Suites at Silver Tree
Suites at Silver Tree
#1 of 3 in Oakland

Been to Savage River Lodge? Share your experiences!