Savage River Lodge
BestWestern.com
$53
$80
Priceline
All reviewssavage riverhiking trailsjuicemeatloafget awayeach morningpicnic basketgas fireplaceheated floorsfly fishingwheel drivestate forestgift shopdog biscuitsrelaxing weekendpeace and quietcross country skiing
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 6, 2013

A very nice mountain retreat. The most pet friendly place that we have stayed. The cabins are right off many hiking trails. The lodge is beautiful and we enjoyed the fireplace and bar. The staff was very accomodating. Even though it was mud season, they provided towels and sheets just for the dogs. Definitely off the beaten path, but the view of the stars make it so worthwhile. The bed was heavenly.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pghgiirl
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My son and I booked a trip at the last minute and despite the adverse weather the lodge and staff were great. It was a bit of a challenge to access the lodge over a muddy dirt road but we have four wheel drive and despite this, it was worth a bit of adventure and the difficult access provides a great sense of isolation. The restaurant was excellent (we had dinner three times)--food and staff were excellent. The hotel staff was also great and very helpful. The cabins are clean and well appointed great for two people. However the bathrooms are on the first level--get used to going up and down the steps. In the winter expect snow, mud, etc however the remoteness and serenity of the location are appealing.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jerome R
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Don't go in mudseason. Think it would be lovely, once you get up on mountain, in the snow for snowshoeing or cross-country skiing. or in summer for hiking. We were at end of snow season, but roads still icy. We all slipped and I fell coming down from cabins to lodge. The lodge was too smokey for comfort. Owners held a "meet and greet," which was interesting. Liked the eco-consciousness: little plastic, solar panels, etc.
Food in restaurant was excellent. My husband loved the meat and game, and I appreciated the vegetarian. Service was good except slow when pretty busy Sat. night.
Cabins are roomy for a couple, nicely outfitted, and muffins and juice delivered to door in morning was an invitation to be lazy. In-cabin coffee was also good, with the thoughtful touch of creamer in frig.Consider that bathroom is downstairs from bedroom in loft.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank ikinp
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My wife enjoyed every aspect of our trip. Most noticeable was the attention to detail. A great example is that we let them know that my wife has Celiac. Just before a wine and cheese social, while sitting enjoying our books, the restaurant manager let us know there would be GF crackers at the event. We found every detail was taken care of, with the greatest of care.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We went with another couple but we booked separate cottages. They are ideally suited for a couple or family but not really for two couples to share. I was ill so I really couldn't enjoy the outdoors, and it was quite cold out too. I could see coming back during the late spring or summer when it is 15-20 degrees cooler than Washington D.C. I did enjoy the lodge and meeting the owners and other visitors during the "Meet and Greet." The other three loved the food but I really only craved chicken soup. The cabins were fine and it was especially great not to have a t.v. blaring! Great place to kick back, hike, read, and talk to people.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends