“Perfect for those traveling by bicycle”
Review of Charlie's Motel

Charlie's Motel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Frostburg
Chicago
“Perfect for those traveling by bicycle”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

If you're taking a trip along the Great Allegheny Passage this is an idea motel to stay at. It very close to the trail itself. Get off the trail and it's right along Highway 40, where there's several place to eat - both breakfast and dinner. A short distance into the downtown area where is a bicycle shop as well.

Entrance is along an indoor porchway, so you can bring you bicycle under cover and either leave it inside or outside your room.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Robert K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Pasadena, Maryland
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I needed two rooms for the night so I could drop my son off at his dorm at the local college the next day. I just wanted a cheap place to sleep comfortably, nothing more. Charlie's ended up being a good choice. It was perfectly acceptable to me, although I'm sure the wife and kids were a little shocked at first glance since we always stay in 3-star+ hotels when vacationing. Charlie's is very plain and basic, on the older side. However, it is very clean, has cold a/c, and quiet. Rooms are small, beds are comfortable, cable TV worked great, free in-room internet, hot shower with great water pressure (better than home), refridgerator and microwave, 75 cent soda machines on-site, quaint drive-in ice cream/food place across the street. We all ended up agreeing that Charlies perfectly acceptable. No complaints. I'll stay there again for sure when I visit my son at college. WARNING: DO NOT EXPECT LUXURY! DO NOT EXPECT FRESH PAINT AND NEW FURNISHINGS!. However, nothing at Charlies is disgusting, whatsoever. Simply a clean, basic, cheap place to watch some TV, sleep soundly, and get a good shower in the morning. If you get a chance, strike up a conversation with the owner. He is NOT named Charlie. He IS a character.

Room Tip: My guess is that there isn't much difference between the various rooms at Charlies, except that...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank somerssalt
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I live in Frostburg and every time Frostburg has a big drinking event or pub crawl (which is often) I make the Hurry Back Tavern my last stop and rent a room at Charlie's. Yes the rooms are pretty basic but honestly what are you expecting from a hotel in Frostburg, MD? Beachfront massages? It's a great locale. Right next to the best local bar in Frostburg with the best bartender in Frostburg (Brenda) and nearby Sand Springs Saloon which has a mean bartender but great food. In the summer the Tastee Freeze is open and right across the street. There's a ballpark and playground right up the road also. The best part is coming in to meet the locals who are a hoot. I should know, I am one.

Anyways, I heart Charlie's Motel big time. It's a totally different experience from staying at a chain but it's worth it. The rooms are ok, cheap, and very close to the best bar in Frostburg. What else could you want?

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank gomerk
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I needed to save money on this trip. Charlie's was the place to do it. However, it's old and run down and could use a BIG face lift, inside and out. The bar is right next door, so that's a convenience to mellow with a few cocktails and just walk to your hotel room if cocktails are you thing. No DWI in your future. But I wouldn't stay there again. I'll upgrade next time. I'm planning on returning next fall again on a driving road trip I am planning. Sorry, Charlie. But you need to clean it up a bit. And maybe get towels that match and are thicker than a bandaid. I'm usually not a snob when it comes to hotels. I mean, I'm hardly in the room long enough to have it bother me. But this room was just dirty and lacked any...ANY ambiance whatsoever.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Larry U
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Yes, the decor is dated and yes, the sleep switch didn't work on the remote control. The bed was comfy and the room was immaculate. I mean spotless. The towels didn't match but they were clean and plush! I would give it an average at this point but the service was beyond friendly and the rooms quiet. When you stay at Charlie's and do so, drop into the bar. I met everybody in town! We were given the complete skinny on where to eat and what to do in our weekend in Frostburg. Would I stay there again? Absolutely.

Room Tip: Be presentable when you show up and they will give you a nicer room. Heard that from the bartender...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank patrickDFW
Also consider these accommodations in or near Frostburg
Gunter Hotel
#1 of 6 in Frostburg
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#1 of 5 in LaVale

Been to Charlie's Motel? Share your experiences!