“One nights stay battleaxes, wraxall”
Review of The Battleaxes

The Battleaxes
Ranked #1 of 1 Wraxall B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Came here because of the reviews. A little disappointed. The rooms are comfortable although a little what I call igglety pigglety we had two blocks of wood as bedside tables. The view was nice from our room in room three. We decided to stop here because we wanted to eat and have few drinks to relax after a week of work. The food I thought was ok at best. For a pub in the middle of the country the vegetables on offer with our meal was some spring greens. Also the salads were green nothing else. The steak my wife had was dissapointing with a mug of chips, 8 ounce steak and small pile of off green leaves all this for 16£ I had the rabbit pie which was better but I felt as though it had been done in a micro wave not crisp and flaky. Sorry but it felt as though the supplies had run out on a Friday, unacceptable. Also run out of beef burgers, pavlova and of course salads. The staff were all nice and pleasant just need to up their game on the food.

Room Tip: Book a room at the back off the road. Soft pillow in the wardrobe as we found out in the morning.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
GBFC1, Managing Director at The Battleaxes, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Dear Cralphie.

I am sorry to read that you were disappointed with the rooms and food on your visit to The Battleaxes, especially after making your decision to visit us based on reading all of our good reviews on Tripadvisor. We do take all feedback seriously and if there is something we improve on, we do so as soon as we are made aware of it. We will be reviewing our menu and food preparation to ensure that items are not sold out and that we offer good value for money to all of our guests. If possible, I would like to speak with you directly , if you might have time could you provide me with a suitable email address - please email me on ben@flatcappers.co.uk.

Thanks once again, and I do hope to hear from you soon.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed April 9, 2014

Enjoyed a good lunch with excellent food, well presented by helpful staff. Access was not easy for my disabled mother as there is quite a high step up to the entrance. However, leaving was worse. She needed the toilet which is down about 4 deep steps and up another step. She eventually made it but at great pain and risk to herself and me as I was trying to help her. I am shocked that in this day and age a restaurant can put essential facilities out of reasonable reach of very elderly customers. There was no other toilet available. Won't risk life and limb going back.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Hi there Sheila G,

If I may i'd like to thank you for taking the time to review The Battleaxes on Tripadvisor. We take all feedback very seriously and act where we can to improve what we do on a day-to-day basis to ensure that our guests experience is the best it can possibly be. On your last visit, I would like to apologise that the layout of our building made it difficult for your Mother to navigate around the building. Since your review we have re-trained our staff to spot and assist elderly and indeed any less mobile guests to wherever they may need to get to. We have also made it apparent to guests that book with us that disabled ramps are available to get up and down stairways.

I do hope that we do see you and your family again and thank you once again for reviewing us.

Kind regards,

Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

Spent an evening here with my wife, greeted straight away and shown to our very well appointed and comfortable room, exceptional bathroom in room 5! Due to it's great reputation we decided to stay for food and drinks and we weren't dissapointed, very enjoyable experience all round with great food and service, really couldn't find fault. Despite facing the road the room was nice and quiet and headed off refreshed the following morning after a lovely breakfast.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to review The Battleaxes on Tripadvisor, we are so pleased you had a super time and we very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 12, 2014

My partner and I found this little Gem whilst out on a drive on Sunday. We were seated within 10 minutes of arriving. The atmosphere in the pub was lovely. We started chatting to the family sat next to us and they were obviously regulars as they told us to come in the week also.

We were seated in the window and asked if the table was suitable for us. Our order was taken and we had the Beef. I asked how the Beef was cooked and they asked me how I would like it cooked. My partner ordered his Medium and I have mine Well done.

The food arrived within 10 minutes of ordering and OMG not only did it look amazing there was plenty of it. Two bowls of various fresh vegetables also came out. Two homemade Yorkshire Puddings, lots of roast potatoes, 2 generous slices of Beef also. mmmmmm

We cannot recommend this place highly enough and plan on using this as a regular Sunday haunt.

The staff are so friendly and cannot do enough for you.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
GBFC1, General Manager at The Battleaxes, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

We are delighted you enjoyed your Sunday Roast with us recently. Your compliments are much appreciated and have been passed on to the staff and kitchen, thank you. We hope you will find the time to return in the near future.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon

Warm regards

Karen

Reviewed February 16, 2014

A lovely place to stay, room was decorated amazingly, shower was fabulous. We stayed in room 6 towards the front of the building. Loved the style of the room too. Staff were very accommodating and friendly and went out of their way to make us feel welcome. Also ate here both dinner and included breakfast and both were lovely.
Staff even went out of there way to accommodate late night cheese toastie provision!
Would highly recommend. Great for just a drink in nice surroundings too.

Room Tip: Any are great, but rooms 1-5 seem to be at the back of the building. Room 6 is towards the front nea...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2014

...... When it is part of an experience.

Like many of the other reviews we "fell across" this wonderful B and B whilst searching for somewhere to stay whilst attending a function in Portishead.

It is one of those places that defines the term shabby chic as it appears to have been thrown together but closer examination reveals that a lot of thought has gone into it.

You can have the best hotel in the world but you have to have the right staff and they certainly do here.All young attentive and welcoming. The manager did not take a credit card imprint on arrival stating that he trusted me. Even if this was salesmanship,which I don't think it was, it was fantastic.

Loved the room very quiet with good solid furniture and squared off logs for bed side cabinets, iPod docking station and full tea making facilities.

We did not have an evening meal here but did have a couple of starters on arrival served in paper funnels on wooden trays they were top quality.

Not sure if we will have the need to return to this part of the world but If we do we will stay here and so should you.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Janbob1
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed overnight on New Years Day. We had the wonderful Tyntesfield Room (Room 5). A massive double bed with lovely decor and tea tray including cafetiere and with huge ensuite bathroom with double shower, freestanding bath, his and hers hand basins and toilet. The kitchen closed at 5pm due to it being New Years Day so we had an early dinner. Wonderful food including guinea fowl stuffed with black pudding on a bed of curly kale with roast potatoes and a delicious vegetarian option, lovely ambience and a very warm welcome. Breakfast was also great. Staff were very attentive without over doing it. Just what we needed! Thank you one and all.

Room Tip: Tyntesfield Room (No. 5) at the front but I don't recall hearing traffic noise.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wraxall
Travelodge Portishead
Bristol Marriott Royal Hotel
Hotel du Vin & Bistro
Hotel du Vin & Bistro
#5 of 39 in Bristol

Been to The Battleaxes? Share your experiences!