The Battleaxes
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Days Inn Bristol M5(Easton-in-Gordano)
$71
$59
Premier Inn Portishead Hotel(Portishead)(Great Value!)
$65
Winford Manor(Winford)
$105
TripAdvisor
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsthe pubnational trust propertystand alone bathwalk in showersunday lunchnorth somersethuge bathroomgreat showerbristol airportnext morningcomfortable bedroad noisestayed for one nightfantastic breakfastvisit tyntesfielda great place to staylovely room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Stayed one night in the room with a bath and echo all that previous reviewers had said. Great room, loved the wood block bedside tables and general ambiance.

The bathroom was large with a good sized double ended bath in the middle of the room.

There was slight road noise, but not enough to worry about.

Only room niggle was no fridge for milk in the morning for tea but then this place is half the price of many Bristol hotels.

Meal in the dining room was great at dinner.

Breakfast felt a little more challenging as no automatic offering of fruit juices, which we included in the room rate - just had to ask., Good strong coffee and an excellent full English.

Room Tip: All the doors were open, so I wandered in as was there earlier. They are all as per the web site descriptions - honest writing. The ones at the back have a slight edge, but all are spacious, not noisy and very well fitted out.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank OccassionalTravels
Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

Made a last minute booking before an early flight from bristol and were really pleased to have found it.

Lovely rooms, good food and service.

They offer a parking service for airport too which might help some.

Only criticism is that it's quite pricey and the heating was still on in June along with the winter-weight duvet. Made for a hot night but at least there was a good shower for the morning!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The website did a great job of illustrating the rooms, and I found ours (number 3 "Wraxall") was even lovelier in reality, looking over the carpark to the fields at the back. There were some really lovely touches -- the old wooden wardrobe complementing the leather chair; the wood blocks that served as bedside tables, and unlike any other hotel room I've been in there were plenty of power plugs -- no need to hunt around disconnecting lamps behind furniture to charge your phone.

Just as great though was the downstairs. We ate in both evenings for the 2 nights we stayed because the food was so good the first night. The dining room has a lovely relaxed atmosphere, especially if you can get near the window, but my favourite spot was in the armchairs in the bay window on the far side complete with old books to browse. The food was reasonably priced for what you got and the staff were friendly. Overall, highly recommended as a quiet country base near Bristol or especially if you're looking to visit the National Trust's "Tyntesfield" as we were... it's only a few minutes drive, or you can even walk there over the fields if you aren't afraid of a short steep climb.

Room Tip: Rooms that look out over the back would be quieter. I especially loved Room 3 (Wraxall), the one with the green wallpaper
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for 1 night in the Guano room (No 4).
The super king size bed was so comfy with the feather duvet. I slept so well, it was brilliant. The bathroom/ shower was v modern.
The actual pub is very chic and the staff were really friendly and very helpful. My partner and I like real ale and the bar woman gave us good advice on the ales on offer and allowed us to sip before we supp'd (as they say).
Also, the breakfast was lovely. My partner had the full English and he said it was quality food. I had poached eggs with bacon and they were 2 of the most perfect poached eggs I've ever had. I also had a really lovely coffee too.
I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We needed to stay somewhere close to Tyntesfield (National Trust) and to be at the North Somerset Showground for the Bank Holiday Monday. This large pub in Wraxall seemed ideally suited, based on the location and some reviews.

We arrived on the Sunday afternoon, after lunch service, to check into our room. Their website had given us a good idea of what the room would be like, and having spoken to staff on the phone to make the booking, we anticipated a friendly welcome. And we got a friendly welcome. The staff were very friendly and helpful all weekend, yet not intrusive or over-friendly. We were very impressed with the staff.

Our room (Number 3 "Wraxall") was at the back of the building, which I think is good, because although the main road at the front is not hugely busy, it is immediately next to the building. Our room overlooked some houses then the fields at the back, and the view over the fields was beautiful. Looking straight down you can see the pub carpark, but that just meant we knew our car was fine! The bed was a super king size, very comfortable, and the decor was tasteful and in keeping with the historic feel of the building. You even get a cafetiere and some ground coffee so you can make a pot of decent coffee. The en suite shower was modern and really nice to use.

The bar has a number of different beers, including 3 local bitters, and it is a comfortable place to sit before dinner.

Dinner was very enjoyable. Nothing unduly sophisticated, but really good country food. 4 of us shared a meat platter, which is said to be enough for 2 as a starter or 1 as a main, but we found there was enough meat on there (and it was decent meat: rare cold beef, cold shoulder of pork, warm sausages in sweet mustard sauce, crackling, picalilli and salad, with a little bread) for all of us to nibble as a starter. I then had some really good home-cooked fish and chips, and my wife and one of our friends had cod with caper sauce, on mashed potato. Our other friend had a chili con carne. All the food was good, and we can be quite fussy about decent food! An interesting and varied wine list gave us plenty to choose from. The only error in the whole experience was the bottle of white wine we were brought was not the one we had ordered, and because it was presented in a steel wine cooler we didn't notice until we had all had some. No big problem: we liked it anyway!
The restaurant was full, which the waitress said was unusual for a Sunday night, but it was a bank holiday weekend.

We enjoyed a comfortable and peaceful night's sleep.
In the morning we made a cafetiere of fresh coffee when we woke (I have to repeat what a great idea I think this is!) then went down for a magnificent cooked breakfast, the price of which is included in the room rate. I do like a cooked breakfast when I stay somewhere, and the quality of this one matches the best. My tea in a pot was made with leaves not bags, and was very good indeed. There are newspapers to read if you want to.

We really enjoyed our stay in every respect, and would certainly come here again.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a room at the back, away from the road. Certainly that way you get a view. Rooms 1, 2 and 3 are on that side. There are 6 rooms in all. We didn't stay on the road side of the pub, so can't actually say that the noise would keep you awake.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends