“Hopefull reservation leads to pleasant surprise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Inn

Sunset Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Friendsville
Sunset Inn
You added Sunset Inn to your Saves list
818 1st Ave., Friendsville, MD 21531   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Friendsville B&B and Inns
Glen Burnie, Maryland
“Hopefull reservation leads to pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Honestly, I was a little worried when I drove up the the place. The house (it's a mom & pop) on the property looks a bit run down and the coffee shop is closed and looks a little worse for wear. I had a room on the 2nd floor over looking the pool. Good bed, clean sheets, a window you can really open, new carpet and furniture. Never expected the Sunset Inn to have any WiFi much less decent speed. The Sunset Inn is one of the best small town motels I've stayed in with the bonus of being quiet at night.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Greeley, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Really you have to discard your first impression. And, if we are honest, your second. I opened the door to my room and feared I had selected the wrong option in Friendsville -- but in my experience after a few days, I think I would stay again.

My room was a king room on the second floor facing the pool. The room is comparable in size to most similar type accommodations, with a small bathroom that includes the usual fixtures. Opening the door however set me back as I beheld an old room with fixtures clearly aging, furniture which had already aged somewhat.

For all that, my room was clean, the cost is quite low for this location, and the couple who owns and runs the place was quite nice, helping us with directions to local food, locations, gas, and other amenities.

On that note, it is important to have the right expectations when you patronize a location of this type. Amenities? The sunset inn has none. No room service, the coffee shop is long closed, if it isn't in your room when you get there, the only new thing they can really bring you is a pillow or a crib.

Yet as I noted at the start, if you can suspend the skepticism when you open the door and note the dismal, aging room contents, the fact is my room was clean and my wife, daughter, and I all got a full night's sleep as the nearby highway noise was not overly obnoxious and the beds were fairly comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs room facing the pool, the traffic noise from I-68 is still present but lower.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Sunset Inn is a great motel to stay in if you are visiting Friendsville or the Deep Creek area. The couple that owns the Motel take pride in maintaining their property. The rooms are very spacious and extremely clean. I've never seen a bathtub sparkle like that ever in a hotel. The towels were plush and fluffy. Great place to stay if you don't want to pay Deep Creek motel/hotel prices. They also have an outdoor pool.

• Stayed July 2011
Huntersville, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

We have stayed here for the past 7 years on the second weekends in September with extended family for a local family reunion. The rooms are always clean, and the owners seem nice enough, but we cannot figure out why they do not fix up the place. It has a lot of potential! The things we have noticed that have not changed in the 7 years we have been going there are; the coffee shop in the front of the parking lot has never been opened. For years the management would tell us it was going to open up soon, however, it had not yet opened as of last year. One of the rooms on the second floor has a small kitchen sink that, when you open the doors beneath it, has a pipe that is not connected, it is just hanging there. Good thing the water is not turned on.... Several of the rooms have moulding that has not yet been completed, and some of the rooms we know of have bathroom doors that cannot close all the way because of poor design. It is a fairly clean place, and not a bad value, but could be so much better if the owners would fix it up more. The first couple of years we stayed, the pool was open. For the last 3 years at least, they have had it closed. We are looking for a different place to stay this year, but would consider coming back if the ownership changes.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank lovetotraveleurope
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

This hotel was so great we stayed another night. The "Mom & Pop" feel is only surpassed by the fact that it's actually owned by a Mom & Pop. They told us their life story, the history of the hotel, and it was an overall GREAT stay for the price!! Next time we go skiing, we're staying again!!!

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Comedianjraz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Friendsville
Microtel Inn and Suites by Wyndham Hazelton/Bruceton Mills
Inn At Deep Creek
Inn At Deep Creek
#1 of 3 in Oakland
4.0 of 5 stars 242 reviews

Been to Sunset Inn? Share your experiences!