“Beautiful setting and relaxing”

Rocky Gap Casino Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Flintstone
culpeper
“Beautiful setting and relaxing”
Reviewed August 4, 2010

the setting is beautiful and the grounds around the lake are very well kept, which makes it very enjoyable to sit on the many lounge chairs around the lake. there are many activities for families. We really enjoyed kayaking on the lake and our son-in-law enjoyed the golf course. The company that runs all the outdoor activities does a great job and their staff is soooo friendly. We also enjoyed going into Cumberland, Md at night to find new places to eat. The C&O canal bike trail begins in Cumberland and we enjoyed taking our bikes into town for a very pleasant ride. The front desk staff is helpful, but could be more friendly. Overall we recommend the resort for a relaxing getaway.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank richardrobin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed August 3, 2010

Having read many of the reviews covering the ups and downs of the Rocky Gap Lodge, we neutralized our expectations and developed an opinion based upon our own experiences during our 3 night stay. A group of 5, we had 3 side-by-side rooms on the 6th floor overlooking the parking lot.

The absolute highlight of our visit was the beauty and serenity of the surrounding lake and mountains. After an extremely busy month, we needed a restful and relaxing spot. Rocky Gap Lodge is exactly that. The daily cares slipped away while reading beside the lake in lounge chairs provided by the hotel. They slipped further away in the hottub and pool. And even further away around the evening campfire while toasting marshmallows provided by the hotel. If you want smores, bring your own graham crackers and chocolate bars or purchase kits at the hotel.

Our room was large, comfortable and clean with a feature that is rare. There is a sink and mirror outside the bathroom, with a full sink and large mirror, toilet and bath/shower inside the bathroom. I could dry my hair while my husband was showering.

The poolside restaurant was great for drinks, lunch and snacks and was staffed by easygoing friendly people. The dining room featured a different buffet theme every evening duing our 3 night stay. The prime rib ($28) was our favorite. Buffet items were refreshed frequently, avoiding, in our opinion, the over-cooked steam table quality of many buffets. The menu items are expensive and we stuck primarily to the buffets. One of our group of 5 wanted to try the venison dish but found it unavailable over the weekend. There were fresh omelete and waffle stations for breakfast. The waffles, with fresh strawberries melted in your mouth.

Service was, for the most part, friendly and professional. The young bartender in the dining room lounge made an A+ cosmo. Service in the main dining room had 2 trouble stops. At breakfast one morning our table had not been assigned to a server. The maitre d took care of us initially but the staff he recruited did not really take "ownership" of our table. On an evening the server let buffet dishes pile up on the table and did not refresh water glasses regularly. The front desk staff were efficient though not welcoming or friendly. All in all I would not hold these minor lapses against the hotel.

We rented "peddle" boats one day and went around the lake. There is a dam at one end where the water is 80+ feet deep and where the best trout fishing is, according to staff. There are also a couple of coves to explore.

We would love to go back in the fall when the foliage is bright and colorful. I can't imagine a lovlier place to experience that special time of year.

1 Thank HappyTraveler347
Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed July 29, 2010

We were looking to getaway from the DC heat and decided to go to Rocky Gap Resort after finding it on the internet. We had a wonderful time! The Lake is beautiful and upon first sight we immediately felt some of the work day pressures slide away. On Saturday we enjoyed kayacking, swimming in the pool, making tie dye shirts and glow in the dark putt putt. Everywhere we looked guests really seemed to be enjoying the resort and having a good time. We saw lots of extended families vacationing togethter at the resort and everyone from grandparents to toddlers were out and about taking advantage of the resort amenities. The rooms were nice and clean and a great deal for the value. We will definitely be back to visit again.

1 Thank sagemom96
dc
Reviewed July 11, 2010

We passed this resort several times on our trip on I-68 and decided this summer to go here with 2 other families. I read the reviews here and can understand them and hope this review adds a balance for folks looking for a near by vacation spot from Washington DC.

The Rocky Gap Lodge and Golf Resort is in the Rocky Gap State Park overlooking the Lake Habeeb and caters to both Golfers and vacationers.

Driving there : About 110 miles (2 hours drive) Take 270 to 70 and then take I68 at Hancock.

Expectations : You should choose this destination if you are interested in relaxing, hanging out at the pool or lake or the nearby beach, or biking or hiking on trails or just reading a book on a lakeside lounge chair. The resort is a lodge and will not meet your expectations if you expect this to be a all-inclusive Caribbean style resort destination.

Our Trip

Day 1 : We arrived around noon and one of our rooms was ready so we se our luggage there and went to the Signatures Bar and Grill. Two 16 inch Pizzas ( they were excellent) and $1.50 beer ( special on Thursday) was a great start. Friendly staff.

Rooms were ready by 3 and with kids we went to the indoor heated pool and some of us relaxed in the Jacuzzi. ( kids below 12 not allowed in Jacuzzi). The view from the rooms was very spectacular.

The friendly guy at the Western Maryland Adventures boat rental place told us all about the trails. You can rent kayaks, paddle boats or even take a 3 times a day pontoon tour of the lake.

That evening some of us rented bikes ( $10 per hour -You should consider taking your bike if you have a bike rack) and others walked to the Canyon View Trail. On the way stopped at the Aviary which has come rare owls. At the Canyon View we ran into a group of Western Maryland Photographers Association who meet here on Thursdays.

The Lake Side trail around the lake is 4.7 miles and is awesome. we did only part of it on the first day.

Day 2 : We drove to town in the morning - Cumberland is home to the Western Maryland scenic Railroad and the C& O Canal park. We had breakfast at McDonalds and went to the local WalMart to buy some supplies.

Went to the beach ( open to Day trippers ) that is maintained by the Maryland State Parks and the water was just awesome. There is a maker to indicate the area that you can swim and there was a lifeguard on the beach as well. We really enjoyed the few hours we spent here.

Lunch was at the Lakeside Lounge where the food was good. I had a soup and a Ravioli dish. The dinner menu seems expensive and Friday's they had a dinner sea food buffet $28 per head. I wish the chefs include a choice of a Mexican and a Asian dish so folks have a variety to choose from. I did not see a singe dish with rice in it and that disappointed me.

For all meals gratuity is added for parties over 6 people and there is a 15% service charge at the resort.

As it was raining we relaxed in the lobby and took a ride around the lake and on the Pleasant Valley Dr to the PA border which is 3 to 4 miles from the resort. On the way we saw that there was a Amphitheatre , a camping ground and a Veterans Cemetry.

Dinner was at the Signatures Grill.

Day 3 : Got up early in the morning and did half of the Lake Side trail which was a great experience and then came back and it was time to leave.

We saw several families with kids having a great time. One guest had placed her chair on the lake's edges and was reading a book. Saw people fishing and a few swimming in the lake. On the trail we met a few folks biking the trail which looked very tough for biking.

We are definitely planning to go back . The observation about the chlorine smell is true but was not a big deal for us and I hope that keeps us all safe.

All the staff were very friendly. Hotel has free wifi. No refrigerator in the room and you can get one at $15 a day ( I wish this was a standard amenity provided )

Things we would have done differently:
a) Stayed here for more than 2 nights so that we could walk the trails more
b) Eaten at a off property restaurant at least once just for variety.
c) Spent more time at the beach/ pool

We will be back also to take the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad so expect a review when we do that. Now I am on my way to post some pictures on Flickr http://bit.ly/6wM9Qz

Let me know if I can answer any questions.

5 Thank shashib
Cumberland, Maryland
Reviewed July 10, 2010

Went to a wedding at Rocky Gap, and hoped to spend the night after arrival. The location is beautiful, but this lodge has continually lost money for years and it is easy to see why. I am a military reservist and wanted to get a room at the military discount applicable to active duty and reservists, as the web site states. The first clerk said, "I don't know, they don't tell me anything.' and went to get a cold, officious type who informed me that the discount applied only to active duty military despite what the web site says. Rather than lie and give her my ID which doesn't distinguish, I said I was a reservist and spent 7 months in Fallujah, Iraq but I don't qualify? They couldn't have cared less. My recommendation, if staying in Cumberland, is to go the extra few miles and stay in the Fairfield Inn in Cumberland, within walking distance of all the restaurants, and go back to golf, swim, etc.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
5 Thank Ericocean53
tllewellyn, Director of Sales at Rocky Gap Casino Resort, responded to this review, July 12, 2010
We're sorry that our military discount was not available. We were sold out Saturday night. Hotel pricing works much like the airlines. When there is high demand for rooms, we close out discounting. I hope you understand the financial reasons for such a policy. I'm happy to offer you the discount whenever we are not projected to sell out. Please email us at info@rockygapresort.com for any future reservations..
baltimore
Reviewed July 8, 2010

My sister and I enjoyed our third trip to Rocky Gap last October. After extensive travels to Europe and Asia, my favorite resort is right here in my own state of Maryland! Our extremely comfortable room faced the beautiful lake each time, and we both felt that we had the most restful nights of sleeping in very comfortable beds. Our rooms have always been very clean and accommodating. The staff has always been very professional and courteous. We enjoyed delicious meals in each of the dining areas. The lake view with the bird feeders is beautiful and serene. There is plenty to do and see around the resort and in the town of Cumberland. We have absolutely nothing negative to say about this place. I find some of the negative comments suprising, but I guess you can't please everybody. We will be going back again this summer, and highly recommend this to anyone who wants a very relaxing vacation. By the way, the martinis are outstanding!

• Stayed October 2009
virginia
Reviewed June 26, 2010

We recently stayed at Rocky Gap for 2 days and were a walk in to the hotel. The staff at the front desk wasn't very friendly and we were given a room on the 1st floor. It smelled so strongly of chlorine (the pool is on this level) that we asked to be moved. We relocated to the sixth floor with a view of the lake (pay extra and get the view). This room was fine but overall the guestrooms need upgrading. The curtains were dirty and the carpeting needs to be cleaned or replaced. There was a coffeemaker in our room but no coffeepot - wasn't replaced on the 2nd day either. The restaurant is mediocre at best - go into town for your dining. The bar experience was good and the cocktails were generous. The best part of this location is of course the golf course and the lake. Try to get a chair by the lake and relax - it's very pleasant.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Flintstone
Sleep Inn & Suites Cumberland
Ramada Cumberland Downtown
Ramada Cumberland Downtown
#3 of 4 in Cumberland
Fairfield Inn & Suites Cumberland
Best Western Braddock Inn
The Country Inn of Berkeley Springs
The Country Inn of Berkeley Spri...
#2 of 4 in Berkeley Springs
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#1 of 5 in LaVale

Been to Rocky Gap Casino Resort? Share your experiences!