“Not quite a resort feel”

Rocky Gap Casino Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Flintstone
Reviewed August 10, 2009

spent 4d/3n here for golf. on the plus side, beautiful view of the lake, mountain and the golf course. lots of outdoor activities for the kids to enjoy. campfire was such a treat. however, the room itself didnt have a resort feel. the light fixtures are old and cracked. the bathroom look so dated. no microwave, no fridge, no free wifi! the service is left to be desired too. there was 1 waitress at the Bar & Grill and plenty of families ordering. the wait was long, before and after the food. the water in the pool didnt look so clean either, yaiks! travel mags say to always request for a free upgrade if the hotel is not super booked. i tried (it was only half booked) and front desk wanted $15 per night extra. she says they dont give out lakeview rooms for free.
at this rather challenging economic times, Rocky Gap should go an extra mile to please their guests so that we are likely to return. dont u agree?

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank wkndtrvlr500
There are newer reviews for Rocky Gap Casino Resort

Reviewed August 5, 2009

I stopped at this hotel briefly on a 5 hour trip with my dog. We walked the grounds for 15 minutes. We then returned to the car, and were pulling out. The car windshield was struck by a golf ball. The window cracked and I was frightened, I thought I had been shot at. I then relized it was a golf course. No nets, no boundaries. My car was struck right next to a child's playground too. Not to mention that there is a possiblity of eye damage from glass being hit by a golf ball. When pulling over in shock, a nice golfer came forward to check on me, but the resort did nothing. And the worker in the golf shop was told by the golfers about the incident. He did not seem surprised and only said that they are not liable. No one from the resort came to check on me. I am a nurse. No security guard was called, nothing. It probably happens a lot. The set up is not safe. There is no protection from golf balls for people walking around or driving. You drive right next to flying golf balls and if you get hurt no one checks on you. It is disgusting service and being a nurse, I give this place a zero on safety. I called a few days later and spoke to a nice and informative lady supervisor. She was great. However, there was no follow up from any manager or owner of the hotel to check on me or even an apology. They did nothing. I will never go there and recommend for your safety chose another golf outing with safer grounds and managers/owners who care about your safety and respond when something is wrong. This manager/owner does not follow up.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank crd1974
Reviewed July 17, 2009

This place is gorgeous. Rooms are clean, views are breathtaking. Now, for the bad news. My husband and I were part of a large group -120 people- attending a wedding reception. On Friday night, we were told to "Get Out! "of the resort bar well before midnight. The bartender was surly and rude. He obviously did not want to serve drinks at ALL! As we had all just arrived at the resort, none of us were intoxicated, loud , or profane. We were simply trying to unwind after a long day with a little conversation and a drink. A full bar of people, just sitting and laughing together was told to "Get Out" after we had been there for not more than 15 minutes.
The next evening, our wedding reception ended in the upstairs banquet room at 10:00pm. We again attempted to have a nightcap in the lodge bar and this time we were told. "NO more than ONE drink each. You've consumed too much alcolhol at your reception." Security guards were standing at the entrances to the bar area and the treament we received in the bar was demeaning. Keep in mind that not one person in our party caused any sort of a disturbance. Normal people-normal noise level .
My recommendation- If you're planning your dream wedding celebration and it involves more than coffe, tea and cola - do NOT have it at this resort! We were told this is a "family oriented' establishment. My question?- Why is this place advertised as a "Destination Resort for weddings?" It is not one, believe it! I

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
11  Thank nittany23
Reviewed July 16, 2009

We wanted to get away for a few days and avoid the crowd at the ocean. That's exactly what we got here. It was positively gorgeous. No motorized vehicles are allowed on the lake and the water was very clean. We kayaked & canoed. We rented mountain bikes and also hiked. It was very easy to fill up 3 days with outdoor activities. There were quite a few children, but I must say they were all extremely well behaved. We were unable to use the pool though because it is rather small and was full of kids. The resort also has a children's program each day, such as T shirt tye dye, etc. We did not golf or visit the spa because that's not what we were looking for - on this trip anyway. I thought the service at the hotel was excellent at all levels. The food was delicious. Just understand that this place is not cheap. If you're looking for a bargain this is not it. We did use a 3 nights for the price of 2 special listed on their website which made the cost very reasonable. If you want peace, quiet, good service, outdoor activities in a beautiful clean location this is for you. If you're looking for parties, excitement, night life and a cheap price then this is not for you. I will definitely go back!

• Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed July 13, 2009

We came here for a wedding last weekend and it was a beautiful place to visit. Lots of Mountainbiking, Swimming and activities for people of all ages. Now for what I didnt like... I am 31 years old and visited with about 150 ppl for the wedding. They cut off the wedding party after it was over and said that they were not allowed to serve us anymore, even at the bar downstairs which was not affiliated with the wedding upstairs. They said because the wedding bar was open for 6 hours upstairs that they couldnt serve us anymore at the regular bar downstairs. We said fine, we will just buy alcohol and take it out by the lake. They said they wouldnt sell us anything. Okay, so we were going to take a taxi into town and buy it ourselves and bring it back. Mind you, this was at 10pm. They said that they would confiscate the alcohol because we didnt buy it there (which they would not sell us anyway). I must confess we are a large group of 25-40 year olds who like to drink and party. But we were not to drunk to continue the party.

Go here if you want to enjoy the lake and mountain bike. It was a beautiful setting and was nesteled in between the mountains.

The Golf course was nice too. Not 80 bucks a round nice, but nice.

Bottom line, dont book a wedding here if you like to party and have a good time. The atmosphere does not support it. It is way more family oriented than party oriented. The bars shut down at midnight also.
I didnt think that it was worth 215 dollars a night either. Nothing special about the rooms.

• Stayed: July 2009
5  Thank moopswvu
Reviewed March 26, 2009

Nice location, beautiful view of lake. Wake-up calls very dependable. Rooms very comfortable. Friendly bar staff at the pro shop. Would stay there anytime. Internet at reasonable price.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank tlc141
Reviewed February 16, 2009

My husband and I stayed here valentines evening. Check in was quick and friendly. The hotel is pretty when you drive up and walk in. The views and location are very pretty. Beyond the foyer the hotel is like a 10 year old holiday inn. Definitely not a four diamond resort. The room was neat and tidy, the bed was comfortable. The bathrooms and rooms are outdated decor wise. The bathroom was quite small. Our "golf view" room had a view of the road and a parking lot. We did not eat at the hotel as previous reviews had advised against it. We did walk through the dining rooms though and the decor was outdated and inexpensive looking. We walked through the spa and it was cluttered and outdated. The exercise room was collection of four machines in a small room. The pool was neat, especially the outdoor pool overlooks the lake. They did have a board of activities listed in the foyer which was nice, especially for families with kids. There were a lot of kids and I would say the hotel seemed very kid friendly. Essentially, if you are stopping through and need a place to stay I would recommend this place. If you are looking for a nice resort get-away, this is not the place.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank b304z
Also consider these accommodations in or near Flintstone
Sleep Inn & Suites Cumberland
Ramada Cumberland Downtown
Ramada Cumberland Downtown
#3 of 4 in Cumberland
Fairfield Inn & Suites Cumberland
Best Western Braddock Inn
The Country Inn of Berkeley Springs
The Country Inn of Berkeley Spri...
#2 of 4 in Berkeley Springs
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#1 of 5 in LaVale

Been to Rocky Gap Casino Resort? Share your experiences!