“Not for people who like to Party”

Rocky Gap Casino Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Flintstone
Golden, Colorado
“Not for people who like to Party”
Reviewed July 13, 2009

We came here for a wedding last weekend and it was a beautiful place to visit. Lots of Mountainbiking, Swimming and activities for people of all ages. Now for what I didnt like... I am 31 years old and visited with about 150 ppl for the wedding. They cut off the wedding party after it was over and said that they were not allowed to serve us anymore, even at the bar downstairs which was not affiliated with the wedding upstairs. They said because the wedding bar was open for 6 hours upstairs that they couldnt serve us anymore at the regular bar downstairs. We said fine, we will just buy alcohol and take it out by the lake. They said they wouldnt sell us anything. Okay, so we were going to take a taxi into town and buy it ourselves and bring it back. Mind you, this was at 10pm. They said that they would confiscate the alcohol because we didnt buy it there (which they would not sell us anyway). I must confess we are a large group of 25-40 year olds who like to drink and party. But we were not to drunk to continue the party.

Go here if you want to enjoy the lake and mountain bike. It was a beautiful setting and was nesteled in between the mountains.

The Golf course was nice too. Not 80 bucks a round nice, but nice.

Bottom line, dont book a wedding here if you like to party and have a good time. The atmosphere does not support it. It is way more family oriented than party oriented. The bars shut down at midnight also.
I didnt think that it was worth 215 dollars a night either. Nothing special about the rooms.

• Stayed July 2009
5 Thank moopswvu

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
Wheeling, West Virginia
Reviewed March 26, 2009

Nice location, beautiful view of lake. Wake-up calls very dependable. Rooms very comfortable. Friendly bar staff at the pro shop. Would stay there anytime. Internet at reasonable price.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank tlc141
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 16, 2009

My husband and I stayed here valentines evening. Check in was quick and friendly. The hotel is pretty when you drive up and walk in. The views and location are very pretty. Beyond the foyer the hotel is like a 10 year old holiday inn. Definitely not a four diamond resort. The room was neat and tidy, the bed was comfortable. The bathrooms and rooms are outdated decor wise. The bathroom was quite small. Our "golf view" room had a view of the road and a parking lot. We did not eat at the hotel as previous reviews had advised against it. We did walk through the dining rooms though and the decor was outdated and inexpensive looking. We walked through the spa and it was cluttered and outdated. The exercise room was collection of four machines in a small room. The pool was neat, especially the outdoor pool overlooks the lake. They did have a board of activities listed in the foyer which was nice, especially for families with kids. There were a lot of kids and I would say the hotel seemed very kid friendly. Essentially, if you are stopping through and need a place to stay I would recommend this place. If you are looking for a nice resort get-away, this is not the place.

• Liked — pretty views
  • Disliked — outdated
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank b304z
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed February 6, 2009

I took my boyfriend here to try something other than going to the beach and we had a great time. It's quiet and relaxing and there are plenty of activities for those who like the great outdoors. We had a golf course view room which was fine since most of our time was spent outside. The restaurant has breathtaking views but the food was average. It would definitely be a great place for families with young kids (didn't see alot of teens) or couples. We booked a guided bass tour which was very nice but expensive and in 4 hours we only caught 1 fish. Next time we'll rent the rods and fish from the pier. We are planning to go back in the fall and take the kids.

• Liked — The views and peacefulness
  • Disliked — Rooms and food were average.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chris M
Ellicott City, MD
Reviewed October 26, 2008

Spent 3 days at a conference. The property, staff & food service exceeded my expectations...the location is BEAUTIFUL!

There are always opportunities for improvement - a few suggestions:

(1) My room (620) has different florescent bulbs in the bathroom fixture (soft white & bright white) - Be consistent...it matters.
(2) There were no visible recycling bins in the bedrooms or public spaces...its a State Park!..it matters.
(3) Guests should be asked if they would like a morning newspaper left at their bedroom door - avoid unnecessary waste - consider asking the guest when they check in...it matters.
(4) A towel in the bathroom was frayed along the edges and torn.

I loved walking on the pathways around the hotel/resort and enjoyed discovering the Aviary.

Its a special place and look forward to returning with the family.

• Liked — Location/venue
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
Washington DC
Reviewed October 20, 2008

I just returned from a stay at the Rocky Gap Resort. My brother was getting married there so I experienced just about everything the Resort had to offer. The rooms were adequate and clean. Note that if you want maid service make sure to put the little tab on the door so they know. They missed me each day until I figured this out but our room was such a mess from the preparations that it was probably best. When I did see the maid in the hall she gladly gave me an armful of fresh towels when I asked and my Aunt said the maid was wonderful to her and very good about taking care of her.

The food was really good. I was honestly shocked as I did not expect it from a place like this. I am a cook and I plan lots of events and the food is never very impressive. While the beef at the reception was kind of off (chewy) that night, everything else was really fantastic. I even had Coconut Shrimp that did NOT taste like suntan lotion for the first time! :) They were also VERY good with the pours at the bar :) The rehersal dinner food was wonderful and this comments were from the women that taught ME how to cook! We did the BBQ ribs, chicken, salads, and corn muffins. The apple cobbler was like home made (I made an apple pie the week before we went and it was just as good!). I even liked their iced tea so much I kept ordering a big pitcher of it to carry around while we worked.

The event staff was VERY responsive and helpful. I plan events for work and would feel comfortable trusting them with a meeting or small conference.

I did not do much of the outdoor activities but my husband did take the girls out in a canoe, our friends jogged each morning. and we used the playground and took the girls to a craft class. The only "negetive" I heard back was that the jogging trail wasn't set up for a stroller/jogger so they couldn't take their kids with them...no problem though as we watched them for them.

All in all I was very pleasantly surprised at the level of service here and the quality of the food. I have worked with the Disney properties, Marriott, Westin and several of the large casino hotels in Vegas and I was just as pleased with Rocky Gap as with the others I have worked with! Great Job!

• Liked — The fall leaves were gorgeous and the scenery was lovely.
  • Disliked — Really nothing negetive to say. Maybe that there were no airports close by.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank WashingtonDCJosie
Columbia, MD
Reviewed October 12, 2008

I'm a little shocked at some of the negative comments about this resort. My husband and I just returned from the Rocky Gap Resort, we went for a quick get-away to celebrate our anniversary, and we just loved it. What a beautiful location and resort! The rooms were nice and clean, they were a decent size, the bathrooms were small, but that was ok. The hiking trails were nice, they have a small aviary on the property and you can go in and view all the birds, if you want to go off the property, they are within a few miles of great tourists sites.

The only negative: While the food was delicious, it was a bit over-priced and took a while to come out. You're better off going with the buffet to avoid the long wait, but the staff was very friendly, not rude like someone else indicated.

• Liked — The setting/location
  • Disliked — restaurant serices
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Trvlr02
Also consider these accommodations in or near Flintstone
Sleep Inn & Suites Cumberland
Gunter Hotel
Gunter Hotel
#2 of 6 in Frostburg
Holiday Inn Express & Suites La Vale - Cumberland

Been to Rocky Gap Casino Resort? Share your experiences!