“Potential, but did not meet expectations”

Rocky Gap Casino Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Flintstone
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

$180 for a room
Construction so we had a view I
of a crane, asked to move and changed to view of parking lot
Not much to do other than gamble or golf
Lakeside restaurant was great and our waiter made the trip worthwhile

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Rkdunkin

Reviewed July 25, 2013

First, let me start off by saying my partner and I stayed here back in January (off season) prior to the casino... so this review is based on pre and post casino. We had a great time back then...and we had a great time this past weekend. The only issue I MUST point out is the service in the restaurants was really realllllllllly slow. The servers seemed overwhelmed by the volume of guests. I'm sure they are still getting adjusted to the increase in business since the casino opened but the service has been negatively impacted. The Poolside sports bar was the only place to get decent service. We opted to eat there over the Burger Lounge. On Sunday evening we actually got up and left the Burger Lounge because the service was so bad. I felt bad for the servers because they all seemed so clueless and overwhelmed. We opted to pay the extra money to order room service...which was indeed quicker.

We stayed on the 6th floor in a Lakeview room. While the view was breath-taking the construction going on down below our window was an eyesore. I just made a point to not look down and focused on the beautiful lake and mountains. The room was VERY clean. The water pressure was a little slow and the drain in the tub wasn't working properly. Another reviewer stated RG needed to put handrails in the bathroom tub...I didn't understand this until I tried to take a bath! I'm in my mid-30's and I needed a handrail! So, I can't imagine an elderly person attempting to take a bath in those tubs. It can be very dangerous.

The Resort was noticeably busier than this past January but it wasn't uncomfortable. It was actually kinda nice to see more than 20 people around there. So, the volume of guests didn't bother me any. The staff was all very friendly and willing to help. The valet dude was awesome! I wish I could remember his name but all I can remember is he was from Maryland and his last name was either "True" or "Blue." He helped us load and unload our luggage and was so funny!

Overall RG Casino Resort and Spa received an A- for my visit. I will be going back and I would highly recommend to friends and family.

Room Tip: lakeview on Top floor
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Nell B
Reviewed July 25, 2013

In the middle of nowhere, so very nice and quiet.
Scenic environment.
Nice restaurant.
Large and nice rooms.

Only stayed for 1 night. Arrived late and left early, so did not get a chance to explore everything the area had to offer. Should be great for family getaways.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank johannesbergno
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We paid for a King Suite overlooking the Golf Course - We were on the first floor overlooking the parking lot and construction - there was not a golf course to be found - this is false advertisement. We checked in at 3:05 and our room was not ready - at 4:30 after waiting in line a SECOND time, we were told that there was 1 room left (we had reservations) and it was on the 1st floor. I asked to speak to a manager and was told that they do not work on weekends (if your casino is new - you need managers round the clock 7 days a week). The resort has potential but is so poorly managed that it will not be successful! We will not go back.

6  Thank Meleana011704
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Great place love that its totally non smoking. Very pleasant friendly staff. Rooms clean. Beds great. Showers great. Have eaten in two of the restaurants food was very good. A little pricey but not bad.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Posielady
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My wife and I drove from Pittsburgh for a nights stay at Rocky Gap. We could of stayed at lady luck but the cost there was outrageous. Rocky Gap resort was very relaxing, room nicely appointed. Staff was wonderful and the casino was the perfect size with all the latest slots. She enjoyed the spa, while I enjoyed a cold beer looking at the lake. Food was average price very good. Overall very pleased.

Room Tip: Lake side, beautiful view. Ask for room away from pool, the roof obstructs your view.
1  Thank PattyPK
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I'll preface this review by stating that we did NOT spend the night at this resort and this review is based off of primarily our casino and spa experience.

As frequent visitors to Las Vegas, my wife and I decided to take a day trip to Rocky Gap Resort since it is only an hour and a half away from where we live.

We were pleased with the complimentary valet service, the staff out there does a great job. Upon entering the resort, we found the signage very lacking in helping us figure out where the spa was. A resort employee kindly gave us directions to the spa.

My wife reports that the spa was mediocre at best. There is no locker area to change in nor a shower available to use after the spa services.The massage she received was just ok and her pedicure (hot stone) was "good".

While my wife was in the spa, I hit up the casino. Again, I'll preface this by saying that I am a "seasoned" casino guest visiting casinos all over the U.S.A.

Casino staff were very friendly and there was a good energy in the casino. The floor is a bit small, but lots of strategically placed mirrors made the room feel a lot larger than it really is. I only play roulette and was disappointed to see only one roulette table on the floor. Table minimum was $5.00, which is nice to see (I was playing at minimum, $20.00 per spin). Stacey (the roulette dealer) was definitely new at her craft. but was very friendly and had a good attitude.

Play was VERY SLOW at the tables due to the manual sorting/distribution of chips and the relative "green" status of all dealers. With a table as full and busy as ours, I am very surprised the floor supervisor did not instruct another dealer to join our table to help.

After playing for 1.5 hours, the floor supervisor came over to inform our table that the minimum would be raised to $10.00 after 30 minutes and everyone at the table would be subject to the increase. Now, even though I was already playing $20, I have a huge problem with this. Every other casino (I've been to) on the face of the earth would grandfather the current players in at the lower minimum.

The floor supervisor then was instructing players at the table to move to "assigned" places so she could squeeze 2 more people in at the table who wanted to play. By "assigned" places, she meant getting UNCOMFORTABLY CLOSE to other players in order to "squeeze" in 2 more people who wanted to play. We were literally shoulder to shoulder. By the time all was said and done, we had 12 people at our table throwing elbows to place a bet. After this ridiculousness, I colored out and left the table.

Lots of potential here, but other than the proximity to my home, not a whole lot to make me want to come back. I was having a "decent" time until the idiotic floor supervisor decided to treat our table like a ringling brothers clown car.

Room Tip: avoid rooms close to construction
4  Thank LetsGetCritical
Also consider these accommodations in or near Flintstone
Sleep Inn & Suites Cumberland
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#1 of 5 in LaVale
The Country Inn of Berkeley Springs
The Country Inn of Berkeley Spri...
#2 of 4 in Berkeley Springs

Been to Rocky Gap Casino Resort? Share your experiences!