“Nice hotel in state park on edge of a small lake”

Rocky Gap Casino Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Flintstone
Annapolis, Maryland
“Nice hotel in state park on edge of a small lake”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We had a nice visit to this hotel on a busy weekend. The hotel is situated on a beautiful mountain lake. There is a very nice golf course on the property. There are kayaks, canoes and rowboats for rent. There is swimming at the state park a short walk from the hotel. There are some great hikes for all abilities located around the hotel.We are not into gambling so we did not visit the casino. Our room faced the lake. Most rooms just have windows. It looks like a dozen or so also have porches/verandas looking out over the water. Our room was very comfortable. Good beds and linens. The bathroom a little dated but fine. The room had a fridge and microwave. The hotel has a small indoor pool with jacuzzi. There are several restaurants. We ate at Lakeside for dinner and breakfast. The crab bisque was awesome. The Ahi Tuna was covered in way too much pepper. The wine list was very reasonable. Breakfast buffet very reasonable at $12.50/person. We had a good time but a resort with a casino is not our cup of tea.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of the lake if you want that view. The other way faces the golf course...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
Waldorf, Maryland
Reviewed July 7, 2013

After reading the recent reviews of the resort, I had some concerns before arriving... No doubt.. But I can say, they were completely unfounded.. The only real complaint that I have is probably minor...

I had a lake view room, no problems there.. Maid service was above par.. The room was comfortable and clean.

The breakfast buffet was adequate, but a bit overpriced.. Quality wise, it should have come in around 10 bucks instead of the 12.95 they whew charging...

The casino is the perfect size, a proper mix of machines/tables to patrons.. The machines were typically tight for Maryland properties.

We golfed on one of the most beautiful courses in MD and saw lots of wildlife... Simply beautiful..

The bike riding was unfortunately short as one of the bikes had a brake problem... The young lady waived the charges though... How cool..

The only real problem that I noted was the waitstaff.. At 2 of the restaurants it was pretty clear that we had summer hire college kids for waiters or bar staff.. They had that aloof attitude and acted as if they really didn't care about the customer... Certainly need some training there..

Otherwise, I am sure I will be going back again and again..

Room Tip: Lake view room rocked!
1 Thank Rnelan
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Great place to get away and relax. Clean, friendly, relatively inexpensive table games, nice variety of slots. Lots to do! Bring your fishing poles or rent them there. We went in June for a few hours and again on the 4th of July and stayed overnight. Fairly quiet in June, busy on the 4th.The room was nice, but the view of the beautiful lake was somewhat lacking because of the dirty cobwebs on the outside of the window. The bed couldn't have been any more comfortable. Can't wait to go back in the fall when the colors are out. The drive into the area is also great.

Room Tip: The lake view is nice.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
baltimore
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Spent July 4th at the resort. We do not gamble, we really just wanted to visit the area. The setting is simply beautiful. The lake and trails are very nice.

The casino is nicely seperated from the remainder of the facility. While crowded, we did not feel over whelmed by guests as you might expect on a major holiday.

The employees were very pleasant and helpful. Our room was clean and a nice size, but the bath could use an update and the room air conditioner made a very loud noise when it cycled on - but did not keep you awake or wake you up.

The down side of the resort is that they have a lot of fine tuning to do. For example:
There is no smoking at the entrance, however, 30 feet away under the entrance pavilion is a smoking station.
The out door casual dining is by the pool, which is fine, but there are staff cars parked on a concrete pad between the builing the the lake blocking your view. Who's idea was it to put a concrete pad and staff parking by the lake?
The trails are nice, Directions to the trails and their markings need improvement.
The food was passable, but nothing you would come back for.

This could be an excellent facility if attention to detail is improved.

Room Tip: Rooms with lake views are worth the money.
Johnstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Took my significant other their for our anniversary. Pulled in on our Harley Davidsons- Seperate vehicles, mine a $42,000 CVO vehicle. Wanted to get our luggage off of the bikes and put on a luggage rack to be able to take to the rooms before parking the bikes. The valet immediately instructed us to move our vehicles out of the way. Of course with no offer for valet parking, which is okay, I can park my own motorcycle.
They offered NO HELP no get our suitcases from our motorcycles but indicated for us to move them elsewhere. HEY FOLKS, they are vehicles also....and mine is more expensive than alot of the cars they were parking.
Needless to say, he doesnt realize he probably lost one of his biggest tips for the day since I have never tipped less than a $50.00 for valet parking and luggage service.
But, obiviously neither was available to us since we were on our Harley Davidson motorcycles. Then, when I went to take one of the luggage racks down through the parking lot to load I was told I could not do that either, they had to stay up front where the parking was. A bit of a double standard I'd say.
Arrived early, but room was not available. Did get a promotional rate of $99.00 per night. The gentleman that did the reservation Preston was very very nice and accomadating. Front desk clerk.....not so nice. Room was not available for some time, and instead of offering to call us when it was we waited endlessly having to check back. Not professional!
Rooms, were okay for the value. They were clean and nice but bathroom outdated. Room service was good but pricey.
Went to Signature Rest, food and service was good. Ate at Lakeview , VERY UNHAPPY and DIS-SATISFIED with the service of the hostess. I had requested a seat by the lake, a table was open but needed cleaned. I told her I would be happy to wait until it was cleaned.
The Hostess stated it was taken and sat us two tables away. The table she sat us at...ALSO NEEDED CLEANED, so we had to wait. We sat down, and then she immediately sat the people behind us at the window seat I requested. Clearly she lied and it was not taken. I asked the individuals if they had it reserved and they indicated no. CLEARLY "THE APPEARENCE OF IMPROPRIETY" on her part.
That set the tone for my 2 day stay. I was pissed! I took 30G yes thirty thousand with me to gamble but after that little incidence spent 20.00 and the cascino and decided I"d rather fly to Vegas and get more bing for my buck then tolerate that kind of treatment from a hostess who really did not give a flying s____! Spoke with the manager, no offer to comp the meal, nothing other than I will talk to her! What kind of patron needs that treatment when patronizing an establishment. Employees all seemed like they were trainning and had to wait several times when purchasing items for them to ring things through. Only Coke products on premises, had to go to employee parking lot a tad away to get Pepsi, Mountain Dew products from machine.

Moral: If you ride a Harley dont expect valet parking or assistance with your luggage. If you arrive early, dont expect a room to be available. If you ask for a window seat at the Lakeview rest don't expect that either but expect the person in line behind you to get it. Personally I will patronize A business that appreciates it customers and atleast treats them half descent. This visit their, that was not the case. Hopefully they will ammend some of their policies to be more accomadating to all calibers of individuals.

Room Tip: If you request a Lakeview room, make sure its not on the end of the building where the noise and co...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
9 Thank Tsikalas T
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Arrival
I checked in at Rocky Gap Resort on June 27th and checked out on June 29. It turned out to be a pleasurable stay and I enjoyed resort. However, Rocky Gap is clearly in transition and there are many things that need improvement.

Driving into the resort is a pleasant experience in its own right. The view of the lake as you approach the hotel is fantastic and it immediately made me feel relaxed. When I pulled up to the hotel entrance, the young staff were quick, but polite and friendly. Do yourself a favor USE THE VALET!! It will not cost you extra, except for the well deserved tip. Otherwise, you will most likely end up parking some where in Mongolia. These kids are hard working and responsible professionals. They are worth of trust with your vehicle. They are also right there to provide great service with your luggage.

Stepping inside the front door changes everything. All of the relaxation that the property and staff have given you as you drove in, instantly evaporates. The lobby is incredibly congested, confusing and intimidating especially for first time guests. As you walk in, the casino entrance is on your immediate left and the front desk is on your immediate right, with no more than the width of the doorway seperating them.

The security guard was checking IDs which backed up a small line toward the front desk. There are also people playing slots and video poker right there just past the guard. The noise definitely lets you know you have arrived at a casino. Meanwhile, I got in line to check in at the front desk. And, the short line I was in, pushed back toward the short line for the ID check going into the casino. And more people were coming in the front door and coming toward the front desk from other directsions too. So, congestion is the name of the game once you walk through the front door. Relaxation is pretty well shot.

As for check in, there were two people at the very small front desk. One was on the phone, which left just one to check in the rapidly lengthening line. The clerk was efficient and it didn't take all that long of a wait. But, it felt hurried and there was no time to ask questions about the resort and activities other than the casino. The feeling was that you had to move away so the next person could be checked in. But, on the plus side, all of my room requests (that I made on line) were met and she still took time to smile.

Room
The room was a 5th floor king with a "golf course view". Next time I will get a "lake view". The room was clean and fairly spacious. The decor was pleasant and I started to feel relaxed again. But. there were some negatives.

I have a computer and a cpap machine. I need the cpap machine near the bed, but the outlets were all being used by lights, phone, and radio. I disconnected a light and hooked up the cpap. But, it was a difficult manuever as the (unmovable) bed frame partially blocked access to the outlet. next time, I will have to bring an extension cord. There was an outlet by the desk for my computer, but there was only one functioning recepticle and it had the desk light plugged in to it. The bottom receptacle had no power to it and looked like it was damaged in some way. I did call maintenance about it, but nobody ever came up to deal with it.

The rest of the room was fine. The wardrobe unit also held the fridge, coffeemaker, and flat screen television. The desk chair was comfortable as well as the lounge chair and ottoman. All in all, a nice room with a few minor quirks.

However, the bathroom is small. The tub doubles as the shower and is enclosed by a clear glass door. The floor of the tub is scored to help prevent slippage. But, there are no safety bars to grab onto if you do happen to slip. Fall plus glass door is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Casino
The casino is pretty much a standard casino with the strong emphasis on slots and video poker. In the center are the very few table games. There is one craps table, one roulette table, a couple of poker tables , and the rest black jack. But, after observing the players at differnt times during the day, the balance between slots and table games is correct. I elected to spend my time playing blackjack. As is the case for most of the staff throughout the resort, the dealers are young. But, they are being mentored by experienced pit bosses from Vegas. From what i observed, the relationship here between dealers and pit bosses is more like gifted college students working with an accomplished professor. This meant that my gaming experience was relaxed and enjoyable at the table games.

The big drawback to this casino is the seemingly total absence of beverage service. There is a central bar, but I did not see a single server out an about the tables. The cupholders at every table game and slot machine were totally useless.

Dining

Lakeside - My first breakfast there was very good. A well cooked and presented omlette and perfectly cooked has browns ( i am a stickler about my hash browns and it impressed me that they got it right the first time). My second breakfast there was another matter. I decided to try the breakfast buffet. It was worse than a Comfort Inn. No chef to make omlettes for you (you have to order them from the menu). Droopy bacon, dried out eggs, and waterd down oatmeal. Fortunately, my server let me change my order to Maryland Benedict, which were eggs benedict with old bay added to the hollandaise. When that dish came out, it had one nicely poached egg and one that may as well have been hard boiled. The hollandaise drowned the entire plate. So, they need some work to become more consistant at breakfast. But, there is hope in the form of the new executive chef, and I will get to him in a minute.

Dinner at Lakeside is exact oposite from breakfast. The dinner menu is as boring as it is limited, while all the best surprises are on the buffet. Chef Scott, the aforementioned "hope" graciously came out to talk to me and left me with a definite "I want to come back many times" feeling. Among many things, he pointed out to me that the menu was limited by design as they see what works and what doesn't and he will be looking to expand it later in the fall. He did say that he made some immediate changes in that all food is now prepped in his kitchen rather than off site as it had been prior to the rennovation. He also said that he was able to experiment more with the buffet and has even roasted a pig for the Sunday Buffet. Something important to note is that Chef Scott likes to prepare dishes for those folks with dietary restrictions. He only ask for a 48 to 72 hour heads up because of the orders he will have to place with his purveyors.

Burger Lounge - Is exactly what it says. It offers burgers made to suit your preference. They come from Lakeside's kitchen and are well prepared.

Signatures - Is located in the golf pro shop and is a total waste of time. It seems like it is the red-headed stepchild of the restaurants. The menu is about as limited as a kid's lemonade stand. I had the chicken tenders, but they were not appealing and neither was anythign else on the menu. It's really a bar with a big video wall that shows golf 24-7. The interior is dirty with badly unkept serving stations. The bar seems okay. But that's the only good thing I have to say about it.

Rocky Gap Park and the Lake
The hotel is right nextg door to Rocky Gap State Park. There is a "park fee" on your bill that enables you to visit the park whenever you want during your stay. The park has a very nice beach for swimming with an exceptional bath house / concession stand right there. There are also boat rentals available as well as fishing. But, you have to find this all out on your own because the hotel does not give you any of this information unless you specifically ask for it. At least, that was my experience there.

The lake is beautiful. It is so beautiful in fact, that it rivals the casino for the reason to come here. I am hopeful that the Resort will use the casino to promote activities on the Lake rather than just rake in the cash from the casino.

Resort Staff
They have a young group of exceptional professionals working in all of their departments. Every staff member I encountered was friendly, helpful, and professional. I watched them as they handled some difficult issues with confidence and courtesy. The managers are approachable and respectful. They all understand that the recently re-opened resort is going through some growing pains, but they are excited about its future. And, that makes me excited to come back again very soon and very often.

Room Tip: Always always ask for Lakeview.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank wilshade
Clarksburg, MD
Reviewed June 29, 2013

If you live in the DC area, this hotel is super convenient for a weekend getaway. I took my husband here to celebrate Father's Day. We were a bit disappointed by the addition of the casino, but still enjoyed our stay. The back of the hotel had some construction going on, but it really did not inconvenience us. I really loved the restaurant view overlooking the lake. It looks like something from a post card. Our daughter swam in the indoor/outdoor pool every day and I worked out in the small gym (which was never crowded) or ran outside. It is within easy walking distance of the Rocky Gap State Park, so you can walk to a bird sanctuary in the park or hike the trails. The trail that runs completely around the lake is somewhat difficult to navigate in some areas (and easy to get lost), so I wouldn't recommend taking your children on this hike. We tried it with our daughter last year and practically had to carry her the last half of the trail. The lake is really clean for swimming and has a nice beach area by the state park. We also enjoyed the fishing. My daughter caught 11 small fish in just a few hours. You can also rent Yolo boards, canoes, and kayaks at the hotel. The restaurant by the pool had zero healthy options, so I ate in the nicer restaurant every day. If you don't mind burgers and hot dogs, you can eat by the pool. The casino brings some "interesting" folks to the hotel, and we rather enjoyed watching them counting their money before walking in the door on Saturday night.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Flintstone
Sleep Inn & Suites Cumberland
#3 of 4 in Berkeley Springs
Gunter Hotel
Gunter Hotel
#2 of 6 in Frostburg

Been to Rocky Gap Casino Resort? Share your experiences!