“Flintstone, MD does not include Fred and Wilma sightings” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rocky Gap Casino Resort

Rocky Gap Casino Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Flintstone
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Flintstone, MD does not include Fred and Wilma sightings”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I recently stayed at Rocky Gap with a friend for a weekend getaway. I enjoyed the beautiful scenery - i.e. mountains and lake. For a few extra bucks,request a room overlooking the lake. Trust me, it will be worth your while. The hotel staff was friendly and I enjoyed the family friendly environment. I went at an off peak time and was very happy with the lack of crowds.

There are great activities for everyone in the family - there is a pool and sauna and workout room (they desperately need a fan or AC because it was like a sauna in there!), there is a great bar, and hiking trails available nearby.

The rooms were clean and modern, although I believed that the bathrooms were not too great. Still, I believe that for the amount you are paying, you are getting a lot. The atmosphere at Rocky Gap is relaxing, warm, and comfortable. I think the prices are reasonable and the accommodations are less than perfect, although it is not like it is a luxury hotel. I had to remind myself that a few times as I found two stinkbugs in my room.

I would have to recommend the hotel but NOT THE SPA!! I hear that the massages are great, but my friend got two manicures - both peeled off, cost over $40.00 and was not able to get a refund.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a lake view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bethanie C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
Hagerstown, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The staff was very friendly. The views were great. The food was good. We had a very relaxing time there and would go back again. I would recommend this hotel to couples and families, there is plenty to do. A lake...campground nearby, golf, tennis and basketball...also hiking.

Room Tip: We got a great rate through living social deals
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank duck1205
Freeland, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Rocky Gap Lodge and Golf Resort in March is absolutely beautiful. Even with the construction in progress, the Lodge/Hotel's appearance is clean and welcoming. Every member of the Staff at the Hotel was pleasant and extremely accomodating. Our room overlooking the lake was clean and spacious and the price was quite reasonable. We only spent one night, but it truly would have been nice to spend a couple of days. The atmosphere is relaxing at the Resort. The food at the restaurant was fit for a King and Queen. The Breakfast Buffet on Sunday morning was filled with a great variety of choices, fresh and delicious. We hope to be heading to Cumberland, Maryland soon to spend more time is this historic town and stay at a hotel where you feel like it's home. Thank you Rocky Gap for making our weekend so nice.

Room Tip: Although any room would be nice, a room with the view of the lake just helps to make you feel that y...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We were checking out the historic buildings and lovely architecture in Cumberland, and decided to stay the night at the Rocky Gap Lodge. We could not have been happier with our decision. The check in was friendly, our room was very comfortable and had a lovely view. We had decided to get dinner at the lodge and what an excellent thing that was! We were both pleasantly surprised by the high quality of the food ( we ordered a la carte,although the buffet looked good too). My fish was perfectly prepared, as was the caesar salad and creme brulee, which was beautifully presented with a real orchid. The waitress was really good and very pleasant. The next morning,before leaving we asked the young woman at the front desk about the place and she patiently and enthusiastically told us about the history of the lodge and gave us some suggestions on what to do. I think it would be great to go back in the summer or fall.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed over night for Valentine's Day weekend. The front desk staff was not friendly in the least. I'm not even sure if either girl even smiled. They acted as if we were bothering them. Although I did interrupt one of them to ask a question while she was on her cell phone and she made it clear that she did not appreciate it. The food was not good at all. The main restaurant was crowded so we ate at Signatures Bar and Grill. The service was good. But I found some kind of shredded wood in my nachos and my husband found a broken tooth pick in his sandwich. They did take the nachos off the bill. We went over to the bar attached to the restaurant for a late night drink and had to sit at the bar as every table needed bussed. I believe we were there for about 45 minutes before staff started clearing them. They are currently building the casino at the "resort". They have a long way to go to be a successful casino I believe. The first step would be to get rid of, or train, the lazy front desk staff in proper hotel service! I would not stay here again nor do I think I will be visiting the casino.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank Gina K
Vienna, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Stayed for three nights this December with our two young children and had a great time. While this is only an average property in terms of the dated rooms and food - the location and amenities make this a great place for a family trip. Kids will love the indoor pool. There is a beauitful lobby fireplace seating area for games and reading. The grounds and lake offer tons to do and the ski resorts are a very manageable drive of 45 minutes. The restaurants are average, but not bad. Service is friendly. I had two spa treatments which were better than expected but the massage treatment rooms had thin walls and were a bit noisy. When the weather allows, the firepit is a welcome place to relax outside.

Room Tip: Make sure you request a room with a view of the beautiful lake.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank LoveTaxidia
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband and I were part of the "weary travelers" mentioned in the "Snowed in at Christmas" review. Rocky Gap Lodge was very accommodating to all of the travelers stranded due to the wrecks on I-68. They could have price gouged us but didn't. The staff worked very hard, gave 110%, even though I am sure they had many call offs due to the weather. We were so thankful they had a room for us. The onsite restaurant and bar was an added bonus! The room was very clean and what I saw of the property the next morning was beautiful. Yes the room was a little tired. The bathroom was small (think older Holiday Inn) but there was a nice counter/mirror outside the bathroom to get ready. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again if I am in the area, and I am so grateful we had a nice warm, clean, comfortable room to spend the night in.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Flintstone
Ramada Cumberland Downtown
Comfort Inn & Suites
#1 of 5 in LaVale
4.5 of 5 stars 185 reviews
The Country Inn of Berkeley Springs
The Country Inn of Berkeley Spri...
#2 of 6 in Berkeley Springs
4.0 of 5 stars 128 reviews

Been to Rocky Gap Casino Resort? Share your experiences!