“Nice Place - Restaurant Not so great :(”

Rocky Gap Casino Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Flintstone
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I visited resort for a business trip. The lake and scenery at the resort are beautiful. The rooms are ok. The restaurant and bar/grill are not so great. The service in both the restaurant and the grill were poor -especially the restaurant. My co-workers and I pretty much headed offsite for most meals during stay. Otherwise, the resort is nice for the area.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Rocky Gap Casino Resort

Reviewed July 31, 2011

This resort is in a beautiful location. The state park is just gorgeous. As I was on a business trip, I didn't get to really enjoy the amenities, but can speak to the rooms and main facility. Check-in was friendly and quick. The room is nice and the beds were moderately comfortable. Bath was up to date and I liked the separate sink outside the bath that was very well lit. The A/C was the old style with just 2 fan choices and a dial. It was also a bit noisy. But it got the job done and I got used to the sound. The TV was a newer LCD but the bedspread was the old style and that was a bit unappealing.

My two biggest disappointments were the lack of any room service Monday-Friday, and the 11 am check out. There was zero ability for anyone to even get a noon check out.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
SeniorExecAsstKati, Public Relations Manager at Rocky Gap Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2011

Thank you very much for your comments on your stay at Rocky Gap Resort! We appreciate your feedback. We're always striving to become an even better resort.

I've passed your comments on to our Engineering Dept, Food & Beverage Dept, and to the Front Desk Staff and I can assure you that they will take your comments into consideration. Also, I'm sorry to hear that you were unable to have a late check-out during your stay. We do typically offer that option to guests, as long as it is possible. It sounds like you may have been checking out on the same day a new batch of guests were checking in and it wasn't possobe that day. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience.

Once more, thank you for your feedback. We hope that you'll come back to visit soon!

Reviewed July 28, 2011

Spent one night here with my husband, and 3 children (7,5, and 2). Our room had 2 full or queen beds and a queen sleeper sofa, which was perfect for our family size. Furnishings were somewhat dated, as there was obvious wear on our sofa bed. Sofa bed was VERY uncomfortable, as are most sofa beds, but our 2-year-old didn't mind. I had checked out the website before we went, and requested the package with a $50 restaurant coupon (they have 2 restaurants on site), and that took our room price from $129 to $139, which was, of course, worth it, when you use the restaurant voucher. We had been to this resort in the past and had eaten at Lakeside (their more upscale restaurant with a view of the lake) before, and we were less satisfied with our food this trip. The service was outstanding, however. I think the meals are overpriced here - mostly upward from $26 (not including salads, etc). This summer, kids under 10 eat free when ordering from the children's menu, so that was a plus. At 7 PM, the resort has marshmallow roasting outside near the pool, and the kids had a great time with that and watching the ducks! They have other outdoor activities to participate in with an outdoor sports company, also spa services and room service, but only on weekends. Was a nice stay for the evening.

Reviewed July 28, 2011

Here for a strategic planning retreat. The area is very conducive to calmly reviewing vision and mission. You can't get wound up while looking across the lake or at the campfire in the evening. The aviary is a wonderful education tool for all ages and the hiking trails are great for meditation. Also helps to be in the mountains when your hometown is 104 degrees!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Had a reunion there w/families we adopted children with from China. Eight couples total w/ their kids. Hotel and accommodations were very nice. Lots of trails to hike; boat/canoes to rent, golf etc. Nightly bon fire w/marshmallows gratis. The breakfast buffet was a bit pricey. There's really no where else to go for meals unless you hop in your car and drive a couple miles, so be ready to pay up. All in all, very nice place...lots of stuff to do for kids. There is a state park across the lake. I think a lot of folks from there crashed our pool Saturday night, but they bugged out after an hour. Would def go again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 17, 2011

This is the second time I have brought my 9 year old nephew here for a vacation and it does not disappoint. The Rocky Gap resort has a "beach" area, a place to rent canoes, nice, easy hiking trails and an Aviary. My nephew always has lots to keep him busy.
During the summer months. Rocky Gap offers "kids eat free" which is great for families on a budget. You have to constantly remind the wait staff of the offer (that was my experience) when you go to restaurant/breakfast buffet. I found that it is listed on the website but was not mentioned when I checked in with my nephew. Just a heads up on that.
Overall, a great place to stay. This will be a tradition for our family!

1  Thank borisycd
Reviewed July 10, 2011

I've stayed at nicer Hampton Inns. Don't waste your money. We booked a room, as my husband did triathlon here. We didn't come for a fancy, romantic weekend. Regardless, the lodge entrance has stained carpets throughout. Our room (KS bed, Lakeview) 6th floor was musty smelling and carpet felt damp. I put sandals back on and kept on. Carpet in room was wavy/ not flat near door entry. Overall, the lodge is weary and dingy looking. The room did not have a microwave or fridge. Had to pay extra to have them sent up from house keeping. There was coffee maker in room, no coffee or tea. in all I've stayed at much nicer hotels for less. We won't return.

2  Thank SciFiGirl007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Flintstone
Sleep Inn & Suites Cumberland
Ramada Cumberland Downtown
Ramada Cumberland Downtown
#3 of 4 in Cumberland
Fairfield Inn & Suites Cumberland
Best Western Braddock Inn
The Country Inn of Berkeley Springs
The Country Inn of Berkeley Spri...
#2 of 4 in Berkeley Springs
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#1 of 5 in LaVale

Been to Rocky Gap Casino Resort? Share your experiences!