“Great steamed crabs at a place thats been around for years” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #33 of 64 Restaurants in Essex
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups, Balti
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
West Lafayette, Indiana
“Great steamed crabs at a place thats been around for years”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2011

After having moved from the area more than 20 years ago, on a visit with family we went to Al's for steamed crabs and crab soup. We were not disappointed. The service was great and the food excellent. Their recipe for crab soup has been used for generations and it is the best. Its the place I will return to whenever I'm in town. And for those of you who have never eaten steamed crabs before, there is a diagram on the wall with step-by-step instructions.

• Visited June 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Baltimore Maryland
“A local seafood place I just recently checked out”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2011

Al's has been an Essex staple for many years, but this summer was actually the first time I've ever checked the place out. Very small, I've been here twice this summer and have never went during the dinner rush, but I'm sure it's a pain to get a table quickly and I don't know if they accept reservations. I got the steamed shrimp and crab cake, along with a bowl of cream of crab soup. The soup was outstanding, the steamed excellent and crab cake was ok (but I've have much much better cakes). I enjoyed the food very much, but my major pet peeve was that they charge per ice tea...1.25 per very small glass (also offer over priced pitchers), which honestly drops them a whole star in my book (from a 4 to 3 star review). To charge per glass for soda and tea in this day and age is just crazy. So now it's all ice water, or a beer or two. Other than that if your in the area and looking to get some good crab soup and shrimp I say check the place out.

• Visited July 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Terpsfan72

Been to Al's Seafood? Share your experiences!