Tripadvisor

Beautiful Shrine and tribute to to St. Elizabeth

Reviewed November 5, 2019
kghudson
Houston, Texas

All reviews elizabeth ann seton white house beautiful basilica civil war short movie beautiful place small museum national shrine amazing woman guided tour gift shop visitor center hallowed ground highly recommend a visit free admission attend mass maintained grounds
Selected filters
Reviewed December 29, 2019

I stopped here on a trip and was so very glad I did. It is a beautiful church, wonderful museum dedicated to the first American Saint, Elizabeth Seton. The museum catalogues the life of St Elizabeth, the founding of the Sister's of Charity and their wonderful work. The museum shows the incredible service the Daughters of Charity extended during the Civil War, especially the Battle of Gettysburg, which is only 6 miles away. The Yankee soldiers marched right by the convent. The Sister's heard the battle in progress and got into a wagon and drove to the battlefield to tend to the injured.

A great place to visit, and so much to learn.

Date of experience: December 2019
Helen J, Manager at National Shrine of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear TonyBur,

Thanks so much for taking time to provide a review. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit!

It's great you know some of the Civil War history that we have here. We have a Civil War Sisters Tour that takes place every summer on Saturdays that you might like, if you're in the area this summer. You'll hear details on what is was like for the sisters as the union soldiers camped on their property, and as they cared for the wounded after the Battle of Gettysburg was over.

Thank you for visiting. I'm glad you made the time to stop by.

Reviewed November 5, 2019

We stopped here on the way from Hershey PA to Arlington VA. It was well worth the stop to learn about the life a women who exhibited such love, mercy and kindness. To learn about her life and all the great works of corporal mercy she gave was inspiring and uplifting. The staff at the shrine were very helpful. We did the short movie then went thru the museum with artifacts, stories and history of St. Elizabeth's wonderful life. We then explored the Basilica where there was a docent there to answer any/all questions we had,. Stopped on the way out to visit the gift shop and purchased several items to remember St. Elizabeth and our visit. Did not have time to do a grounds visit and see the houses where she lived and taught, but would like to do next time. We spent almost 2 hours here and was well worth our time.

Date of experience: November 2019

Dear kghudson,

I'm sorry for the delay in responding to your review. It's good to hear that you enjoyed your visit. For a woman who lived in the late 1700s and early 1800s, Elizabeth Ann Seton accomplished tremendous things despite the obstacles she faced. We look forward to having you come back for a tour. Guided tours are offered during the winter on Saturdays and Sundays, and available daily April through November.

I'm glad you stopped for a visit! Thank you for making the time.

Reviewed November 4, 2019

Highly recommended. Will return. This was an extremely wonderful unexpected stop on a trip going the back routes to Chantilly VA via US 15. Make sure the see the movie about the life of Mother Seton. Beautiful Basilica and Shrine, well maintained grounds, highly organized, excellent museum chronicling Mother Seton's life thru sainthood. If you're planning the visit, allow time to attend mass and take the guided tour. Ample parking and free admission. A moving experience. Allow 3+ hours for the visit. Plan to see the cemetery as well.

Dear jkoft,

I'm sorry for the time it has taken for my to respond to your review, but I'm glad to hear how much you enjoyed your visit. It's great to hear you're planning on returning someday. If you come back in the summer, check our website for details on Living History Tours (Wednesdays and Sundays) and Civil War Tours on Saturdays. Or if it's in the fall, you might like the Back from the Dead Cemetery Walk, a faith drama that takes place the last two weekends of October.

Thank you for writing about your experience at our site. II'm grateful that you took the time to do so.

Reviewed October 24, 2019

We’ve been wanting to stop here for sometime and finally did. St. Elizabeth’s story is one of a wonderful woman. Here you can relive her life and see just why she was given Sainthood. Many relics and storyboards guide you through her life.

The Basillica is frankly an experience in itself. Beautifully done, and certainly worth the trip. And, it’s free to visit!

Date of experience: October 2019
Helen J, Manager at National Shrine of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Daddagreat,

I'm sorry for my late response to your review, but thank you for providing such a wonderful review! I'm so glad you made time to stop by and see the museum and Basilica. We think it probably surprises people to have such a grand place like the Basilica here in the rural area of Emmitsburg.

If you like history, this summer you might like to stop back for our living history tours on Wednesdays and Sundays, and our Civil War Sisters Tours on Saturdays.

Thank you for providing the review..I appreciate you taking the time to do so.

Reviewed October 13, 2019

This was an unexpected trip, and well worth the visit. There are several things to see there, The Basilica and Visitor Center, The Stone House, The White House, Seton Legacy Garden, and St Joseph's Cemetery. St Elizabeth Ann Seton is buried in the Basilica, even though her headstone is in St Joseph's Cemetery. There is a very nice Civil War Sisters Exhibit in the museum as well. Inside the Basilica there is the Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton Altar. This is where she is buried. Highly recommend a visit to the National Shrine of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton.

Dear TravelerELO,

I apologize for the length of time it's taken me to get back to you. Thank you so much for providing a review of our site. It sounds like you enjoyed your visit! Hopefully you got to take our Historic Homes Tour, which takes visitors inside each of the homes and through the cemetery. If not, please ask about it if you ever stop back. During winter months, it's available on Saturdays and Sundays, and April through November it's generally available daily.

Thanks for visiting; I'm glad you stopped by!