“I've heard the crabs are good but...”
Review of Rube's Crab Shack

Rube's Crab Shack
Ranked #6 of 14 Restaurants in Emmitsburg
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar, Pub
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: This place just opened about two or three weeks ago. There is also a Rube's restaurant with the same owners in Thurmont, MD.
Fairfield, Pennsylvania
“I've heard the crabs are good but...”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

So my husband and I live nearby and this place is always packed. We've only been here twice. The first time we did not really enjoy our experience but we decided to try it out again. When we arrived, there was nowhere to sit in the restaurant so we sat at the bar. The bartender was excellent - very friendly and came back to us multiple times to ask us if we needed anything else.

I wasn't super hungry so I didn't want to get the AYCE crabs. I settled for a grilled chicken sandwich. It was so bland. The chicken didn't have any seasoning on it and it was so flat. And it came on two pieces of toast. My husband got the soft shell crab sandwich and loved it. I've heard their crabs are excellent so maybe this is the place you go just for crabs, and not for the other entrees.

The décor is a mixture between country and nautical...it's a little strange. The tables are nothing special but everything looked clean. They have a really nice bar. My only other complaint is that I asked for a glass of Moscato wine which was listed on their menu, and after looking for 15 minutes, the bartender said they didn't have any. My feeling is, if it's going to be on your bar menu, you better make sure you always have plenty of it. Beer prices are very reasonable. My husband had 2 Coors Light for around $5.

So next time we visit here, I'll know to come hungry and get the crabs.

• Visited September 2013

Frederick
“Go for the Crabs”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Its all about the crabs. If you want a salad, burger or ambiance or a dinner menu go elsewhere. The Crabs are fresh, not re-steamed. They cook them in batches so yes you wait but the crab meat is sweet and hot. Haters gonna hate but Crab lovers are going to come back again and again... Like me. I'm a Tennessee boy who's lived here for 14 years. Rubes has turned me into a Marylander. Ill be there Friday.

Westminster, Maryland
“A good suggestion”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Someone that my husband works with suggested that we take the drive from Westminster to Emmittsburg to visit Rube's. Not sure if we wanted to go that far, since we knew that drinks would be involved, we called a few spots to price out our options. A carry out in Westminster had medium crabs for $65 a dozen; a restaurant in Westminster had medium crabs (eat in or carry out) for $72 a dozen, no specials. And a restaurant in Manchester had an AYCE special with medium crabs for 'about' $45 a person, but the kid who answered the phone was so pissed off at the world that it was hard to tell what came with that special.

So we called Rube's. Dawn answered and was just as nice as can be but more importantly, she let me know right off the bat that only mediums were there today and did I hear about the AYCE specials? A DEAL at $36 a person: crabs, steamed shrimp, fried shrimp, salad bar, soup bar, french fries and hush puppies. Wow. We decided right there that it was worth the ride, especially since the recommender told us that the crabs were delicious.

So off we went. We found Rube's just outside of Emmitsburg (right at the light if you are coming from Westminster) and at 2 p.m. we were between the crowds. Turned out that Dawn was our waitress as well. Very friendly and quick with the service. We ordered a couple of beers and the AYCE specials.

The salad bar is small, but well stocked. Really, nothing was lacking, inclusive of low calorie dressing. The Maryland Crab soup was very good (just spicy enough) but my husband felt that the Chicken and Rice soup was somewhat bland. Nothing that salt and pepper did not fix.

I was still eating my salad when Dawn reappeared with a tray loaded down with everything else. There were about a dozen crabs, crab legs (my husband went for the Gucci version of the AYCE at a few dollars more) and side dishes of the shrimp, fries and pups.

The crabs were, as promised, very good! Meaty, seasoned well, hot. The steamed shrimp was also very good with only a few that seemed to be a little overdone. Loving bar food the way that I do, I was happy to have nice, hot and (very important) crispy french fries. Ketchup and all condiments were already on table.

I loved the fried shrimp - it tasted like it was coconut battered but I can't swear to it. And my husband had never had a hush puppy so I explained that it was only fried dough. One bite and the look on his face told me that I was wrong - there was more here. I took a bite and was surprised to taste the old bay and some other seasonings.

All thru our meal, Dawn was back with beer and to check on us. And while this was an AYCE, we found that we were full after the first round - yes, I'm sure that it part of the plan with adding the fries, etc., to the meal but I don't care.

I truly felt like I had gotten a deal here, and that's what matters.

3 Thank J E
“Excellent crabs for ayce.”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Best crabs I've ever had when ordering ayce. Crabs were large,heavy,hot and perfectly seasoned. Waitress was helpful and friendly. She kept our glasses full and checked with us frequently to see how we were doing and to clean off our table. I was hesitant to go on a Sunday as several other places we called were out of crabs and I hoped Rubes was not just getting rid of trash crabs following a holiday weekend. But the waitress informed me the owner was very picky,even about the ayce, and refused to serve small,empty,or watery crabs. WOW..I didn't think there were any businesses left that still cared that much about what they serve and not just about their bottom line. Keep it up Rubes and u have a customer for life!

2 Thank sra1a8
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
“only go for all you can eat do not go for the dinner menu”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

my family and I went to rubes last night and was very disappointed If you are going for all you can EAT CRABS it might be worth the trip , but would not go back to order off the menu. the crabs by the dozen are very expensive. I ordered the fisherman basket and was told 20 minutes later they we sold out of it, I ended up getting seafood platter. My wife and kids got the crab cake platter. the crab cakes were very dry and flat on all our platters what a rib off and not worth the price as in a previous review I was charged extra for broiled seafood platter but didn't notice it until we got home the server seemed to be more focused on talking to her friends then servicing the customer.
WE WILL NEVER GO BACK. WE WILL CONTINUE TO GO TO GARY AND DELLS instead, AT GARY AND DELLS YOU get the all you can eatT soup AND SALAD BAR INCLUDED IN THE DINNER PRICE UNLIKE RUBES WHERE YOU HAVE TO PAY EXTRA FOR IT PLUS .

• Visited June 2013