“Going...Going...Gone”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed November 24, 2013

I visit Chubby's on each Remembrance Day holiday from Gettysburg. This time something seemed different. Nobody else was in the restaurant...the hours had changed to closing at 8pm...the lighted sign on Route 15 was off...and I took a chance anyway, only this time bringing my wife. We were the only ones in the place and a biker chick waitress with face piercings waited on us. My Yuengling seemed flat. There at the bar sat the owner himself on the phone, loud. He was talking, right in our midst, to a sales broker to sell Chubby's! (while watching some anti Obama web site on his laptop). And, to top it off, he was ordering veal from another restaurant! The food was terrible and the next day, intestinal colon damage was done while sitting in the cold in Gettysburg. Chubbys: RIP. You actually deserve this death and have earned it.

4  Thank Kimo688889

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Start with the water. They aren't allowed to give you tap water because it's welled water. The alternative is to charge you 2.50 for a bottle of spring water. Now the food: it is very average. The BBQ is very overpriced. The potato salad is really pretty bad. If you get cornbread you pay $1.50 for a 2inch by 2 inch piece. Are you serious? The baked beans were overlooked. Chubby sure didn't get chubby eating here.

1  Thank eaglesclaw121
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Hamburger charred. Had to ask for utensils, refill on tea, pepper, BBQ sauce, lettuce and tomato. Got indigestion from service. BBQ ok at best. Waitress picking her teeth in mirror- bad experience!

2  Thank Americanpieprrson
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

The brisket was melt in your mouth good. The 5 different sauces were great. Its just a plain old good bbq shack atmosphere. They have beer and rootbeer on tap. I enjoyed my meal a lot and will go back.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stopped here the first time in early July based on the recommendation of our Gettysburg guide who told us not to judge it by its appearance. We again visited in late August when we happened to be in the area. Honestly, we drove an hour to visit it the second time to see if the food was as good on a repeat visit.

As noted in other reviews the building is outdated both inside and out. Inside decor is probably unchanged for the last 50 years.

Both times we were here we enjoyed it. The brisket will melt in your mouth. The ribs are very good even without any barbecue sauce, and if you want sauce they have many different options available to try. I had the cornbread and the absolutely world's best baked beans on both of my visits, wishing I could have taken some of those home. My son thought that the pork belly was, of course, like eating melt-in-your-mouth bacon.

If you want Chubby's version of various kinds of meat then give this a try. Some say "it's not barbecue," but the word barbecue means different things depending on what part of the country you're in. I'm open to trying new foods and I'm glad that our guide sent us here and that we returned for a repeat visit as well.