“Great brisket and ribs!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Chubby's Barbeque
Ranked #5 of 14 Restaurants in Emmitsburg
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Michigan
“Great brisket and ribs!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stopped here the first time in early July based on the recommendation of our Gettysburg guide who told us not to judge it by its appearance. We again visited in late August when we happened to be in the area. Honestly, we drove an hour to visit it the second time to see if the food was as good on a repeat visit.

As noted in other reviews the building is outdated both inside and out. Inside decor is probably unchanged for the last 50 years.

Both times we were here we enjoyed it. The brisket will melt in your mouth. The ribs are very good even without any barbecue sauce, and if you want sauce they have many different options available to try. I had the cornbread and the absolutely world's best baked beans on both of my visits, wishing I could have taken some of those home. My son thought that the pork belly was, of course, like eating melt-in-your-mouth bacon.

If you want Chubby's version of various kinds of meat then give this a try. Some say "it's not barbecue," but the word barbecue means different things depending on what part of the country you're in. I'm open to trying new foods and I'm glad that our guide sent us here and that we returned for a repeat visit as well.

• Visited July 2013

“This isn't BBQ”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

I just had lunch at Chubby's. I ordered the brisket platter. When I saw the juice all over the plate, I was confused because BBQ brisket is not supposed to be au jus. It tasted like cafeteria food, not BBQ. The other people in my party got the pit beef, ordered medium rare, got well done, again, tasted like cafeteria roast beef. The fries and slaw were ok and the waitress was very pleasant, but the food is not barbecue. There was not even the smell of BBQ inside or outside the restaurant. We should have known from that. Skip this place. If you are driving by and very hungry, you are better off going to a fast food drive in. It was very expensive, too.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Cathy H
Staten Island, New York
“a little old but great food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

We have passed this place many times bringing our daughter to and from Mt st Mary's university and just ate there for the first time. Great barbaque food. Although the decorum is quite outdated pink vinyl booths wagon wheel lights no bells and whistles but the food was delicious. I had 1/2 rack of baby back ribs came with 2 sides I had fries they were def homemade. And Mac and cheese. Wonderful my husband had brisket and ribs combine with homemade Cole slaw's and potato salad neither of us could finish our meal...kids. portions were large and much enjoyed. A little no frills place with great eats......

• Visited August 2013
Roseville, California
“Not my favorite”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

The barbequed corned beef gave me indigestion. The side dishes were pretty good, but I don't think I'll return on future visits to Emmitsburg

• Visited August 2013
New York City, New York
“Great BBQ in the middle of No Where”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

I've been to Chubby's 3 times. First time was mind blowing. Other two, a bit less so, but overall the food really is good. Great ribs. Great pulled pork. Jars of Beer. Nothing fancy, but worth the extra few miles if you are heading to/from Baltimore or Washington...or anywhere.

• Visited September 2012