Residence Inn by Marriott Columbia
Turf Valley Resort(Ellicott City)(Great Value!)
$131
$127
Hotels.com
The Wayside Inn(Ellicott City)
$159
$209
Quality Inn(Catonsville)
$76
$99
DoubleTree by Hilton Columbia(Columbia)(Great Value!)
$137
Hilton Garden Inn Columbia(Columbia)(Great Value!)
$179
GardenInn.com
All reviewsbob evanschick filfront desklight sleeperfold out couchhighway sideyogurtminute drivecoffee tableyour luggagebreakfast buffet ishome away from homehousekeeping staffnice roomliving roomexercise roommake your own waffles
Reviewed February 12, 2014

We have small grandchildren who live with us, so my wife and I decided to have a weekend to ourselves. We chose the Residence Inn because it was close to home since we had to be back early Sunday morning. The front desk staff were very pleasant and engaged. We used points, and we were given a small suite with a fireplace. The room seemed well-kept - not particularly opulent, but very nice. The room was small, but for 2 people, the separate bedroom is a nice touch. There was even popcorn in the room to make in the microwave. The breakfast buffet was a nice touch since the Courtyards have replaced it with a pay-as-you go Starbucks. In the Residence Inn, there were pastries, eggs, sausage, yogurt, waffles and other choices. It was fresh, and coffee was available all day and night.

The only complaint I have is what others have also written about. Our room was on the highway side, and it was very noisy. The walls must not have much insulation as we could hear every car and truck pass, and it did interrupt our sleep. I would recommend and stay here again, but only if I have a room that does not face the highway.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that does not face the highway.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Stayed there twice on business trips. Generally the hotel is fine, the rooms are spacious and well-equipped, the breakfast buffet is fine too (though not really caters to European tastes). However the big minus is that the Hotel is next to the highway and many rooms directly face the highway and have constant road noise. Other may not mind, but I could sleep only with ear plugs. So I'd stay there again, but only if I get confirmation in advance that my room faces away from the highway.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces away from the highway.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Robert P
Joel S, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Columbia, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Hi Robert,

I hope that all is well, we certainly try to do our best to meet all of our guests needs. We are always trying to innovate our breakfast offerings, and certainly will pass your feedback along. If you are in fact going to be back in the area please reach out to me so that I can better assist you in regards to room blocking.

Best regards,

Joel Shasteen
Operations Manager
Joel.Shasteen@Marriott.com

Reviewed February 6, 2014

We booked the Residence because we couldn't get the Courtyard which is slightly closer to I95. We were happy we made this choice.
With the room being a mini suite, I had to ability to do some computer work, or read, or watch TV without disturbing my spouse. If you needed to cook, you could as there is a 2 burner cooktop, full size fridge, large microwave. However, we were surprised to be told there was complimentary dining that night and I think, every week night. This night it was spaghetti and meatballs. I expected canned food, but instead it was a buffet of freshly made pasta, meatballs, and sauce; and all were very good! They also had a mini salad bar with again fresh produce. Coffee always on. A welcome feast after a long journey on the road. Breakfast was also excellent with everything available, eggs, bacon, sausage, cereals, oatmeal, pastries, breads, etc. All for the price of the room!
The evening and daytime front desk staff was also excellent; very cheerful, helpful, and accommodating. Even the preparers of the wonderful food were a delight. Hint: As with other reviewers, ask for a room opposite the highway. The traffic is right outside your window and can be a little noisy at times. Also, you can take Rte 29 to get back on I95. It is a major road with traffic lights, but a bit nicer of a drive. Ask the front desk for their opinion and guidance.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the highway.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Stayed here several weeks on business, and found it very average. It felt to me kind of like a cheap apartment. We stayed in a couple of different rooms during the month. The first room we stayed in, the sliding mirrored doors of the closet were off the track, and couldn't get them back on the track, so the closet doors just had to sit open. The door to the small utility space had no doorknob, which wasn't a big deal, but just added to the "cheap apartment" feel. Furniture in the first room seemed ok. Furniture in the second room felt and looked rather old and worn. Some stains on carpet, some stains on bedding (looked like fingernail polish.) Nice modern flatscreen television. Desk/workspace in first room was nice. In the second room, it was small and oddly placed directly next to the entry door.

Cleanliness: Not up to my standards. Stray "personal" hairs (you know the ones I mean) found in the bathroom and shower on arrival means it wasn't cleaned properly in my books. Some weird and disturbing "dirt" (I hope) on the back of the bathroom door that was never cleaned. I assume the cleaning staff doesn't think to look behind the door while cleaning in the bathroom, but they should. I was too grossed out to clean it myself, so always just tried to avoid it and not think about it, which is difficult because the toilet is about 2 inches away from the door.

Bed: Bed in the first room was ok. Bed in the second room was drastically sagging and made for poor sleep. I was tempted to flip the mattress myself, but discovered it was a "pillow top" with just about the thinnest "pillow top" I've ever seen. So the mattress wasn't really designed to be flipped. Thought I would flip it anyway, but didn't in the end.

Food: I never had the breakfast. They served dinner 3 nights a week, Monday - Wednesday, and it was always cheap quality. The "Thanksgiving turkey" they served was literally luncheon meat put in some sort of cheap gravy. The "Christmas turkey" was a little better. Not luncheon meat that time. Dinner is just a single option. One night is soup and sandwich night, so there was just one choice of soup, and one choice of sandwich. Salad was usually served with dinner and it varied. Always the same lettuce, but some nights there would be toppings like carrots, onions, cucumbers, cheese, and croutons. Some nights it was carrots only. Or croutons and cheese only. Drink options were usually cans of soda in a couple of varieties. Brownies were good.

Staff: All of the staff I encountered were really very nice, friendly, helpful, and accommodating. No complaints about the staff.

Kitchen: The kitchen included in the unit had a full sized refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher, small cooktop, and toaster. The utensils were minimal, and the bowls were tiny. Trying to eat cereal or soup out of them was a challenge as they only held a tiny portion. The bowl was literally the same size as the small coffee mug. I took a coffee mug of water and poured it in the bowl to measure it, and they held exactly the same amount.

Not all rooms are equal. If you are staying here, especially for an extended time, you may want to ask to see the options before you choose.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Joel S, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Columbia, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2014

Dear Bluemoonsymphony,

Thank you for giving us some feedback about your stay. I wish that you have reached out to us while on property so we could have addressed some of your concerns while you were still here. If you are planning to travel to the area any time soon, I would appreciate if you would reach out to me directly, in order to better serve your needs.

Best regards,

Joel Shasteen
Operations Manager
(410)997-7200 x 609
joel.shasteen@marriott.com

Reviewed December 29, 2013

We had one night at this hotel on our journey. The lobby is clean and the front desk was well-staffed. We love Residence Inn, but this was not the best we have seen. The 2-bedroom unit was smaller than we have had before. The room was not as clean as we expected, either. Sticky surfaces. The pool was great -complete with attentive lifeguard. Hot tub was too hot for me. We appreciated the workout equipment, as well. We will have to return when the outdoor fire pit is working! Breakfast was excellent, but there was nowhere to sit.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family