“Request the 5th Floor!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ellicott City
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Request the 5th Floor!”
Reviewed August 6, 2007

I recently stayed at the Turf Valley for two nights. When we checked in we were given a room on the 3rd floor. It was an OK room, very small, but clean. The "hallway" had a drop ceiling that was a little stained with water marks. The bathroom had one very dim light and the shower area was dark. The room had only one double bed, which was a real disappointment. There was no fridge. But compared to what I read about the resort, I figured it wasn't too bad, even though very expensive for the discounted rate I'd been given.

Later that day when more family arrived to check in, they were given rooms on the 5th floor. What a difference!!! The 5th and 6th floors have recently been remodeled and it's like stepping into a different hotel! The decor is much more modern and the rooms were three times bigger than what I was in on the 3rd floor, maybe even larger. They called them Junior Suites and they featured a king bed with lots of new linens and downy pillows, a chair and ottoman, and a loveseat that folded out into a double bed and a microwave and fridge hidden in the cabinets that were along the windows. We asked for an upgrade and were given one to the 5th floor and our room was similar to the others but we had the addition of a wet bar, fridge and mircowave. We also had two sliding doors to a narrow balcony overlooking the pool. Each style of room also featured a walk in closet, an enormous bathroom with a shower (no tub) and...complimentary Wi Fi internet that you viewed on a huge plasma TV! We were much happier with the new room as was the rest of our group that was either placed on the 5th floor automatically or upgraded.

We ate at the Tavern on the Green restaurant and bar and found the food pricing to be very reasonable for the type of resort we were in. Even the alcohol was priced better than we were expecting.

Turf Valley would be a nice place to stay if you were planning to use their golf course, meeting rooms, banquets or spas. I wouldn't return to use it as a hotel in the Baltimore area as I think there are better values elsewhere. But I was very impressed with the staff at the front desk during the upgrades of the rooms.

Stayed August 2007
4 Thank PixieDustedDisneyFan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
San Diego
Reviewed May 6, 2007

I was here for a two day business trip. My room was in the older wing and the sheets were like gauze and had holes in them. When I complained to the front desk and asked for better sheets, they sent someone up who handed me the new sheets. I guess I was supposed to put them on myself... If I hadn't been on a conference call at the time I would have complained about this, but perhaps it was for the best as I had to double up on the sheets as well as put one on top of the gross bedspread to make the room habitable. A coworker was in the newer wing which looked nice, though. What I don't understand is how they could not afford at least new sheets for the older wing - you would think once you had complained they would bring up better sheets. I have never been to a hotel with different sheet categories. The food at Alexandra's was OK, but the hotel in general was lackluster and definitly not worth the $$ if you have a choice where to stay.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — the rooms
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank sdtraveller42
phila, pa
Reviewed April 15, 2007

BEWARE...... Things to look out for at Turf Valley........
1. Being charged for items already paid for in a package and having to debate with hotel manager for refund.
2. Seafood and a mayo based sauce sitting out for 120 minutes uncovered and having to debate safety/health issues with manager.
3. Linens of poor quality and not fitting and having to deabte with housekeeping about yourself not wanting to change the bed linens.
4. Hair in shower and on bathroom floor.
Is this info hearsay??? No, I just lived the moment last weekend.
I will not visit Turf Valley again.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Too many issues with service
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lovetotravelphila
Maryland
Reviewed April 10, 2007

My husband and I stayed at one of the newly renovated junior suites. It was BEAUTIFUL. These new rooms rival the luxury hotels like the Ritz and Four Seasons. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. The check-in was a breeze. The food at the Alexandra's restaurant on the property was amazing! The menu is eclectic, innovative, and delicious! You have to try it with the wine pairings.

Stayed April 2007
3 Thank shenj1001
Atlanta, Ga.
Reviewed November 7, 2006

Stay her!! You will love this place. Great staff with clean rooms and great ammenities. I will never stay anywhere else around Baltimore again. Great service.

snewman2000@comcast.net

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — No Complaints
  • Tips/Secrets — stay here and drive to inner harbour it that is your interest. You will be much happier!!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank unhappyinga
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 22, 2006

A business trip took me to Turf Valley and, while I was certainly comfortable, I probably wouldn't choose to return on my own dime. While my room was clean and comfortable and had a nice view out over the golf course, if I'd been there for a romantic getaway with my wife, I would have been disappointed. I found the facility lacking the touches (great food, high-end furniture, luxurious bedding, and so forth) that might contribute to a great weekend escape. Absolutely fine for me flying solo on business, but not enough to draw me back.

• Stayed March 2004, traveled on business
3 Thank awelch2000
California
Reviewed August 18, 2006

My husband and I recently stayed at Turf Valley Resort and Conference Center and completely enjoyed ourselves. Coming in from out of town, the shuttle to the resort from the airport was timely and efficient. Our first evening there, the restaurant, Alexandra's I believe it was called, where we dined had excellent food and a very relaxing environment. We honestly had no problems with checking in or anything wrong with the rooms...they actually looked brand new (perhaps they have been remodeled). But when we originally read the reviews from this site, we were skeptical, which is why I thought it would be a good idea to compose my own review after our stay to enlighten those that are skeptical as we were. Since we both had come to relax and attend our high school reunion which was held here, I thought we'd give the hotel a try for convenience sake. It was well worth it in every aspect of our trip.

• Liked — It was such a beautiful place!
  • Disliked — That I couldn't afford to stay for the rest of the week!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
Four Seasons Baltimore
Four Seasons Baltimore
#3 of 66 in Baltimore
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,335 reviews

Been to Turf Valley Resort? Share your experiences!