“Sheets were awful”

GreenLeadersBronze level
San Diego
“Sheets were awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2007

I was here for a two day business trip. My room was in the older wing and the sheets were like gauze and had holes in them. When I complained to the front desk and asked for better sheets, they sent someone up who handed me the new sheets. I guess I was supposed to put them on myself... If I hadn't been on a conference call at the time I would have complained about this, but perhaps it was for the best as I had to double up on the sheets as well as put one on top of the gross bedspread to make the room habitable. A coworker was in the newer wing which looked nice, though. What I don't understand is how they could not afford at least new sheets for the older wing - you would think once you had complained they would bring up better sheets. I have never been to a hotel with different sheet categories. The food at Alexandra's was OK, but the hotel in general was lackluster and definitly not worth the $$ if you have a choice where to stay.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — the rooms
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
2 Thank sdtraveller42

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
phila, pa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2007

BEWARE...... Things to look out for at Turf Valley........
1. Being charged for items already paid for in a package and having to debate with hotel manager for refund.
2. Seafood and a mayo based sauce sitting out for 120 minutes uncovered and having to debate safety/health issues with manager.
3. Linens of poor quality and not fitting and having to deabte with housekeeping about yourself not wanting to change the bed linens.
4. Hair in shower and on bathroom floor.
Is this info hearsay??? No, I just lived the moment last weekend.
I will not visit Turf Valley again.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Too many issues with service
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lovetotravelphila
Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2007

My husband and I stayed at one of the newly renovated junior suites. It was BEAUTIFUL. These new rooms rival the luxury hotels like the Ritz and Four Seasons. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. The check-in was a breeze. The food at the Alexandra's restaurant on the property was amazing! The menu is eclectic, innovative, and delicious! You have to try it with the wine pairings.

Stayed April 2007
3 Thank shenj1001
Atlanta, Ga.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2006

Stay her!! You will love this place. Great staff with clean rooms and great ammenities. I will never stay anywhere else around Baltimore again. Great service.

snewman2000@comcast.net

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — No Complaints
  • Tips/Secrets — stay here and drive to inner harbour it that is your interest. You will be much happier!!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank unhappyinga
Newton, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2006

A business trip took me to Turf Valley and, while I was certainly comfortable, I probably wouldn't choose to return on my own dime. While my room was clean and comfortable and had a nice view out over the golf course, if I'd been there for a romantic getaway with my wife, I would have been disappointed. I found the facility lacking the touches (great food, high-end furniture, luxurious bedding, and so forth) that might contribute to a great weekend escape. Absolutely fine for me flying solo on business, but not enough to draw me back.

• Stayed March 2004, traveled on business
3 Thank awelch2000
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2006

My husband and I recently stayed at Turf Valley Resort and Conference Center and completely enjoyed ourselves. Coming in from out of town, the shuttle to the resort from the airport was timely and efficient. Our first evening there, the restaurant, Alexandra's I believe it was called, where we dined had excellent food and a very relaxing environment. We honestly had no problems with checking in or anything wrong with the rooms...they actually looked brand new (perhaps they have been remodeled). But when we originally read the reviews from this site, we were skeptical, which is why I thought it would be a good idea to compose my own review after our stay to enlighten those that are skeptical as we were. Since we both had come to relax and attend our high school reunion which was held here, I thought we'd give the hotel a try for convenience sake. It was well worth it in every aspect of our trip.

• Liked — It was such a beautiful place!
  • Disliked — That I couldn't afford to stay for the rest of the week!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PRprincessa
Elkridge, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2006

My girlfriend and I spent June 24-25 here for a Girlfriends Getaway. Check in was terrible. We were quoted one rate on the phone and then the woman at the desk during checkin tried charging us about $27 more per person. Then she said she would upgrade us to a king suite because she ran out of the deluxe room we had made reservations for (over a month in advance). Well, that would have been fine if the king room had more than one bed. She said there was a pull out sofa and one of us could sleep on it. Well, for $350 a night per person we were not sleeping on an uncomfortable sleeper sofa. All of a sudden she "found" a deluxe room. Go figure. After about 20 minutes of arguing and almost leaving we finally got the issues resolved. Though when I requested to speak with a manager I was told that she (the woman I was talking to) was the supervisor and no one else could help me. I found that hard to believe.
There were no movie channels, no pay per view movies, nothing to do other than our spa treatments and sit at the bar in drink (which is fine for a little bit but not for 2 days!). Then on Sunday we ordered room service for breakfast and got pancakes and french toast. They sent up only 1 syrup for both meals. We had to call down to the restaurant and have more sent up to us but by the time they finally got up there my food was cold.
There were black hairs stuck to the shower wall, which grossed us out. And the shower drain didn't drain so we showered ankle deep in water. Yuck.
I was totally disappointed in this "resort". For the price I expected to much more.

The spa, however, was wonderful. The food at Alexandra's restaurant was fabulous. If you do go to the spa ask for Theresa...she's awesome!!!

Stayed June 2006
Four Seasons Baltimore
Four Seasons Baltimore
#3 of 66 in Baltimore
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,301 reviews

Been to Turf Valley Resort? Share your experiences!