“Loved the spa but the resort staff left much to be desired.”
Review of Turf Valley Resort

Turf Valley Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ellicott City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Elkridge, Maryland
“Loved the spa but the resort staff left much to be desired.”
Reviewed June 26, 2006

My girlfriend and I spent June 24-25 here for a Girlfriends Getaway. Check in was terrible. We were quoted one rate on the phone and then the woman at the desk during checkin tried charging us about $27 more per person. Then she said she would upgrade us to a king suite because she ran out of the deluxe room we had made reservations for (over a month in advance). Well, that would have been fine if the king room had more than one bed. She said there was a pull out sofa and one of us could sleep on it. Well, for $350 a night per person we were not sleeping on an uncomfortable sleeper sofa. All of a sudden she "found" a deluxe room. Go figure. After about 20 minutes of arguing and almost leaving we finally got the issues resolved. Though when I requested to speak with a manager I was told that she (the woman I was talking to) was the supervisor and no one else could help me. I found that hard to believe.
There were no movie channels, no pay per view movies, nothing to do other than our spa treatments and sit at the bar in drink (which is fine for a little bit but not for 2 days!). Then on Sunday we ordered room service for breakfast and got pancakes and french toast. They sent up only 1 syrup for both meals. We had to call down to the restaurant and have more sent up to us but by the time they finally got up there my food was cold.
There were black hairs stuck to the shower wall, which grossed us out. And the shower drain didn't drain so we showered ankle deep in water. Yuck.
I was totally disappointed in this "resort". For the price I expected to much more.

The spa, however, was wonderful. The food at Alexandra's restaurant was fabulous. If you do go to the spa ask for Theresa...she's awesome!!!

Stayed June 2006
6 Thank brandonsmommy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Newark, DE
Reviewed June 13, 2006

June 8-11 stay for family function. Banquet staff excellent. Bedding poor. Linen like gauze in need of replacement. Pillows inadequate foam. Undergoing construction so step carefully. All in family had the same poor comments regarding beds and pillows. Sorry Turf Valley, never again.

• Stayed June 2006
5 Thank newarktraveler
Taylors, South Carolina
Reviewed June 6, 2006

We stayed at Turf Valley June 2-4 to attend a wedding.

Here is my opinion of the resort---

The corridor with our room had the air conditioner out of order. It was very warm and humid.

My basic complaint was with the air conditioner in our room. I felt that it never worked well the whole time that we were there. The lowest we could set it was 69 degrees. However, the temperature never even came close to being that low. We were able to verify that with a thermometer that we had with us. I asked the desk about moving rooms and we were told that nothing else was available.

There was no way that we could have slept on the bed closest to the air conditioner. If the air conditioner did come on, it blew strongly on the right side of the bed and was quite loud.

The second night I had to get up three times to press the button on the thermostat so that the air conditioner would come back on for a short while. When it did work, it would go for a while, turn off for less than a minute and then come back on again.

I know that you can not control the guests, but both nights we were awakened at 12:30 with laughter and loud talking in the hallways.

My sister was upgraded to a suite. We were surprised that the duvet in on her bed didn't even have a cover on it. It is much easier to wash a duvet cover than to try to keep a duvet clean. Both of us are reluctant to have blankets or bed covers up near our chins because of the infrequent cleaning.

We were also surprised that the rooms don't have safes. I put a Do Not Disturb sign on my door because I didn't feel comfortable with leaving valuables in the room during the day while we were gone.

The outside seemed to be well-kept and it was very convenient to most for us. However, for the price I was very displeased because of power outages, telephones not working and the air conditioning problems we had.

• Stayed June 2006
6 Thank Maelrarny
randallstown m.d.
Reviewed September 23, 2005

Me and my husband went to Turf valley for our first Honeymoon. We got the Spa Jacuzzi romance package. It was wonderful . The room was nice overlooking the golf course. The breakfast in bed was the best French toast I have ever eaten and the service was good. I have no complaints.

• Stayed August 2005
2 Thank Desiree W
Florida
Reviewed September 18, 2005

After reading the previous reviews, I really hesitated reserving rooms there this past weekend.
Room - basic but satisfactory - we had a nice view of the golf course - I think we were in the new wing
Staff - fine
Hotel - didn't use any of the amenities - but walked the golf course - it was very pretty, spa was completely booked, free internet access in the lobby, dinner in the bar was surprisingly good -

There were at least 3 weddings going on - and we didn't have any noise issues at all.

For the price ($200/night) - we really had no complaints.

It was a short drive into the historic part of Ellicott City and 20 minutes to Inner Harbor.

• Stayed September 2005
5 Thank Mikki162
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed September 17, 2005

We were concerned about staying at Turf valley after reading the negative reviews. We were pleasantly surprised with the nice rooms, hotel lobby, good food at the restaurant and the pretty grounds. We were in the new wing which has large rooms with a separate sink and mirror in the bedroom which helped with three girls getting ready at the same time. In the evening we hiked the path around the golf course (after the golfers were finished playing). The staff were very friendly and helpful. I recommend you ask for a room in the "new wing"-it had a small balcony overlooking the golf course and fountain. Free internet service with printer in the lobby was very convenient.

• Stayed September 2005
3 Thank smgapp
Charleston, West Virginia
Reviewed August 8, 2005

Family of five stayed two nights in May, 2005, for a wedding. The room was ok, but small for a junior suite. No room for the rollaway once the sofa bed was made up. Also, so noisy! I could hear the people in the hallway, in the parking lot, in the next room. The toilet flushing in the next room sounded like it was right next to me. Don't think I'd stay here again.

• Stayed May 2005
DoubleTree by Hilton Columbia
Sonesta ES Suites Columbia
Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Columbia / South

Been to Turf Valley Resort? Share your experiences!