“I don't agree”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ellicott City
GreenLeadersBronze level
“I don't agree”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2004

I have stayed at this resort numerous times and find it to be very pleasurable. The staff is very friendly and helpful and the food is delicious

• Stayed November 2004, traveled on business
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Vancouver, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2004

I read the first review on here and thought "how bad could it be? this person must just be picky".... However, after staying there for a conference in July of 2004, I would have to say I will never stay here again if it's up to me. We had been staying in another part of town for a few days before our conference and we stopped in the day before to scope it out. The grounds were beautiful and it looked very nice. We went inside to find out what time our room would be ready the next day for check in. They said "MAYBE by 4 pm at the earliest." They said no one was staying in our room that night but that it hadn't been cleaned yet. When we showed up the next day at 4:00 pm, they still hadn't cleaned the room (I was about ready to volunteer to go in & clean it myself, just so we could have a place to flop down for a few minutes). We had a conference to be at at 6:00 pm and we couldn't even put our luggage anywhere or freshen up. Finally after pitching several fits, they got our room tidied up and we got in around 5:30 pm. After complaining about the poor service & asking for something for all the inconvenience, they reluctantly gave us a certificate good for 2 dinners at their restaurant (although there were 3 of us). We were not the only ones who were roomless. Several other couples going to the conference couldn't get rooms til late that evening as well.

When we got to our room, it was decent, but the bathroom area was very small. There were double beds instead of queens. There were 3 of us sharing a room and there was one mirror & one sink in a very tiny area with the clothing rack behind it, so there was only room for one person at a time. I went to use the ice machine down the hall & it was broken. For several days I had to climb the stairs up a few levels to find an ice machine that worked (because the elevators were SO slow). When I finally found one that worked, the next day IT was broken too. Another couple in our party said that an ice machine or something had flooded & there was water seeping into their room & they had to get all their luggage up off the floor & move things away from the wall.

Once the conference started and we were sitting in our various training sessions we discovered that the conference rooms were like an icebox. It was SO cold in every room we could hardly concentrate--our teeth were chattering so much. Many people complained but nothing ever seemed to be done. Finally someone opened one of the emergency exit doors & set off the alarm (I think it was to let some heat in from outside & also to get someone from maintenance to finally respond--since nothing else seemed to work).

Some of the staff were friendly some of the time if you caught them in a good mood. Our friends' room had air conditioning for the first day & then it stopped working. They were not given any kind of a discount & they had to pay $15 a day to have a mini-fridge in their room. The walls at the resort were also very thin. I'm glad I brought ear plugs because the people in the room next to us were always night owls (not a place to go if you are looking for quiet or relaxation). I was also afraid that our room wasn't secure. In the late afternoon when the cleaning crew finally showed up to straighten our room, they would prop the room doors open & then disappear down the hallway. One time we came back to our room & found the door propped open & the maid in another room. We just wandered in and no one even asked us if it was our room. The food there was alright, but stay away from the dinner rolls--unless of course you're a hockey fan, then you might enjoy them because they're like pucks.

I'm not one to complain about hotels or resorts... I usually look for the best deal & try to save a few bucks... but this place seemed to be one catastrophe after another. I kept hearing people complaining at the front desk--whether it was about something broken in their room, or trying to find out which room their luggage had been mistakenly delivered to... it was always something. I would not recommend this place.

9 Thank BeckyandChrisR
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2004

This place is a royale DUMP! This place makes Holiday Inn look like The Ritz. Rooms are small and have a circa 1973 decore. Yikes! The food is a big "Why Bother" ...all and all the place just has the overall charm of a motor lodge. The only plus is the golf course is nice and the staff is friendly at times. The place has potential thou, major need for new management. In short, avoid this place at all cost, the chance of upgrading this place is unlikley, its been like this for years. I am forced to stay here cause its the closet place to where a realtive lives.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2004

We stayed at Turf Valley for a friend's wedding. The experience was awful. First of all, the room was extraordinarily small, and faced a large parking lot. The other available rooms faced a large pool with no water in it. In addition, the walls were paper thin; we could hear everything that happened in every room that adjoined ours. This problem was compounded by the fact that other guests at Turf Valley were perhaps not whom you'd want to meet at a "resort." There were people at the hotel blasting gangster rap from the parking lot on two nights, and also some late night revellers in the next room. Though we called management, they preferred to stay uninvolved. Finally, on the day we left, one of the housekeepers "accidentally" let a different guest into our room, and allowed the guest to take one of our possessions out of the room. Though we did receive sympathy from the management, they did not take responsibility for the actions of their staff. I would rather have not gone to the wedding, than to have stayed at such a place. If you go here, don't plan on sleeping, and don't bring anything valuable.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Four Seasons Baltimore
Four Seasons Baltimore
#3 of 66 in Baltimore
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,301 reviews

Been to Turf Valley Resort? Share your experiences!