“Great for Golf”

Turf Valley Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ellicott City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed November 16, 2013

This facility is very well maintained and is up to date. The grounds are immaculate and the golf course was equally impressive from the hotel. This is a large facility with the ability to accommodate large meetings. The room was clean and well maintained. The only change I would have hoped for was the heating and cooling system was loud.

The meeting space was large but very nice. Overall this facility was a good value for the nightly price and for the golfer would probably be a valued retreat.

The restaurant did not open for breakfast until 7 so for those with early schedules this could be an issue. The food was excellent but slightly on the high side.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Turf Valley Resort

Reviewed November 11, 2013

This was my second time at this location for an annual conference. The whole facility is clean with helpful staff. My room was in newer wing I think, seemed more modern and newer than the room in the older section when I stayed here 2 years ago. The only comment I have about the rooms is that the door and toilet almost touched when closing the door because the bathrooms are on the smaller side of hotel bathrooms. The counters seemed unusually far away from the mirror, so a magnifying or extendable mirror would be a nice addition. My room was on the 5th floor and was quiet despite being near the ice machine. A slight disappointment was the fact that the spa doesn't do hair or nails (really could have used a relaxing manicure!). The meals we had for the conference were good for banquet food; the chicken at dinner WASN'T dry like other places I've been to and the breakfasts and lunch were good also. Its a long drive but I would come back. Overall this is a nice hotel with friendly staff and a variety of conference rooms.

Room Tip: higher floor and on the newer wing are nicer and quieter
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Was here for a conference. The rooms are old and outdated. The lighting in the rooms is very very dim. This is including the bathroom. However, the bed was very comfortable. There are no bellmen to help with luggage but the front desk staff will help you if you ask. Staff here is very nice.
My main complaint was the conference food. The food was just not good. Tasteless steaks, mashed potatoes that were actually hard. The entire lump could be picked up at one time with a fork. Crumbly powdered eggs, cold turkey sausage, overdone fish. I was glad to get home and cook something decent. Couldn't face breakfast on the last day. Went to the diner down the street to have a decent breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We had our Fund Raising event at this hotel. I would suggest you choose a different hotel. The food was terrible and they ran out the replacement food was worse then the original food. The rooms were not clean and the ballroom we had our event in was dirty and smelled.

Room Tip: The standard rooms are very small and not very well kept.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Mary C
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I have watched Turf Valley grow from a country club with three golf courses to a respectable conference center with hotel rooms and restaurant.

To my family Turf Valley is a community. We had to say good bye to our community earlier this year after deciding to move down south. I have been a member for many, many years. My experience has been playing golf, living on the property, dining, and attending weddings.

No one does it better when it comes to weddings and golf than Turf Valley.

PGA Spinnato leads a crew of true gentlemen who made us feel like members of a world class county club.

Mike Powell, hardest working gentlemen at Turf Valley, made us feel welcome with our own oasis at Member's Grill. He hosted us multiple times in his restaurant, Alexandra's, which lately has become the neighborhood gem (best Thanksgiving Brunch in the area)

Serol Gurun, a true class act, has raised the standards of service in the hotel and made us call Turf Valley home during our transition living in the extended-stay apartments. My wife and I got to meet all our neighbors which became friends.

Signore Pete continues to represent what his father, Mr Mangione, has started a long time ago. His relationship with the members - including playing in our outings, will always be remembered.

I am not a tech savvy individual (my regular readings include the AARP magazine and TV Guide). But, I thought this would be a nice way to pay back my respect and gratitude.

Handicap 9

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank handicap9
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We had to occasion to stay here last week for a family funeral. I have been to Turf Valley on several occasions for different banquets but have not stayed here before. Wow! what a nice surprise. When I called the reservation desk just the day before and told her why we were coming, she immediately quoted us a bereavement price. When we arrived to check in, Stephanie immediately upgraded both our rooms to a king suite without even asking! Stephanie, you rock and we really did appreciate your kindness and attention during this stressful time. The rooms were gigantic and so well appointed as were the bathrooms. Yes this is an older building but it has been rehabbed and done quite well. It was peaceful and quiet until 6:30 a.m. the next morning when the construction crews started up right outside our window. Of course we understand that there must be construction but at 6:30 a.m.? This was our only complaint. We also had a WONDERFUL dinner at Alexander's which is the in-house restaurant. Crab cakes and steak were outstanding. We would most certainly stay here again. Of course the grounds are just gorgeous because it is a golf resort mainly. Oh and I forgot, my sister & I made use of the indoor pool & spa which too was just wonderful.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BessieKM
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Turf City Resort is an excellent location for a business conference. It has 36 holes of golf, a spa, exercise facilities and a great location near Washington, DC. The food is the best banquet and conference food ever. Only downside is the well-used interior furnishings. Worth a look for a conference.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
#4 of 12 in Columbia
Sonesta ES Suites Columbia
Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel
Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore

Been to Turf Valley Resort? Share your experiences!