“bare bones”

Turf Valley Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ellicott City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 6, 2012

If you just want to golf, this place would be fine. There are no other amenities available , the spa is not great, there is no one around to assist you if you need anything, no help with luggage available, no shop for anything you may have forgotten. The front desk staff is friendly but slow and has no information for travelers to the area.

If you are looking fo a family or couples resort, move on.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Turf Valley Resort

Reviewed October 6, 2012

My wife and I were looking forward to a relaxing evening including a nice dinner at Turf Valley's signature restaurant. We've dined there before there renovations and had a great experience the first time back in Feb 2012. However, we ha a very different experience in Sep 2012. Let me start off by saying the ambiance was fantastic and the decor of the restaurant was inviting and relaxing which was great.

However, there were not enough servers and the servers that they had were less than mediocre at best. We ordered drinks and our server forgot to pick them up multiple times. We ordered salad with dressing on the side, an the salad came out after a log wait with dressing covered all over it. When the salad order was remade, it took almost 15 minutes.

We both ordered filet minion as our entree it was served in what looked like microwave thin fries which had an awful taste. Furthermore, I ordered my filet Pittsburg style medium and it tasted like they flamed the top and bottom with a torch as it tasted like gasoline and the inside was raw.

My wife ordered her filet well done and it came out alright without the disgusting taste if gasoline.

I told my server about it, and nothing was done to correct it. In fact he thought it was funny that I sliced the top and bottom of the filet to try and eat the middle layer...

The desserts, were very good though.

My recommendation, maybe it was just a fluke, and they are not normally this horrible, but we will not be coming back to this resort again. We will find another spa/hotel/dinner location for next time.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This place is anything but resort. Tonight there is no hot water in the room. The linens are smelly, and the bedding is from the times of the Great War. The bath tub is dirty. The signs of long overdue repairs are everywhere, in the dirty grout, bad faucets, dirty carpets and unwashed towels. How many more times can one say DIRTY!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Travelwellcomfort
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Facilitated a group's retreat and stayed overnight. Attractive resort, beautiful grounds, very generously sized rooms. Very clean. Pleasant staff. Super-great seafood salad; it alone warrants visiting. Understand from client that prices were reasonable. Definitely would revisit, even book for an event.

Room Tip: Ask for room with golf-course/water view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My friends were getting married at this resort - if nothing else it is picturesque enough to be a wonderful spot for a wedding.
The rooms are spacious. We rented a hotel room with another couple, and our room came with a bedroom (with a partition instead of a door) and a living room with a pull out sofa. Both couples had enough room to maneuver and still maintain a little privacy.
The room itself was comfortable and nicely decorated. The bathroom was large and there was a small food preparation area and eating table. The hallways were a little dated, but overall I was impressed.
The best thing about this hotel (I don't golf although the grounds are beautiful) was the pool. It was large enough to swim laps. It looked more like a neighborhood pool, with towels provided, than the dinky hotel pools I am used to.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My wife and I enjoy living in DC and not having any kids yet. We dine out almost every night and continuously seek stay-cation deals on Living Social.

Turf Valley Resort is only 45 minutes outside DC. We got a deal that included room, a bottle of wine and a gift card. Our experience was wonderful.

I must first acknowledge and recognize that this property did not by any means treat us any differently - (if you buy from Living Social or any online websites you can relate...). There was no hidden cost to this promotion and our gift card was provided at check in with no condition to spend later. In fact we were encouraged to use their spa, golf courses and dining facilities.

The arrival gives you a sense of escape. Beautiful grounds. The front desk staff is superb. The gentlemen who checked us in and assisted multiple times during our stay was a true class act. Extremely professional and well knowledgeable about the resort and area.

The Spa was a treat for my wife. The serenity room is tastefully decorated. The treatments were well done.

The restaurant is a great value. The food was delicious and service was friendly. (Note to DC snobs: do not expect fine dining by any means - but again you are out here to relax so that should not be the case). I must also add - we were not in the mood for wine and the staff exchanged our bottle of wine for apple cider and treated us to coffee the following morning.

The resort has an outdoor pool, tennis courts, and an indoor pool. We made the most out of a one night stay. The gentlemen at the desk gave us a very well appreciated late check out the following morning.

We will be back to this property. You dont get this kind of all in one resort near DC with this kind of value and levels of service.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the golf course.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GO_CAPS1977
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I attended a business conference at Turf Valley The facilities are fine (a little dated). The food in the restaurant was good, their wine special was great. The primary attraction is the 36 holes of golf. Unfortunately, thunderstorms prevented me from playing more than 12 holes, but the holes I did play were in great shape. The Pro-Shop provided great rental clubs, year old Taylor Made and the staff was accommodating. Not sure I'd take my family here, it’s more a conference and events center than a resort.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
#4 of 12 in Columbia
Sonesta ES Suites Columbia
Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel
Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore

Been to Turf Valley Resort? Share your experiences!