“A Business (RETREAT)”

Turf Valley Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Ellicott City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 18, 2011

I came to Turf Valley to represent my company at the Forman convention. Although business it felt like a retreat. I got to play golf, dine, and get some rest. The courses are in top notch condition. The facility is a great conference center. The room met my expectations. The k cup coffee machine was great. The food was delicious. The staff was very friendly. I hope to come back next year. (only comment: i assume it was very busy because there were always trays from room service on my floor)

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Turf Valley Resort

Reviewed September 18, 2011

We were there for a wedding. Service was great and staff was fantastic. They were Nazis about the outdoor pool. As a Navy diver, I couldn't wade in the shallow end of the pool (3 feet) with my kids until the 16 year old lifeguard whose legs are smaller then my arms showed up. Insurance - roger that.
The restaurants were simply amazing. Lots to do there also if you're not a golfer. A little far from everything else, so unless you want to drive a few miles, you almost have to eat there

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank Any_Ocean_Anytime
Reviewed August 30, 2011

We came to Turf Valley for our cousin's wedding. The property is beautiful. The area was expecting Hurricane Irene. The family was very happy how Turf Valley was preparing and offering alternatives. Our room was lovely. A nice suite. The event was one to remember. The ballroom was nicely decorated and staff was attentive. We enjoyed the food. Had drinks later in the lounge with live music. As we went to sleep the hurricane hit. The next morning we woke up to no power. Restaurant still offered a breakfast option and there were staff bringing coffee from a local Starbucks. The reception staff worked very well under lots of pressure. Overall we had lots of fun and left very happy. Thank You, Judy

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 30, 2011

My sister-in-law and I had planned a trip to Myrtle Beach, SC, but at the last minute the trip was cancelled (due to Hurricane Irene), so what to do??? My sister suggested TURF VALLEY RESORT. What a great suggestion!!! From the moment we checked it to the moment we checked out...we were treated royally. Faith, the concierge, could not do enough to make our stay more comfortable. Beautiful rooms, beautiful surroundings, great looking golf course, spa, indoor/outdoor pools... and our dining experience? AWESOME!!!!
There is so much to keep you entertained.
Thanks to the staff of this wonderful resort, keep up the great work.
We loved it and we'll be back...soon! :)

Thank
JfromMD

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 29, 2011

Stayed here for a family reunion. Rooms were nice and ours had a beautiful view of the golf course. However, the a/c was very noisy and inconsistent. Either too cold or too hot! Room was clean but carpet was worn. Bath needed some work to get rid of a little black mold in the edge tiles.
Breakfast was buffet only that weekend although server agreed to let us get muffins and coffee/tea for a la carte prices. When I asked for more hot water for tea, no new tea bag was offered. Also, just given a plain generic tea bag when I saw other customers offered a choice from a tea box!

Family reunion buffet dinner was delicious! However, room was freezing cold. Not too great for our elderly family members.

Tried to get a spa treatment and called a week ahead but they were booked for the weekend. Checked when I got there, but still no luck.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank nwb
abushtv, Manager at Turf Valley Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2011

Thank you so much for your review! Feedback like yours is vital in helping us offer a better guest experience. We are completing a number of renovations throughout the property in the upcoming year and we hope you will visit us again to see what's new!

Andrea Bush
eCommerce Manager
Turf Valley

Reviewed August 23, 2011

Every year my business partner and I go south (Homestead) or north (Nemacolin) to play golf and enjoy a weekend away from the wife and kids. We decided to take a humble approach and stay local. We had never heard of Turf Valley but was impressed from the latest reviews on Trip Advisor.

EAT ?
I will save the best for last. Not sure this property has adopted a food concept that reflects the year 2011. The outdoor pool lacked service. The ice cream/drink shack was closed half the time. To order food you have to make a call, which is eventually delivered in a brown bag. Our hotel floor had room service trays the whole weekend. Dinner on Saturday was a HUGE mistake. The live music was appreciated but did not help improve food quality. The service was very mediocre (a staff of students was not my expectation). Breakfast on Sunday was again a very interesting experience. Lets just say I rather eat my wife's cooking. (Do not let this impact your decision to stay here. Historic Ellicott City offers a nice selection of restaurants. We were just too late consulting with the staff and too tired to leave the hotel from playing golf)

STAY !
The golf packages were limited to rooms with queen beds. However I was interested in the Executive rooms. The room was great. In line with the two properties I mentioned above. Lots of space, modern, kitchenette area, k-cup coffee, comfortable bedding. Although there are no services such as valet parking, doormen, or concierge, I was very impressed by the front desk staff. Note to the wise man on top - renovate your lobby and elevators !

PLAY !
The BEST part of our "hall pass" weekend ! The courses are great. I admired the design and enjoyed the challenge. The cost to play is a bargain. I have been considering to become a member, just waiting on my voicemails to be returned !

+ Overall HIGHLY RECOMMEND to play golf and stay overnight.EXCELLENT VALUE !

Room Tip: Executive Rooms !
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
abushtv, Manager at Turf Valley Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2011

Thank you so much for your thorough review! I'm so glad you enjoyed the majority of your stay so well, and I regret hearing of your trouble with our food and beverage service. I will certainly pass the information you provided on to the appropriate staff.

Again, thank you, and please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you, such as putting you in touch with the appropriate person to discuss membership. I can be reached at visitus@turfvalley.com.

Regards,
Andrea Bush
eCommerce Manager
Turf Valley

Reviewed July 16, 2011

Our son and his new wife spent their first two honeymoon nights at this resort. The

service was above and beyond what we could have hoped for. We were truly

blessed at this fabulous resort. Excellent service and everything we requested

was above and beyond our expectations. Denise and Donna in reservation

took outstanding care of all our needs from across the country. We would highly

recommend this resort for memories of a lifetime !!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
#4 of 12 in Columbia
Sonesta ES Suites Columbia
Sheraton Columbia Town Center Hotel
Royal Sonesta Harbor Court Baltimore

Been to Turf Valley Resort? Share your experiences!