“Great korean bakery/coffee shop”
Review of Shilla & Bakery

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Shilla & Bakery
Ranked #3 of 7 Dessert in Ellicott City
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great korean bakery/coffee shop”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

A great Korean bakery, branching out from their original locations in the DC area.

On evenings/weekends there are a lot of delicious samples sitting out, be sure to try some (one day when I went mid-afternoon, there were no samples). The small cookies are good (but a little pricey). The doughnuts are very good, a bit less sweet and much tastier than most traditional american ones (and cheap).

Espresso is decent and inexpensive There's a lot of seating, and apparently free wi-fi. When I was last there, there was a breakfast/sandwich menu "coming soon".

Highly recommended. Forget Dunkin Donuts-- this is the kind of inexpensive, locally based, unusual pastry/coffee shop I've wanted in my area.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Omar S

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Not your traditional "bakery"”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

This is an Asian bakery, so if you're looking for a traditional bakery with cakes and muffins and cookies (as i was), then you are likely to be disappointed. As I walked in from the parking lot, I walked straight into large "self-serve" tables with hundreds of donut type sweets and sandwiches on them. People then go around these tables with baskets in hand and fill them up with various donuts. I picked a donut sandwich which had one slice of turkey and some vegetables in it. It was OK, but probably not something I would buy again. I thought the donut/bread was greasy and didn't go with what was in it. The vegetables inside were very good though.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Andie1789
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Super yummy desserts!”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Love this place. Just discovered it a few weeks ago. All types of breads and desserts. Lots of samples so if you have never had Korean pastries, you are OK. I made 2 trips within a week. Got different things each time. Various breads and cakes. Not overly sweet, but likely not low calories unfortunately. Wonderful service!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Becky K
Ellicott City
“Great new bakery in the neighborhood!”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We just went to check out this new bakery. We were a little skeptical because it is located in a strip mall on route 40, but it is AMAZING! The place is beautifully decorated with a relaxing, cool French bakery vibe. They offer an enormous selection of fresh baked goods including pastries, cakes, donuts, Savory pastries, breads, and desserts. They will also start serving breakfast and lunch later this month. They are also a coffee/tea house and offer a wide selection of brewed goodness. They serve Illy coffee and I had a soy chai latte that was to die for. This was just what my husband and I were hoping for close to our home! Definitely go and check this out!!! The service was friendly and prompt.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Mary J
Baltimore
“Love the variety!”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

This place... is pretty awesome!

I didn't come here the week Shilla just opened. I heard that during that time period, service was kind of lacking and staff weren't yet accustomed to managing the place. But I didn't experience all of that when I went.

First off, the decor is perfect. I love the style and you could never imagine it'd be so inviting and clean just by looking on the outside. Even the bathrooms are nice. There's a good amount of seating. I love the benches, the metal chairs, and the wooden tables.

Second, I love the variety that is offered at Shilla. From coffees/teas and bubble teas, to bingsoo and cakes (nicely done, by the way!), to Korean pastries that include some interesting choices (such as Korean pizza and tofu snacks, but the regular stuff as well), and even macaroons.

Third, let me emphasize on the bingsoo/shaved ice. It is ridiculously glorious! Never seen so many options in my life. Tiramisu bingsoo?? Pineapple bingsoo?? Holy moly. And these are HUUUGGEE portions. Tons of icecream and large mochi bites. Love it.

Prices vary. Some things are more on the expensive side, but some are actually really good deals. It all depends on what you want to get. Give it a shot!

Visited August 2013