“A nice place”
Review of Bean Hollow

Bean Hollow
Reviewed September 1, 2014

The coffee was good. The prices were reasonable. The staff was friendly and quick. I like the hometown atmosphere.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

I darken the doors of Bean Hollow at least twice a week, usually just for a cup of coffee to take to "work" down the street at the B&O Railroad Station Museum, another Ellicott City institution, probably the best of the bunch.
On occasion I`ve dined at Bean Hollow and the food and service are top notch, a bonus being the tattoos of the young lady employees, a virtual walking art gallery!
Additionally, local artists have their paintings, prints and photographs decorating the walls.
This is a fun, quirky place. It`s probably yet another bonus, in view of Ellicott City`s reputation as one of the most haunted places around, that the building housing Bean Hollow used to be a funeral parlor!

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Visiting my son over Memorial Day weekend, we decided to take a stroll on Main St, in the historic area of Ellicott City. When my 5 year old grandson wanted ice cream,we were conveniently outside of Bean Sensation, which could easily be missed. My wife, daughter in law, and grandson went inside to order ice cream. Within 5 minutes, they returned empty handed. In the meantime, I was listening to people sitting on benches in a little public alcove, raving about the delicious home made ice cream. I also noticed more potential customers walking out empty handed. An ominous sign for any business.
As a former high level corporate officer, I was compelled to go in to find out why so many were leaving without purchasing. I calculated the potential lost sales over a 30 minute period. The amount of money , even for a short time was staggering. Did the owner have any clue? Stay tuned for a bit.
The decor is antique eclectic and old looking. Remember the ECity is known for antique shops. so for this town , their decor is acceptable. Anywhere else in the world, put up the FOR RENT sign.
My wife stated that she left because there was no defined waiting line and she did not want to agitate anyone , who was standing in the queue already. Now , my turn , curiosity running wild.
The restaurant has about 10-12 tables, all occupied , with IMO very delicious looking food. So I try to find what I thought was the line, as the orders are taken in the exact middle of the store. Flunked line choice, where I was waiting, was actually where patrons were customizing there drinks or getting condiments. Those people were not happy with me blocking their sugar , cream , etc. So I moved to the other side. Bingo! , the right line after 10 minutes.If you do not know exactly what you want, finding what to order is a daunting task, of reading hand written menu choices in different areas. But,by waiting,knowing that I wanted ice cream ,the menu was found at the rear of the store. Giving my order to one of the three persons behind the counter, of whom also make your platter ,etc After placing my order for Berger Cookie Ice Cream, in a cup, regular $2.80, my large $3.65. It was truly large and fantastic. If you are unaware, Berger Cookies are a local delicacy and listed in the top 10 cookies in the US by Zagat. Certainly ,one of my favorites, This is the greatest bargain, best ice cream, in a tourist area for the price.
The persons behind the counter are working so hard,but inefficiently, that there is no way they can realize the amount of lost sales, because of operational miscues. Some one in the area please help them! to survive and prosper. Otherwise, these great offerings will disappear. The food , ice cream , salads are a 5. Their business acumen is a 1.
My rating was a 4, because I came for the food, but I would not wait again.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

Good coffe shop with light food - great for a coffee meeting. Cosy - not like some other coffee chains.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

Ellicott City, the location of Bean Hollow, is a very charming little town filled with history, boutique stores and quaint shops - and a number of diverse restaurants. Bean Hollow is more of a coffee shop, though does offer savory comestibles in addition to a number of delicious sweets. The star attraction, though, is the coffee, which is roasted on site, and is always delicious in its various permutations. The décor lends a sense of place, making one's stay both inviting and warm. But what separates this place from the average coffee shop is the staff - young, vibrant, welcoming, fun-loving and always charming - the proverbial “service with a smile.”

The food is always good, probably because the limited menu of sandwiches and salads and soup allows the restaurant to concentrate on making a few delicious items rather than a lot of average ones. The desserts are not made on premises, though are always fresh and delicious - from large slices of cake to simple biscotti, there is a wide range of offerings to placate any palate or appetite.