“Crab cake special almost weekly”

Leelynn's Dinning Room & Lounge
Ranked #3 of 170 Restaurants in Ellicott City
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 23, 2013

My husband comes almost every week on Monday night. No place else in the Mid-Atlantic measures up to Leelynn's in his book. I try different things although usually get Seared Tuna. Good Malbec wine. Nice that they offer a whole page now of Small Plates. Thought the Small Plate Beef (4 oz. filet) and Potatoes looked interesting and while tender, the meat had very little flavor. Always good service.

1  Thank calbrigh

Reviewed November 20, 2013

This was my first visit to Leelyn's. I decided to try the specials of the day, pork belly and Asian grouper. The pork belly was a clear miss. My idea of pork belly is a rectangular slice of pork belly cut thick. The meat should be braised in a liquid flavored with soy/ginger/fruit (something!) at a low temperature to render down most of the fat, making the meat similar to a confit. Then taken out and the skin pan fried or broiled to give the skin a wonderful crackling crispiness. This offering of pork belly was cut thin like a cutlet, dusted with a light breading and pan fried. It lacked any of the sweet, juicy lusciousness that you would expect from this dish. It tasted very bland. The Asian Grouper was better, but still lacked any wow factor which is surprising as it was on a bed of black rice, with a citrus sauce and julienne cut slivers of ginger, Somehow the dish while good, just didn't pop to memorable. I tasted the fried calamari... too oily. Shrimp salad was very good, as was the Maryland crab soup. Wednesday is half price bottles of wine night, that's nice. I think this might be a better restaurant to go to in the summer and sit on the patio with some small dishes and share a few bottles of wine with friends. I'll try it again then.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

What's not to like? Our daughter took us to Leelynn's earlier this summer, and we've been back several times since. There's a nice outdoor patio with umbrellas, a small bar with live music (a couple of times we've been there), and pretty creative menu. The restaurant is attached to/behind a liquor store, so don't be confused when you drive up. We've had wonderful crab cakes (on the expensive side, but if they're good that's what they cost), calamari, some imaginative salads, and there's a nice wine list too. A neighborhood restaurant that is a couple of notches up from your usual local place. It's usually pretty crowded at dinner time, so make a reservation. The patio has more atmosphere than the inside; they could use some softer lighting in the evening.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I joined friends here on a recent visit to the US. We sat on the patio and were given plenty of time to make our meal decisions - not ignored but offered explanation if we needed it and time to make the right choice.

I made the right choice - Maryland crab cakes. They were superb; all super lump meat with delicate spicing and broiled to perfection. They were pretty pricy but well worth it and not over priced considering the market price. They were also VERY big - the serving was two 7oz crab cakes and would normally be far too much for one person. But when you only get to Maryland every few years you just have to get your fill of the best food on earth - Maryland Blue Crab!

We had a great evening, weren't rushed and had excellent service. I'm looking forward to going back again.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

I reviewed this place back in 2009, and finally got the nerve to come back and visit again and give them another chance. Last time we got up and left after half an hour of not being approached by server. This time around, fortunately, the experience is much better. Service was decent, but more importantly all of the food dishes were excellent.