“Not Consistent - Sometimes Good, Sometimes Not So Good”
Review of Nora's Cafe & Bakery - CLOSED

Nora's Cafe & Bakery
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Inside Nora Cafe & Bakery, housemade cakes and Italian-style cookies gather in the long, sloping pastry cases that line one side of the casual dining room. Referencing generations-old recipes, Nora’s team of bakers craft handmade dough to create fluffy, mouth-watering creations.
Ellicott City, MD
“Not Consistent - Sometimes Good, Sometimes Not So Good”
Reviewed August 24, 2011

This is a local dining place for us and at first we liked it and went rather often. But the novelty wore off due to its inconsistency. It is run by an Italian family and they all are quite nice, but there is a language barrier at times. This results in not always getting what you think you ordered, and some days the price is one price, and the next time it is another price. In a short period of time, I paid several difference prices for the same take out order, and it was never worth arguing over because no one would have understood. Some of the soups and sandwiches are good. The salads are not very tasty, and if you go for dinner, the Italian meals are not homemade but more like something you get from the grocery store frozen section. If I am in the area, I still might stop by for soup or a sandwich (again, often not the same as the last time), but that's it. I think the breakfast would be fine, too. Also, there is gelato for those who like it. If I have a choice, I would go elsewhere.

• Visited January 2011
1 Thank DiBowers

Ellicott City, Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Celebration cakes”
Reviewed July 5, 2011

I almost did not order cakes from Nora's because of a previous review. I took a chance and was VERY glad I did. I ordered 2 cakes - Strawberry Shortcake and Chocolate Mousse cake for a graduation/bonvoyage party. Both cakes were outstanding and received rave reviews from every guest. The glazed fruit, pastry cream and decoration was perfect. The cake is definitely european style (denser than our supermarket cakes). The employees were polite and attentive even while I was indecisive about what I wanted. I was even offered a gratus coffee or iced tea. Worth the price.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank trm1020
Ellicott City, Maryland
“rude and not welcoming”
Reviewed June 14, 2010

Went to Nora's Cafe to eat a late lunch with my sister and her fiance who were visiting from out of town. We walked in at 2:15, and I noticed a waitress sitting down (more like slouching down). I knew she had to be the waitress because she had on a black apron. She did not look happy to be there and did not greet us or smile. I asked her if we seat ourselves. After deciding on a table and sitting down, she came over and asked us if we planned to dine in. We replied yes, and she stated that they close at 3pm. We took that to mean that we were not welcomed there and left promptly. It was my first and last time there.

“Horrible Birthday Cake!”
Reviewed March 23, 2010

Last week stopped in to order a birthday cake for my husband. I watched as the man wrote my order down. Two days later I was back to pick up the cake and noticed that it was not decorated the way I had requested, but still it lookd nice. Later that night as we cut into the cake we found it to be DRY and STALE, as if it had been frozen previously. It was not even close to the cake that I had ordered! The cake portion was horribly dry, they added two layers of chocolate cream plus cherries -- I did not order that at all. Even the frosting was wrong. I ordered Butter Cream and they gave me something resembling whipped cream. We tossed it in the trash and went to Safeway and bought a wonderful cake at less than half the cost of what Nora Cafe & Bakery charged me! I will never go back nor will I recommend this place to anyone.

ellicott city MD
“Great food, great service,friendly people.”
Reviewed December 23, 2009

Nora's has been our first choice for restaurant for breakfast for the last 4 years. We love the food and the service. It is also an excellent bakery and offers great gelato. They offer a large choice of custom baked desserts as well as wedding and birthday cakes. They also organize a Thursday night dinner with live music and reservations. We recomand it !