“We enjoyed it.”

Dining options: Reservations
Hughesville, MD
“We enjoyed it.”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

My husband and I were hungry after hiking the Trolley #9 trail. We arrived at the restaurant at 11:10a and were given breakfast menu's. We were ready for lunch. We were told that they don't start serving lunch until 11:30a but would be glad to start earlier for us, we thought that was very nice. I had the Greek Salad which was large and delicious. I also had a cup of the Vegetable Crab Soup, it was good but I have had better. My husband had the Reuban sandwich, it was large and came with very good french fries. Total lunch $25.87, which was fair. Staff very pleasant and attentive. Would return again.

• Visited July 2013

Madison, New Jersey
“Casual Atmosphere and Great Service”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

This is a great Family restaurant. We have been to this restaurant on many occassions and there are several things you will always find, Great food, Great atmosphere and Great service. The location in Historic Ellicott City and the History of the Restaurant just add to the overall experience. The staff is always so friendly and on several occassions I have taken my 3 year old grandson and the staff is wonderful to him. If you enjoy a good breakfast at a reasonable price the Trolley stop is a MUST!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Mark B
Baltimore, Maryland
“A Family Favorite”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

This is our go-to restaurant for our family of six. They offer the usual assortment of soups, salads, burgers, wraps and entrees for a reasonable price. Each member of the family has a favorite food, including our vegetarian who has an assortment of dishes that he likes, depending on his mood. Our daughters like the wraps. I'm partial to the French dip. My husband often chooses the daily special. The staff is very friendly and efficient. The also have Sunday breakfast, not brunch. No need to pay $$$ when all your are eating is eggs, bacon and toast.

• Visited March 2013
State College, Pennsylvania
“Terrific crab cakes and great atmosphere”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Treat yourself to a visit to the Trolley Stop, one of the best restaurants in the historic district of old Ellicott City, Maryland. Strictly speaking, I suppose the restaurant is technically in Oella, the Baltimore County town that is right across the river from Howard County and Ellicott City's historic downtown; but considering that when you step out the door, you are looking right at downtown Ellicott City, with the oldest railroad depot in America and the church where Babe Ruth got married, I'm not disposed to quibble about what town or county the restaurant is located in.

The important thing is that this is a fun and atmospheric restaurant with great food. The building goes back to the 19th century, and its name stems from the fact that the old #9 Trolley Line from Baltimore stopped at that building (the line is now a gorgeous and scenic walking trail, an ideal place to take a walk and work up an appetite before lunch or dinner). The brick work on the inside is the real thing -- nothing put-up or gentrified here. The walls are covered with photos and graphics that illustrate the history of the region, with particular emphasis on the Oella area (see, I *told* you it's really in Oella) and the many times when the Patapsco River has flooded the region, such as Tropical Storm Agnes in 1972. Visit this restaurant, and you'll not only enjoy a great meal but also learn a lot about the history of the Patapsco River Valley.

The service is friendly, cheerful, down-to-earth, and unpretentious, and the food is marvelous. I had the lump crab cake sandwich -- big gorgeous lumps of crabmeat on the inside, well seasoned, with a nice remoulade sauce on the side. The french fries are crispy on the outside, warm and soft on the inside -- perfect. The cream of crab soup was on special that day, and it was rich and flavorful. I also got to try the shrimp melt, and it too was spicy and delicious.

The restaurant draws a fun and friendly cast of characters, and there's always something interesting going on. For example, the background music that's playing from the bar, right by the keno screen (an inevitability at many Maryland restaurants), is usually classic rock; but one day when we were there, the music kept getting switched to Bad Company. A song by Pink Floyd, or AC/DC, or Grand Funk Railroad, or Bachman-Turner Overdrive, would start playing; but then there'd be a brief interruption, and it was back to "Rock and Roll Fantasy" or "Feel Like Makin' Love." Maybe a customer who's a big Bad Company fan kept making music requests; I don't know. I mention this only because, if you're the stuffy type who defines a restaurant experience in terms of austerity and sterility, the Trolley Stop is probably not for you. But if you're a real person who enjoys good food in a fun and informal setting, and if you appreciate the wonderfully quirky spirit that is so much a part of the life of Greater Baltimore (still my favorite part of the United States), stop at the Trolley Stop. You will not be disappointed.

• Visited December 2012
“Delicious food at a great price”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

This is a great restaurant in historic Ellicott City. I feel it has the best value for the money if you are looking for something cheap and good tasting.

The menu has all of the usual fare (burgers and house sandwiches) and daily special. My two favorites are the burgers and the Trolley #9. Plenty of fries, free refills, cosy atmosphere, nothing ever feels rushed, and the food always comes out out.

Sometimes service can be slow. It seems that sometimes there aren't enough waitresses to handle momentary increases in customers but it's not something that it very bothersome.

• Visited May 2012