“A fantastic experience. Will go again very soon.”
Review of Johnny's Bistro on Main - CLOSED

Johnny's Bistro on Main
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed November 16, 2013

A fantastic experience. Everything was perfect as far as the food. The servers were too anxious to be helpful but they were young. It's hard to complain about trying too hard.

I had the Gobbler which is a panini with turkey, brie, greens and pesto. Perfect combination and wonderful, crisp bread. And the homemade slaw was fantastic. Vinegar base versus mayo made it lighter and a good compliment to the meal. The owner Johnny came out to check on the diners and seemed genuinely interested in how we liked the meal. His recommendation to try the bread pudding with bourbon sauce was spot on. The best I've ever had. It was also made there.

I will make a point to come back at my next opportunity.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Our first time to Ellicott City, MD - 6 friends getting together - looking for a good place to relax and have simple dinner but good food - we were greeted by a very warm welcome - gentleman behind the kitchen counter - not realizing he is the 'Johnny' (owner). Pizza was amazing!!! but bread pudding and crème brulee - the best!!!!
Highly recommended!!!! right on the Main St.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I've lived in the area for over 10 years and passed the place lots but never went in. It was outstanding. Things I liked lots: wife loved the homemade sangria, they had a decent beer list, and food was very very good. I had the clam chowder and stuffed mushroom tapas. Superb. My wife had a panini. It was very good, too (I ate half). Place was spotless, and lots of attention paid to detail in decorations, including the bathroom. I liked how the chef came out and talked about his food a little bit, too. There was nothing I didn't like, but things that may annoy some: The service was very knowledgeable and courteous, but slightly over attentive. It was a little dark in the dining room. Finally, the portions aren't large, which is probably why a few reviews complained about price. Personally, I liked that I didn't feel like they were shoveling food in me.

Overall, this place is a gem. I don't know how I overlooked it and will go back.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

We always stop by and eat here after stumbling on it while exploring old Ellicott city - which is interesting in itself. Love the warm mushroom salad, the soups, the pizzas etc. which are all very nicely done at reasonable prices but you must save room for dessert. The Creme Brulee is absolutely perfect - creamy with vanilla bean seeds in the bottom and a perfectly carmelized crust. We hear the bread pudding with bourbon sauce is just as good which is unbelieveable so we are trying it on the next visit. We have taken many friends and family here and no one is ever disappointed. The creme brulee is just as good as anything we had in Quebec which is loaded with stellar French cooking.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

When I first moved to the area, and saw Johnny's Bistro from the outside, I got excited. This looked EXACTLY like the kind of place my wife and I wanted to frequent as residents of Main Street. Outside dining, cute facade...we were all in.

The food is not bad by any means, but it's not very extraordinary either. Many of the paninis are things that you could make at home with a George Foreman grill, and sort of taste that way too. I much prefer the pizza, which has a very thin flaky crust with lots of unique options. I'd definitely lean towards those items if you're visiting. They have an okay wine selection, but definitely get the sangria, which is homemade and quite good. It will complement almost anything that you get. Service was perfectly acceptable.

Ultimately however, I don't feel like the food is worth the money, as prices can be rather high. We will go again I'm sure, but given so many quality options in Old Ellicott City, put this near the bottom.