“We felt extremely fortunate to have found this comfortable, quiet haven in the Baltimore area.”
Review of The Wayside Inn

The Wayside Inn
Big Sky, Montana
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Warm and friendly hosts, beautiful and interesting B & B, quiet and secluded yet easily accessible. It was the perfect place to stay when visiting in the Baltimore area.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Churchton, Maryland, USA
Reviewed September 24, 2010

We eloped to Ellicott city in September of '95. We celebrated our 15 year anniversary returning to the city in which we were wed. We stayed in the "Ellicott Room" at The Wayside Inn. The room was awesome, the service was awesome and it was only 2 miles from historic Ellicott city. I highly recommend this B & B to anyone wishing to explore the beauty and wonder of Ellicott City Maryland.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
Reviewed August 16, 2010

This is a lovely old house, but the folks running it seem to be very much on their own plan. I had told them I was short of time when checking in, but they still seemed surprised that I did not want a whole tour. I was told breakfast was at 9:30, when I said that was too late for me, they told me well maybe 8:30. I have been at many places where they offer fruit or other cold food if you can't make the breakfast, but no such offer here. The room was nice enough, though the bed was not particularly comfortable and there was no temperature control in the room. There was a TV with satellite. It was also on a very busy road. I thought it was ok, but quite overpriced ($199) for what it was and I wouldn't go back

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank scubed0127
York, PA
Reviewed June 20, 2010

I was so excited when I first contacted the Wayside Inn to see if they had room for me, a few close friends, and my grown children for the weekend of my daughter's wedding. I had been a little disappointed that she was getting married in Washington, DC, instead of our home town, York, PA. David assured me there was the needed space and that my almost two-year-old grandson would be welcome.

I was sold by the phone conversation and thrilled when I visited the B&B to check it out. It is a three-story stone 1700's house - my personal favorite historical time. It is decorated to fit the period and yet has state of the art bathrooms for each room. The architect has successfully preserved the historic ambiance while providing all the modern comforts expected by American travelers. The inside is beautifully decorated, and the grounds were beautiful in June. The common room overlooks a lovely yard and pond.

On seeing it, my daughter also loved it. In the end, she stayed two nights, hosted a brunch for her school friends on Saturday morning, and she and her husband hosted a brunch on Sunday morning for close friends, relatives, and out-of town guests. In addition to caring for our normal hotel needs, David provided the two lovely brunches and a light lunch for those who were not going early to the church on Saturday. The location was wonderful, adequately close to the church in NW Washington, close to the reception in Laurel, MD, and right next door to Ellicott City offering great restaurants and quaint shops for those with time to explore.

I would recommend this to anyone who loves B&B's. There are no elevators, of course. David was very helpful when needed, but I felt as though I was the hostess for our many and varied guests -- only I didn't need to do the cleaning or cooking.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank catherinefillmore
Ellicott City, Maryland
Reviewed May 31, 2010

We held our faculty retreat there on May 17-19, 2010. Since this was mid-week we had the use of all of the rooms on the first floor. The meeting room can comfortably fit approximately 15-16 people. There is also a living room, small library and dining room that we used as well. Unfortunately it rained when we were there. If the weather is nice the grounds are beautiful and can be used as well. One of the retreat facilitators stayed at the inn and was very complimentary of the room and service.

The host, Mr. Balderson was very accomodating and the perfect host. The food was excellent. It was a great place for us to meet and be away from campus. It certainly is better than another meeting at a cold hotel room.

If you are staying at the inn it is also very close to historic Ellicott City where there are great restaurants and antique shops.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 11, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Wayside Inn last weekend. We were in town for a relative's anniversary party. Instead of staying at a hotel, we decided on a B&B. What a great decision. This inn is absolutely charming inside and out. The rooms were beautifully decorated and very comfortable. The innkeepers were very personable. Our breakfast was not only fabulous tasting, but enjoyable as well. We sat with another couple and the innkeepers and talked far past check out time. We have stayed at numerous B&B's on the East Coast, and this was one of the best.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Ellicott City, MD
Reviewed July 5, 2009

My husband and I spent our wedding night at The Wayside Inn. It was perfect - we arrived with dinner reservations at a local restaurant, but we were too exhausted to leave the room. Susan looked at us and helped to arrange for dinner which we ate in bed that evening.

We stayed in the Terrace Room which was beyond perfect. The room has a separate entrance and feels tucked away from the rest of the inn. The bathroom was huge and beautiful and the bed and fireplace made for a cozy, romantic evening.

My sister arranged for flowers and champagne which was the perfect end to a perfect day. The roses were beautiful; they were still nearly perfect when we arrived home from a 10-day honeymoon.

Breakfast the next morning was delicious and our visit was topped off with two complimentary mugs.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Sonesta ES Suites Columbia
Sleep Inn & Suites Downtown Inner Harbor
Hampton Inn & Suites Columbia / South
DoubleTree by Hilton Columbia

Been to The Wayside Inn? Share your experiences!