“Noisy, slow with bad coffee”
Review of Eggspectation

Eggspectation
Ranked #5 of 169 Restaurants in Ellicott City
Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 28, 2009

First, we live in Ellicott City and we are always on the lookout for local places with a good breakfast/brunch/lunch menu. The menu has a good assortment of breakfast dishes including some you may not find at other locations. They also have a good selection of fruit smoothies and my son always enjoys one each time we're there, although not all of them are sweet. I personally do not care for their roasted potatoes that come with many of the different egg dishes and they have been unable to substitute them for me each time I asked. The restaurant is very noisy, chilly, and on a Sunday morning, expect to wait 45 minutes to an hour for a seat (not worth it to me). My biggest complaint about Eggspectations is their coffee. I am not a coffee snob but I do like a good cup of coffee, and every single time I have experienced coffee worse than you might find at a gas station. Actually the gas station down the road has better tasting coffee. It is bitter, stale, and tastes burnt. I'm a coffee lover and can drink a pot all by myself at other restaurants, but I'm so turned off by the coffee that I cannot enjoy my breakfast or brunch. The selection of cakes in the front case is always tempting but I do not have much desire for red velvet cake in the morning. I won't return for awhile and when I do, I will be prepared to drink something other than coffee. We always leave somewhat disappointed.

There are newer reviews for Eggspectation

Reviewed March 23, 2009

I have been coming here for over 5 years and I have to be honest, I don't come as often, but I do still eat here.

The Good:

Food selection, reasonable prices for Columbia/Ellicott City, can order any food at any time of the day, great happy hour, and very good desserts.

The Bad:

Long waits and in the cold winter months no one wants to wait outside and wait service needs to be retrained for my fiancee and I have had some horrible experiences. (One time our waitress billed another customer for our entire meal. Sounds great, but what a horrible mistake on her part.) Additionally, it is noisy and the chairs and booths are not very comfortable and their crepes are never tasty or fresh.

The score: There are not many places to eat breakfast in the Columbia/Ellicott City/Elkridge area. I now only come here for breakfast or early lunch. Other than that, there are too many restaurants in the area to be hooked on this one alone.

Reviewed March 18, 2009

The good: lots of selection--lots of good food, from breakfast through entrees (one of the few places you can get a waffle any time) Prices are reasonable--you can get a decent meal for about $10 and get better quality for the $ than other places.

The bad: LOUD, LOUD, LOUD. Has lots of metal ceiling,, pipes, and no spray-type sound absorption or cloth material. Okay when it's quiet (which seems rare) but miserable when it's full It may help the tables turn over quickly but it also means we avoid the place a lot--unless we're out earlier in the morning or later in the afternoon (some of their other locations do seem to have sprayed-over metal to provide better sound absorption) Service can be on the slow side when they're busy (often).

Reviewed February 26, 2009

I will never go back. The staff is unfriendly and the food was not what I expected. I had the eggs benedict and the eggs tasted like moldy something. My friend had an omelet and said it was ok. Coffee was weak. Would not recommend to friends.

Gary S.
Elkridge, MD

Reviewed August 3, 2008

The food is pretty good, but depending on the service, you may not get it when it's hot. The smoothies are good, but a little pricey.