“dining alone: beware”

Alexandra's American Fusion
Reserve with OpenTable
Alexandra's American Fusion is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 168 Restaurants in Ellicott City
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Rt.40 & Turf Valley Road
Description: Alexandra's American Fusion and Chef Chris Vocci integrate inspiration from southern style flavors, a Caribbean and Creole palette, and Chesapeake Bay seafood staples to create a mouthwatering seasonal American Fusion menu. From the atrium-style restaurant to private and semi-private event rooms to outdoor dining on the patio (with a fantastic view of the golf course!), the perfect experience awaits you at Alexandra's. Don't miss the area's most popular Sunday Brunch and indulge in your favorite brunch and lunch items, along with unlimited Champagne, bloody marys, mimosas, and non-alcoholic beverages and live music. Meeting friends for a cocktail? Fairway Lounge, our upstairs bar, offers a wide selection of spirits, as well as craft, import, and domestic beers. Enjoy live music on Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday evening - and maybe even the occasional bar magic trick.
maryland
“dining alone: beware”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Alexandra's dining room is beautiful, a three story ceiling and floor to ceiling windows. There are about 15 tables on the main floor. Of these tables, about 6 are "high tops" or bar height tables furthest away from the windows. In addition there is a small bar. Next to the bar, in the "lounge area" which is more of a brightly lit service area than a dining room. Even though there were many empty tables on the main floor, the maitre d' Bonnie, would not allow me to sit there. She said, "all those tables have reservations." So I got the lounge, along with the staff who were punching in their orders, picking up their drinks, and watching TV.

My salad and dessert were good, the Kobe sliders were very good. I arrived at 6PM and happy hour until 7 meant great prices on appetizers. I really enjoyed the mulled wine with spiced rum and a cinnamon sugar rim. The acoustic guitar player performed a nice mix of pop songs and instrumental pieces. My server Nabeel was very friendly and efficient.

When I left at 8:15, all those empty tables were still empty. And most other tables on the main floor were now also empty. So I wasn't allowed to sit in the main dining room with all those empty tables, and that still stings. Because I was dining alone? or what?

I'd like to support our local businesses, the venue is beautiful, the food was good and happy hour prices are a bargain. I would like to return, but I don't want to cause a scene just to get a table in the dining room if I'm by myself.

• Visited January 2014
abushtv, Manager at Alexandra's American Fusion, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I am so glad that you enjoyed your meal, but I am certainly sorry to hear that you were left feeling disappointed with your experience because of this seating situation. I have passed your comments on to our team so that they can be addressed.

Please let me know if you have any other concerns or questions, or if there is anything else I can do for you.

Andrea Bush
eCommerce Manager
Turf Valley/Alexandra's American Fusion

Walnut Creek, California
“Good food ”
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

We ate on a Saturday night. While the food was quite good the service was a bit slow. Also a loud private party adjacent to the dining are had music which was quite intrusive.

“Very nice surprise”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Food excellent, the service the same. Enjoy ! Morning,lunch or dinner .Do not forget to bring your friends.

Visited December 2013
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Poor service”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I made the reservations on Open Table. I specifically noted that it was our 21st wedding anniversary. Not expecting any freebies, but a simple acknowledgement to surprise my husband. We arrived and as the hostess seated us, she said, "You were put at a high top (back of the restaurant), but I thought you'd like a regular table better." There were three other tables filled at the time. Well, gee...thanks for not seating us at a bar table. Weird.

The water fillers were very attentive--thank goodness because our female server was not.

We were given 2 pieces of bread and bland, unseasoned olive oil.

My husband ordered a beer and we each had iced teas. My tea was empty prior to the meals being delivered. It was never refilled. Server was not attentive AT ALL. She did a drive by about 3 minutes after food was delivered, saw the empty beer glass, asked husband if he wanted another drink, yet never even offered for more tea. I was chewing at the time, so I couldn't say anything.

Never saw her again until she came back and asked if we were finished. I had half of my shrimp and grits remaining. She took my plate and I thought, surely she is boxing it up since she didn't even ask "do you want it". Nope. We were shocked. HALF THE FOOD WAS THERE! It was our anniversary and for the price, we were expecting better service. We didn't want to make a big deal about it as to ruin our evening, but it really was bad. Then she came back and said, "Do you want to see dessert menus?" Uh, yeah. Does she have them with her? Nope. Off she goes to get them. We were put out by this point. Didn't offer us coffee or anything. We tried to sit and enjoy ourselves for a little bit, but after 10-15 minutes she came back and even took the signed credit card receipt, which I think is rude. It's like a push out the door. THEY WEREN'T BUSY. There were open tables so it wasn't as though they needed to turn over the tables.

We deliberately stayed local rather than taking our business into Baltimore as we usually do for our anniversary/special dinners. Well, I guess we'll go back to the tried and true success of those restaurants. So disappointing :-(

• Visited December 2013
abushtv, Manager at Alexandra's American Fusion, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Hi, Becky -

Thank you so much for your feedback. I'm very sorry to hear that you had a disappointing experience at Alexandra's. I did pass your comments along to the appropriate team members and your concerns have been addressed with the staff.

Please feel free to contact me at visitus@turfvalley.com if you have any other questions or concerns. We hope that you will join us again.

Andrea Bush
eCommerce Manager
Turf Valley / Alexandra's Restaurant
Southern Maryland
“Yummy, yummy, yummy!”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We had a wonderful meal at Alexandra's on a Monday night too. My sister and husband had the crab cake small platter and I had the small filet...garlic mashed potatoes too. There really is not a whole lot to say but YUMMY! Our compliments to the chef.

• Visited October 2013