“Aweful. Dry and sticky sweet BBQ”

Bare Bones Grill and Brewery
Ranked #8 of 170 Restaurants in Ellicott City
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Came here with some friends on a recommendation. The BBQ is simply aweful. Perhaps it is because I just came back from KC where I ate at Jack Stack and Arthur Bryant's but my 4 buddies did not go to KC and share my unfavorable review. Bare Bones served BBQ chx and ribs that were dry and overly sweet and gooey. The chicken was so dry that we did not finish them. The ribs must have come from straved old dairy cows as they were lacking in meat. To compensate, the chef lathered them with a sweet sauce that could have put us all into a glucose shcok state. The only saving grace were the frieds and beer. Service was adequate. We did complain to the waitress but got a shrug. My suggestion is go get takeout from Andy Nelson's. Worth the ride to Cockeysville to get your monty's worth.

BareBones G, Owner at Bare Bones Grill and Brewery, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Geoffrey,
We apologize that our BBQ was not up to par. We aim to please all of our customers in both food and service. We encourage you to give us another try in the future for a better experience.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

When my brother comes to visit, we go back to one of our favorite places - Bare Bones. Our waitress was cheerful and told us f the specials, but we stuck with our usual choices that are always great. I had the Bare Bones Special Salad and he had a hard time choosing between the Brewmeister Steak or dinner rack. The rack won. We really enjoy the food and atmosphere and think we get a good value for our money.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

I will never understand why people rate this restaurant so highly. We have gone there about 5 times over the course of 10 years. EVERY SINGLE TIME the service is horrific. The food is mediocre. Went there recently with a friend. she ordered soup as appetizer and a steak salad for meal. I ordered ribs. We had to ask the waiter for 1) more ice (are they trying to save money on ice because there was barely any in the iced teas and water) 2) more drinks THREE TIMES 3) bread that went along with my meal The waiter spilled iced tea on the table when refilling the glass. He asked my friend, "Oh, sorry. Did I get any on you?" "Nope." "OK." He walks off, never coming back to clean up the mess all over the table!

Then the meals come out--no appetizer soup. She told him "forget it as I don't want to eat the cream of crab soup with the cold salad together." Two minutes later--here comes the soup. (sigh)

The ribs are not good. They are lathered in BBQ sauce, so that's all you taste. Little meat on the bones. Do people around here rate them highly because they've never had GOOD ribs? It's so sad.

Dessert--which we would have ordered--wasn't even offered.

Keep in mind, we were polite and never complained. Just sat in amazement that AGAIN, this restaurant is just awful. I continue to give them place a chance, but this was the last straw. It's too expensive (if you order the ribs) for what you get, along with the awful, inattentive service. I blame the orders/managers as they obviously do not train their staff how to be attentive servers.

Becky,
First of all, thank you for leaving this feedback. Bare Bones appreciates all sorts of customer comments, as it helps us to continue to grow as a restaurant. Secondly, we would like to apologize that your experiences with us have been less than satisfactory. We aim to provide the best food and service to our customers, and the issues you explained will be addressed with our staff. We hope that you decide to return to Bare Bones in the future.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

We went to Bare Bones with a large group of friends. We had a private room, but it was a little cramped for the number of people in our group. The quality of the service was acceptable. I had grilled salmon with a baked potato and salad. The salmon was all right, but I've had better. Bare Bones has a lively bar area, and this particular evening, there was a live band playing. They were talented.

Thanks for leaving this review! We are happy that you liked the atmosphere of our restaurant and that the band playing during your visit was enjoyable too. We apologize that our food was not up to par, but hope you give us another try in the future.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

I have never had a bad meal here. The food is always good. The Happy Hour is the best in the area! Recently we took some friends here for dinner. The burgers were great and the ribs were wonderful. I will always come back.

Jay,
Thanks for the great review! We are so happy that you enjoy Bare Bones! Come visit us for happy hour or dinner again soon.